newbie advice

siluro

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi guys

Im just about to start getting some new gear together to create my little cinema and, could really use some of you guys advice

im a student and just had to move back home so, im on quite a limited budget, i managed to keep my audio gear as i love my stereo and decided to use this as my sound for my cinema, a technics SU-A707 amp, SH-GE70 dsp/eq, yamaha YST-NS45e speakers and a, YST-SW45 sub. Ive read loads of stuff on here but just when i think ive grasped it i realise im more confused than when i started!.
so what ive been looking at is, if i go the panny pj route for a dvd player it is either a pioneer dv-444 or panny dvd-xvl10 or ive also quite like the sony vpl-c54 which comes with a dvd player? ns400 i think and is suposed to have a built in scan converter, which is my confusion with it all. I plan to use my ps2 on it and run it via composite and the dvd via s-vid but i keep reading things about progressive scan converters, is this whats included in the sony pj or would i still need one or even need it at all. All my dvds are pal and region 2 for the uk

one of the other things thats kinda pushing my budget is the screen, a mate has offered to make it for me from mdf smoothed off and then spayed matt with black borders for one of his projects but is this going to work

so any help with pj`s, dvd or, screen is well apreciated

cheers
lee

Just about all LCD projectors have a "scan convertor" (de-interlacer) and some form of scaling built in. It is the quality of these devices rather than their presence that makes all the difference.

If you're on a budget relax, you don't need to add these right away. Take your time to choose a projector that gets the basics right - good contrast, quiet fan, colour rendition. You can always sort out better de-interlacing later on.

The Sony VPL-CS4 is being cleared out as a special with a DVD player. It is aimed at the business market for portable presentations, so if you can live with the fan noise and lack of ceiling mounting option its OK.

As for DIY screens, there is a whole tribe of HC enthusiasts dedicated to this route. Checkout the DIY forum, you'll find loads of info about the paints they use etc.

Regards

thanks Chris, i did a search and found the diy screans eventualy, so it looks like mdf and icestorm 6 from BaQ...lol. thanks for the info on the pj`s it looks like the panny is a safer bet rather than the sony.

If any one has any opinions on the panny dvd or better ways of connecting them up i would still love to hear cos theres so many gadgets out there, if its possible to take the rgb from the scart on the pioneer and use them as component would this be better than s-vid or composite for example?

once again thanks chris

cheers
lee

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom