• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Newbie Advice

Ronnie Barker

Novice Member
Hi
I am new to AVForums and looking for some help.
I have recently got hold of a 2nd hand Harman Kardon BDS 270 blu-ray/receiver unit without speakers. The unit works fine as a sound system however; it wont play DVD's and occasionally comes up with disk error when playing Blu-ray disks. I have two questions:

1. Is this a reasonably easy/inexpensive fix or should I just play DVD's via my Xbox 360
2. I am looking at purchasing some HKTS 30 Sat speakers but I don't have the space to add a subwoofer. Is this the right way to go or would I be better off cutting my losses and buying a Denon DHT-S514 sound bar and woofer.

Whatever I go for, it will be setup with a Panasonic TX-l42E6B TV, Sky HD & an Xbox 360.

Thanks

mentm

If you are lucky it will just be dust on the laser, anything else probably not worth repairing given the cost of a new player. Personally I would always buy separate components since if one fails you have to replace the lot, so a sound bar may be your best option.

mentm

Depends which sound bar and which 2.1 setup. A proper 2.1 setup with full size speakers will give a fuller sound than any sound bar, but with a sound bar you'll get a fake surround sound effect.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom