1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie advice - Yamaha RXV50

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by phenian, Jan 1, 2005.

Tags:
  1. phenian

phenian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have an ageing Sony DAV S500 and a fairly new Sony Wega TV. The DAVS 500 is having problems and I am looking to change it for an amp and DVD player. I am planning to change all the interconnects and the speaker wire but am hoping to keep the current Sony speakers, although I may look to change them in due course. I have a maximum of £500 although hopefully a good bit less.
    I could do with a bit of advice and suggestions as well as confirming a couple of assumptions I have made

I am looking at the Yamaha RX-V450 amp - is this a decent choice at £190?

DVD player I am undecided on but like the look of the Pioneer DV 570A but I don't think it will read DVD +R disks and I need something that can (any recomendations?)

My TV has S Video input on the front and RGB through SCART on the back. I assume RGB through scart is the best way to deliver the picture to the TV - is this correct and can anyone suggest a decent cable?

In terms of the connections between the DVD player and amp, I assume that I want component cables? Is this correct and if so any recomendations?

I will also be connecting a PS2 which will be digital audio but unsure about video and a Sky box which I assume will be component.

Will my exisiting speakers be ok?

Any help or suggestions very gratefully received.

2. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +228
    Personally I think the RX-V450 is a great amp for the money, as did a few of the magazines a month or two ago.

3. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phenian

The 450 looks a good amp, with a very good spec for the price. As for the DVD player, plenty of peole here have gone for the Pioneer DVD575A - I haven't yet, I'm hoping the new year will bring on some new offers.

There isn't any point using component cables to the amp fromt he DVD player as it would have to use the video out component ports, and your TV doesn't have a compment capability.

If you want to use the amp as a video switch, I think you will have to use s-video. the difference in picture quality between this and the scart connection picture quality is something for the video purists to discuss, but shouldn't affect your enjoyment of new toys at all.

Ian

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    You want coax digital cable to connect the dvd to the amp. Thor scart cabvles are very good cables and can be had for a great price . Try play.com for it or maplins/richersounds.