Newbie advice - struggling with Codec

CodecConfused

Novice Member
Reaction score
Set-up
1. PS5 to Samsung 4k TV via HDMI 2.1 (HDMI ARC port)
2. TV to Bose Lifestyle System 38 via optical cable

Issue
According to Bose I've optimised the set up cable-wise but clearly would appreciate any thoughts if not. I think it'd have been better if I could've connected the PS5 to the Bose amplifier directly but Sony dropped the optical output so have to go via the TV.

My issue is that I am stuck in DTS Neo 2.5 which I understand is a glorified stereo codec and I don't know how to fix it. I know people here aren't too fond of Bose but that's all I got and while old the system does support DTS surround / Dolby Digital - I just can't seem to make it work!

I've tried everything I can think of e.g. changing PS5 output from PCM to Dolby to DTS, trying different sources including Netflix, Disney+, Blue Ray and Amazon Prime - all very recent movies, playing with all settings in the TV.

But my TV only gives me the choice of PCM2.0 or DTS 2.5 Neo with other options (DTS and Dolby Digital) greyed out.

Did I mess up the set up or is my TV unable to channel through the higher grade codecs?

Any advise hugely appreciated - been going at it for hours and Bose support is useless...

Yes very helpful, thanks @DavidT strange though as that seems to be a Samsung specific issue.

So would you recommend getting a splitter to split HDMI from PS5 to TV and optical from PS5 directly to the amplifier? I think that means I'd lose some of the HDMI2.1 benefit but not sure what else to do

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom