1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie advice please - what makes the Panasonic TH37PW7B tick?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by steveatpipex, Aug 18, 2005.

1. steveatpipex

steveatpipex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, great forum this, so pleased i found it before i open my wallet and buy the wrong gear!
    Sounds like buying a telly is a bit more complicated than it used to be now and I'd really appreciate hearing your views and advice please on my options........

Ok, so its time to join the flat screen brigade, my restrictions are that whatever i get must be wife friendly :eek: and i'm hoping to have it up and running for no more than £2500 (give or take). In my case wife friendly means no bigger than 37in screen, must be silver or light frame, the frame has to be as narrow as possible, and must have no speakers built into it ie it has to be as unobtrusive as possible.

In addition, the room is such that the panel must be mounted about 10mts of wire run from the source. I intend to wall mount the panel.

In fact having done the rounds it doesn't leave a lot of choice and I've narrowed it down to the above or a Sharp Aquos LC37GA4E. Now I know both of these models are old stock, but I've managed to source either of them if i act quick enough.

I'm favouring the Panasonic, because the cost will leave me with enough money to get a sound system (Kef 2500 and possibly a Yamaha Amp).

I know the Panasonic requires various terminal boards to accept the video signal. I would like, if at all possible, to have just one input wire (DVI?) running to the panel rather than having to chase several different wires and trunk them round the room.

I will have a DVD, the sound amplifier and a Freeview Recorder.

So, question time please!

Is there a device which will take the signals from the DVD, Freeview and Amp and send it to the panel in just one wire? If so what do I look for. I've heard that some AV Amps do this, is that correct?

Will the Panasonic give a good image? I know its not HD Ready but I don't think I'll need that in the forseeable future anyway!

Is there available wall sockets to allow connections of this type of wire and equipment - I don't want to have the wires just disappearing into the plaster?

Any tips or suggestions, or even any othr suggestions for a TV or Panel?

Thanks in anticipation

2. nak

nak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yes.

That panel is more than capable. That's why I chose it :clap:

Just decide which amp you fancy now. Most new ones have some sort of monitor [out] connection, be it Svideo : Component : or DVI-D

Be prepared to pay a bit for a decent 10m lead though. Oh, and wall terminals are out there. Do a search.

Just make sure you budget 50% for the panel and 50% for the audio set-up [plus leads]

Good luck.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Steve, choose a Topfield freeview box for component video out capability, then a basic component switching amp will do the business for you. It is perfectly possible to buy wall mounted phono sockets, QED do them, and run your cables from this, but it's another joint in your video connections, I'd put some sort of neat outlet plate/hole and not use a joint here at all. You could have a pretty good system based on the Panny 37 for that money, you could go to Gallo speakers, Denon 1906 or Onkyo 502 amp, both of those will switch component video from DVD and freeview recorder, and send it to a component video board in the plasma.

4. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy a 42" plasma and tell her its 37..... theres gotta be a few jokes in that statement lol