1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie advice on DVD/HDD purchase - probably Panasonic

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by smallpaul, Sep 14, 2004.

1. smallpaul

smallpaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi i'm new here so please excuse ignorance...i'm planning to buy a DVDR/HDD combi recorder and spend up to £500 a bit less if possible but maybe more depending on the benefits...Some questions...Panasonic seems to be the most recommended then sony and possibly philips...any opinions welcome

I mainly want to use it to record from TV like a VCR..maybe also archive old video to DVD...(i use a mac and final cut express to do my own vides so ilink not essential but may be a bonus) i guess a good facility for recording programmes via timer or scheduling would be important

Can anyone tell me whats the major difference/advantages between the e85 and e95 and e100 or are some of these redundant models? is the only difference between the E85 and E95 the dv in?

do any of them have a digital tuner. or is there a new model due that i should hang on for?

Do any/all dvd recorders play 5.1 surround from prerecorded dvds or only stereo? if so which machines will (this is because i have surround speakers and amp from my previous pioneer NV55 system that i'd like to play through, the dvd part has died, hence replacement of dvd)

Question is what do people recommend and should i take the plunge or wait a few months for an expected feature development (ie digital tuner)

any help on any of this greatly appreciated either here or via email

thanks in advance :thumbsup:

2. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I can tell you the main differences between the 85 and the 95. The 95 has a 160 GB disk instead of 80 GB, has slots for reading memory cards, and has a quieter fan (apparently). The 100 is a slightly older model than both and has an 80 GB disk. I don't think the 100 can do progressive scan. You can check out their specs here:

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/dvd-recorders/index.htm

All DVD recorders will play back the full 5.1 channels for DVD videos, but for some reason the Panasonics only play back DVD-Audio discs in stereo. DVD-Audio doesn't mean "the audio from DVD discs", it's a special type of audio-only disc for high-quality, multi-channel music. There are very few of the discs around though and most people would probably never own one.

There are currently no DVD recorders that I'm aware of with built-in Freeview decoders. These are on the horizon but I suspect that the first generation ones won't be that good. I would have loved to wait for one but I'd already waited six months and knew that whatever I bought there would always be something better around the corner.

A word of warning about the Panasonics though - if you want to do timed recordings you have to put them into timer mode. If you just program a timed recording and leave it as it is, it won't record! Quite why Panasonic thought this was a good thing is beyond me. When you do put it into timer mode, it stops passing through sound and video, which is equally daft.

Apart from that and a few other little quibbles they are great machines, but if I were in your position and I wanted to do a lot of timed recordings I'd look at other manufacturers.

Regards

Nelviticus

3. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    Toshiba rdsx 32 all the mofo way!

4. JohnC

JohnC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    The E100 is a redundant model now: the current Panasonic HDD/DVDR lineup is the E85, E95 and E500.

Panasonic E95 has the following features above and beyond the E85:
    - iLink (DV) Input
    - SD Card slot
    - PC Card Slot
    - JPEG viewer/slideshow
    - 160GB HDD

Panasonic E500 has the following features above and beyond the E95:
    - MPEG4 recording
    - HDMI Connection
    - DD/DTS Decoding
    - 5.1 DVD-Audio
    - 250GB HDD

There are currently no HDD/DVDRs with a DVB tuner :( It will be next year before we get anything decent - the first model of which will be the Toshiba RDXS34 (due March).

The (recommended) Toshiba RDXS32 is well worth looking at - it is loaded with features so read through the link provided above. The Panasonic models offer upto 3hrs full resolution recording though so if PQ is all important consider one of those.

6. Suzan

Suzan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I searched 15+ sites for best price on Panasonic DMRE85 and found...
    DMRE85, Multiregion, +5 discs
    Including VAT and P&P (arrives next day if order placed before 3pm)

total.......... £434 !!!
    from.... www.digital-point.co.uk

Pretty impressive
    Still to figure it all out though but there you go :)

Suzan

7. JohnC

JohnC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Toshiba RDXS32 is now going for £379
    John

8. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279

According to HCC, the Pan 500 will come with a 400GB HDD. Though I had seen av land stating that it was 250 GB. Would tend to believe HCC, plus there's already a Jap version with 400GB so it would make sense that the UK also gets a 400GB model. Though it will retail for £1,300!

There's also a Sony dvd recorder with a digital tuner. Sony 500 or something!? though I can't remember if it has a HDD!? :confused:

9. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Rob,
    Panasonic have constantly released Japanese versions of their DVD-Recorders with larger HD's than UK. Also we had to wait over a year for component output from when USA/Japan received it. So I would be more inclined to believe AVLAND.

Regarding the sony DVD recorder, from what I've read the digital tuner does not appear to be included in the HD version and if Rasczak says there is'nt one with digital tuner/HD then I believe him!

I was going to wait for the E500, but I suspect that the price for the extra facilities may put it out of reach.

Steve.

10. stuartdcodd

stuartdcodd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    smallpaul

"i guess a good facility for recording programmes via timer or scheduling would be important"

Check out the GuidePlus on the Philips HDRW720 - very easy to use!

Stuart