Newbie Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by OT31, Nov 11, 2004.

1. OT31

OT31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I am considering replacing an aging VHS with a DVD recorder and need some advice - I am fairly new to this and feel very much in the dark so if anyone could point me towards a good FAQ that might answer my questions it would be appreciated.

Anyway, I am interested in the Pioneer 220S or the Sony RGX300S, both seem to do most things I want/need but I do have some concerns and queries.

First, neither have i-link. Is this really essential if I want to record home video from a camcorder? Can I just plug into the RCA jacks or s-video on the front, record and then edit? I have noticed that Pioneer do the 320S (from the Pioneer website) with the i-link but it seems to be double the price.

Second, I will also get a Sony freeview box, I already have a Sony home cinema system and TV with two scart sockets. How would I connect it all up? How do you record from freeview or the home cinema system (it would be handy to make copies of DVDs)?

Last of all, what is the best format to share DVD’s with other players? I want to share home movies with friends and relatives. Does anyone have any experience with compatibility from the Pioneer or Sony?

Also any alternative recorder recommendations up to £250 appreciated.

Thanks!

2. scotty38

scotty38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    £219 vs £299 for the 220/320 here http://www.multiregionmagic.co.uk/

If you can stretch your budget then the 520 can be had for £419 and you get the extra functionality of the HDD which I imagine would be invaluable for your requirements as I assume you'll do a fair bit of editing of your movies.