Newbie - Advice needed on Viera connections

M

MacDee

Panasonic Viera TH42PE30 delivered yesterday with cabinet stand and a DVD Recorder/VHS Combi (DMRE75). When ordering I asked what cables were we likely to need and was told we would need 2 Component leads (3RCA to 3RCA), 1 from DVD to Plasma and the other for DVD VHS side to Plasma.

We have no Sky or any other devices to be connected only the DVD Recorder/VHS unit. Spent half the night trying to figure out the connection from plasma to combi unit.

We have no Scart leads only the 2 component cables.

We used one lead from DVD (component video out) to TV (AV4C - Component Vid)

Can anyone please tell me what are the other lead connection points on the DVD to TV :confused: :lease:

I really would like to get it all up and running tonight.

Thanks

Hi MacDee, I'm going to have the same problem myself next week so I don't know if I can help you a great deal. From what I have read I think you will need to run a coaxial cable along with the comp. cable as this doesn't carry the sound (only video), you can also run scart cables from the rest of your equipment to the back of the panel, if your running your cables behind the wall you can buy a scart box which lets you connect your gear and just the one scart to your panel. Hope this helps buddy, I'm still feeling my way as well, hopefully some of the more experienced/qualified forum members can jump in here and help out or correct me if I've gave you a bum steer. Happy viewing, regards. :)

I presume you ordered this from Currys or somewhere? You need a fully wired scart for the video side, to a bi directional scart on the TV, sorry I forget which is which, probably 2. This will enable you to record freeview. You will also need an audio lead for DVD sound, to audio in on AV4 (component) This will be 2 phono to 2 phono. The 2nd component lead you can swap for the scart, poor advice there.

I think the audio for component goes in via AV4 SCART on the Viera. You can connect the DVD using both the component video cables and a SCART->SCART cable to AV4 which will give you audio, just remember to select component output in the DVD menues.

Thanks for advice guys.

Maw, we bought from AV Sales and the chap there told us we would only need the 2 component cables to connect up. :nono:

Will be getting on to them first thing on Monday to sort this out. On a real downer now as I had hoped to have had it all up and running this weekend,
oh well, these things are sent to try us :suicide:

Regards
MacDee

We all make mistakes, that sounds like the 1st AV sales bloomer I've heard about! I'm waiting for my 1st public b*** up to hit me between the eyes, I'm sure it will.

MAW said:
We all make mistakes, that sounds like the 1st AV sales bloomer I've heard about! I'm waiting for my 1st public b*** up to hit me between the eyes, I'm sure it will.

Maw, I think you might just have done, according to the Panasonic Viera manual (Viera still in box yet) the two phono connects at the back are for audio out, damn! I just run 2 phono - 2 phono in for the comp. audio on the strength of the post above, no matter probably use them for home cinema later on, they advise to use a scart on AV4C for audio

Starky said:
Maw, I think you might just have done, according to the Panasonic Viera manual (Viera still in box yet) the two phono connects at the back are for audio out, damn! I just run 2 phono - 2 phono in for the comp. audio on the strength of the post above, no matter probably use them for home cinema later on, they advise to use a scart on AV4C for audio
The manual is right. The two phonos are for sound signals out NOT in, if you want sound in with your component then you'll have to use the SCART that's allocated to AV4. I'm sure MAW will cite this as another reason not to get the Viera. :p

S.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom