Newbie advice - 2nd hand subwoofers

Hootieuk

Novice Member
Hi all,

I'm now in my 50s and never had a subwoofer in the home before. I've converted 2/3rds of garage into a mancave/games room 5m x 5m approx. I have a 2 channel amp (Sony TAF540E with some Kef Coda 70s bookshelf speakers) - a modest budget set up.
I use it to listen to music, football and the odd movie. The sub is mainly for music and it would be a high level connection.
I have the option of two secondhand subs, both in good condition and both around 15 years old.
The Rel Strata 5 for £175 and the MJ Acoustics Reference 100 mark 1 for around £160.

I believe these are both decent for music, but other than that, I have no idea which would be best suited for my needs.

Can anyone offer any advice for me please - ideally my budget is around £180 max.

Thanks

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
I'd suggest something more recent of age, a pair of BK Gemini II for sale on this forum. The 2 year old one for £150 seems perfect although you could get the pair for £250. Should perform pretty well in a stereo setup.

Hootieuk

Novice Member
Thanks for the suggestion - these aren't available any longer. Does anyone have any knowledge of the two subs I mentioned - are they worth it?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the suggestion - these aren't available any longer. Does anyone have any knowledge of the two subs I mentioned - are they worth it?

I wouldn't buy a 15yo sub.

Its got to fail at some point.

this forum has some great deals. the subs will be relatively new and current with specs available for a more safer purchase.

rccarguy2

I wouldn't buy a 15 year old subwoofer either, at that age amp is likely to fail and/or need servicing, driver technology has moved on.

My old rel of similar era was rubbish compared to modern subs for movies.

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
AVF member @barnitto had one up for sale recently, might want to check with him to see if its still available.

They do often come up for sale so I'd just be a little patient and place a wanted ad in the classifieds.

Hootieuk

Novice Member
OK thanks everyone - I hear what you're saying and it seems fairly unanimous so I'll wait and see what comes up on here. Appreciate you're experienced feedback 👍

barnitto

Mine’s sold, there was another for sale at the same time. Have a trawl through the classifieds.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom