1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie - Adding surround to Stereo Hi-Fi system advice needed!!

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by dowser, Nov 29, 2004.

1. dowser

dowser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just moved house am looking to integrate a surround sound set up into my current hi-fi. Have a few questions, would appreciate your advice;

I currently have following stereo equipment;
    - customised early Yamaha CD player
    - old Nad 3020b used as a pre-amp
    - Mark Levinson ML29 power amp
    - Sonus Faber Concertino speakers.

I'd like to keep this front end for playing music, but add a surround sound processor/amp to drive rear speakers/sub when required, and feed my current power-amp for front speaker use.

So, when listening to stereo the AV processor/amp would simply switch the audio signal from my preamp straight through to the power amp (I don't even know if such a feature is available, and am concerned about affects it may have on sound quality?).

Then for AV it would ignore the feed from the cd-player/pre-amp, but feed the DVD sound source at a line level to the power-amp. AV processor/amp would also have inbuilt amp to drive rears and sub. Again, I really don't know whether such technology exists?

I'm also concerned about any mis-matching between front and rear/sub set-ups this may cause? I assume volume levels can be sorted, but don't know what impact different quality amplification may have on the overall effect? Anyone done anything similar?

Thanks - help appreciated, I'm overwhelmed by all the terminology! Are there any good web resources explaining options for integrating AV into an existing 2-CH hi-fi?

Cheers, Richard

2. dowser

dowser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another friend pointed out the obvious to me - select an AV processor/amp unit with line level pre-amp outputs for the front speakers and feed this into a pre-amp in on my current stereo pre-amp. I'll just then need to keep a set volume level on my stereo pre-amp for AV use.

It was also suggested to me that matching the centre speaker with the 2 fronts was of paramount importance, and that the rears and sub were less of an issue. Any comments?

Lastly, has anyone auditioned the Denon AVR-2805? Considering this as the AV processor/amp.

Thanks, Richard

3. Dmitry Markov

Dmitry Markov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dowser!

I 've heard Denon 2805. It sounds quite well with Quad and Vienna Acoustics HAYDN, but with Sonus Faber Home series - only for rear and side channels.
    I think you could use your Concertinos as rear speakers, than take Solo as centre, Gravis sub and Grand Piano - front pair. Guess it would be a nice cinema system :)
    But if you have a lack of space in your room try Concertos as a front pair: they are a little bit larger than Concertinos but sound better!

If you'll have questions on Sonus Faber i'll always answer!

Good Luck!