1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie - A bit of help please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by adamp, Dec 19, 2002.

1. adamp

adamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya,

I'm looking to complete my Home Cinema set-up with a budget of about £300.

I've currently got a Panasonic TX 32DK1 and Pioneer DV-444, also got Sky Digital.

I've been looking at the Sony HT-DDW740S which I can get for £279. One possible problem is this set-up doesn't have prologic 11 - although I don't know whether that's important.

Has anyone got any experience with this, or recommend any alternatives for around the same price?

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    hi Adamp
    have a look at the yamaha htib-45 you get a cracking receiver five speakers and a sub it is also easy to upgrade from if you look around on the web you should be able to get one for around £320.
    gonzo
    :)

3. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Don't buy an amp without DPL II - you'd regret it.

I waited months for the Sony STR DE585 (same amp as the HT-DDW840S package) to become available. Boy was I glad I waited. It re-creates a very impressive rear surround experience from plain, ordinary Stereo sound.

Buying an amp now without this would be like buying a tape deck years ago without Dolby Noise Reduction - you wouldn't do it!

4. adamp

adamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Guys,

I have to admit I'd started thinking about the 585 as from what I've read it is a better receiver. I've also been looking at the Pioneer VSX-C100S as it also has DPL II and is slimline to match my player - has anyone got any experience with this or its predecessor the C300S (basically the same but without DPL II).