1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie 800 data questions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by vlieg62, Nov 21, 2004.

1. vlieg62

vlieg62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I finaly made the huge step to buy a barco CRT. And huge it is! I payed 75 euro's for the machine, 3800 used hours, looked inside the tubes and looks like new also on the inside of yhe machine I.E. no dust
    My questions are:
    1. In the green tube is a spot in the middle, it looks like a inkt spot. I'm pretty shure it is a burn spot. Is it worth it to pay a couple of hundred Dollars/euro's for a tube? ( I live in Holland BTW)
    2. Is there a way to check how it happened, somekind of error log or something?
    3. I tried my dvd player on the S-video port (nr.2) and get a black and white picture. I did a proper install , alligning the lenses an d the guided install.
    4. What is G2? If i look on forums people are always warning not to fiddle with the G2!

Thanks in advance

Paul

2. flibble

flibble
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I'd hoped someone else would chip in with some better answers, but hopefully these will help. I've got an 800 data too.

1) It might be worth it if it's obvious and annoying you when watching things on the PJ. Though I'd be a tad careful until you found out why it happened to the first tube, a spot in the middle would suggest that the deflection part of the PJ wasn't working (deflection being the bit that stretches the beam of electrons to hit a large part of the phospher).

2) I've not seen anything like this, sorry.

3) Svideo has two lines for luminence (brightness) and chrominance (colour), it sounds as if you are only getting the luminence data. But I know the Data 800 does do colour svideo (I used to have my dvd player hooked up like this before I got a cheap scaler). Best bet is to check your dvd players settings ?

4) G2 is a fairly low level way of saying how bright the tubes should be. You can adjust each colour tube individually, so altering them can be used to fix odd colour issues, eg, everything appears a bit red, so you can use g2 to turn down the power of red compared to the other tubes (or increase blue and green). But you need to be very careful as setting any of these too high will cause the tubes to burn faster. Generally if you don't have a colour balance issue you shouldn't need to change them at all and just use the brightness control on the projector remote.

Hope these help

Peter

3. Lux In Umbra

Lux In Umbra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure you fix the (deflection) problem BEFORE replacing the tube ... or the new one WILL be ruined.

No error log! (Have you checked the LEDs?)

Make sure to set the DVD to s-video/"YC".