newbi needing advice on kit for 436xde

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bellyfluffer, Oct 20, 2005.

1. bellyfluffer

bellyfluffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi just bought a 436xde and was thinking of buying an all in one cinema system to compliment it but after reading these forums im guessing a range of seperates would do it more justice as im a big dvd fan and fuzzy pics and muffled sound would leave me an unhappy little boy! ;)

so if you were let loose with £500 (yeah im cheap!) what would you get? and possibly why?

:lease: take up this challenge as i want to buy before weekend!

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I don't think you could do the TV justice within £500.

Heck, you might just be able to get a DVD player to do the TV justice.

But, if you seriously cannot go any higher, compromises have to be made.

I'm thinking you should probably opt for something like a Marantz DV6500 or Denon 1920, and then perhaps the Yamaha AV57 package.

If the £500 is purely for a DVD player, then might be worth calling up www.avland.co.uk, www.petertyson.co.uk and www.avsales.co.uk to see what price they can do one for. Marantz DV7600, Denon 2910 would be the ones to ask about.

3. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I know it would be nice to "get everything at once" but I think you'll be disappointed with your budget. :thumbsdow

Best to slowly build your system up - you've started out well so the next purchase should be a DVD player to give you excellent images on your TV. :smashin:

Save your 'pennies' and tackle your sound later. Try getting an amp & speaker package deal! ;)

It took me nearly 2yrs to build up my system and compared to my previous attempts at doing everything at once - this is the best! :thumbsup:

4. bellyfluffer

bellyfluffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers kazman
    i was afraid of that, but i got carried away and blew £2500 of my £3000 budget on the screen, will check those out though
    would there be much of a difference between a £500 set up and a £500 all in one?
    as i may have to buy a put on till the savings recover enough for another spending spree!!!

5. bellyfluffer

bellyfluffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers drew2
    i know thats the way to go but i have a slight problem with that.....
    the girlfriend!!! ha ha! who wants cinema feel now!! so need a quick fix solution till i build the right system! cheers for the quick replies fellas really appreciate the help!

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    As a quick fix, I'd spend a LOT more on the DVD player for now.

I'd give the links I posted earlier a call (if you call AV Land, speak to Kingsley and tell him Kaz sent you from the AV Forums), and see what deal you can get for either the Marantz DV7600 or the Denon 2910.

I'd then squeeze another £150 on that Yamaha AV57 speaker and amp package.

Once you have enough funds, you can either upgrade the amp or speakers first (I'd do the speakers first, then the amp when funds allow again).

Would be the best upgrade path I reckon.

7. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  8. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    That's a great price for the Yamaha system Drew2 :)

BUT, I still think the 1920 would be the absolute minimum for the screen, a Marantz DV7600 or a Denon 2910 would just be soooo much better for a screen of the quality of the Pioneer. Dig out a little more moolah :D

9. bellyfluffer

bellyfluffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers fellas
    i really am amazed at how fast and helpfull you guys are! posted a few times on the plasma section and you mostly get ignored or caught in an arguement of who has the best screen! not ideal for a dum dum like me who just needs friendly advice!

what do you think of this set up? individually i priced it for £1100?and the girlfriend thinks "its pretty"! if its crap please tell me so i can repeat it and sound like i know what im talking about! ha ha

10. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Erm.....which setup? :)

And you're welcome :)

11. bellyfluffer

bellyfluffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. cheechy

cheechy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Have you thought about picking up kit second hand - its an option for getting good AV kit within your budget?

An HDMI capable DVD may however be hard to pick up second hand just now - just as long as you dont go for the samsung!

I have to agree that to do justice to your screen you'll have to go down the Denon, Marantz or Pioneer 668/868/989 (high end) route.....

13. cheechy

cheechy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The kit looks ok but you'd do better with that kind of money either new or better on the 2nd hand market - you just have to be sure what you're looking for.

You can get great sounding Surround kit which is also missus friendly :)

14. bellyfluffer

bellyfluffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm..... behind the 'pretty face' the h&k doesnt look all that does it!? it looks like the denon with yamaha is the best bet

how does the pio 668 compare with the denon 2910?

15. cheechy

cheechy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    2910 is probably the best bet these days - although you may be able to pick up the 668 now for a bargain price as they are now discontinued.

I managed to pick the its big brother, the 868, for £500 a couple of weeks ago for the same reason - and its stunning.

16. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I'd avoid that HK system matey.

I'd seriously think about the Marantz DV7600 or the Denon 2910, what is very important is to demo them both. The Marantz may be a better fit for the Pioneer screen though, as it gives a deeper black level than the Denon, and plasmas need all the help they can get in that dept :).

17. bellyfluffer

bellyfluffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow i hadnt even considered that 'black' output may differ! could be a factor as i know this is most peoples main gripe with the pio plasma!
    cheers mate

18. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Not a problem, tiz why we are here :) to help :)

19. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I found a 2910 for under 500 quid, if you have no luck I can get the link for you. :D

20. bellyfluffer

bellyfluffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers drew
    the link would be good (as long as its not from krish av! major rogues! ha ha)

21. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  22. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I have just sold my Denon "all in one" and gone back to seperates (albeit on a budget this time around).

I have purchased the following items.......

http://ws3.kelkoo.homecinematv.co.u...ct&pid=TEA-DV7D

http://ws3.kelkoo.homecinematv.co.u...ct&pid=TEA-AG7D

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/...Product_ID/2298

The PQ via component on my Samsung LCD is superb, and the sound quality knocks spots off the Denon system.
    OK, it's not the most expensive system in the world, but for just on £500.00 delivered, I personally think it is unbeatable value for money.
    And at £53.00 for a DVD player, when I do eventually purchase a more expensive HD one next year, (or the year after), I certainly won't mind my two 9 year old twins trashing it in their bedroom.
    (The speaker system is superb by the way)
    Rob

23. bellyfluffer

bellyfluffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tried looking at your suggestion mate but the first 2 links dont work and the 3rd goes to a home page? i am interested though!

24. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo-1.cfm/Product_ID/2298/source/kelkoo#specs

http://ws3.homecinematv.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=TEA-DV7D&SID=92567fe0184274dfcfbb1df36159a558

http://ws3.homecinematv.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=TEA-AG7D&SID=96e68bdfbcaf39d2c920d753c9a206f4

Try these.
    Don't know why the original links didn't work.
    Just noticed that the speaker system is now showing "discontinued" but worth giving them a call. They were very helpful on the phone to me, and might still have some available. They really are awesome speakers for the money.
    Rob

25. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Just looked at the spec for your telly, wow what a pile of features. You shouldn't need to worry about black levels as you have a heap of options already to help this.

But please do yourself and your telly justice and get a HDMI/DVI enabled player, why compromise just now. One that upscales will also give you a 'taste' of what your set can do.

26. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    :nono: The Pioneer may have a lot of tweaks for the picture, but it is a known issue that the black level on it isn't too hot, probably its only weakness.

A quick search of the Plasma forum should confirm this.

If it wasn't for the black level issue then it would really be a toss up between the Denon 2910, Marantz DV7600 and the new Yamaha 2500, as these three are the leaders in the price group, and on a level playing field there is probably a gnats hair seperating them for outright ability, but, that black level issue for the Pio is one that any owner needs to consider.

The DV7600 purposely outputs a slightly darker image to help in full on Cinema systems in darkened rooms, and this is why I strongly believe the DV7600 would suit the Pio a lot better than the 2910 and the 2500.

BUT, saying that, the Peter Tyson price for the 2910 is certainly one NOT to be sniffed at :D We are talking about the best of the best when it comes to these three, so whichever is chosen by any owner is a good choice.......but one needs to take their display into account too. :lesson:

27. bellyfluffer

bellyfluffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :mad:
    gutted!!

kazman, thanks for your help but i just saw that i missed out on your pioneer dvd for a silly price!!!!! :eek:

nooooooooooo

ha ha!

denon is being beat by the marrantz at the mo on most beneficial but the denon is fighting hard with the price!!!