newbee: what's the difference between a/v amplifier and receiver.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pm79, Sep 12, 2007.

1. pm79

pm79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    This question may sound bit stupid but I have searched a lot on this and could not get a proper answer. so Sorry for that.:oops:

I have got Panasonic 42PV500 connected to sky+ with scart lead and to Denon dht550sd dvd player by component cable. My denon dht550sd a/v amplifier has got some problems and needs to be written off. They are offering me £250. I am confused between Denon DHT1356XP (a/v amplifier) and onkyo 605 (a/v reciever). But can somebody explain me in simple terms what's the exact difference between a reciever and an amplifier.

I haven't got the hd player at present but I'll be taking sky HD and and HD/Upscaling DVD player in future.

:smashin:Can somebody please tell me also what would be best connections with a/v receiver to above. thanks:)

2. swanny78

swanny78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    basically a receiver has a tuner in so you can receive radio stations thru it

3. pm79

pm79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Is that all???? But some of the amplifiers also has got radio tuners... Moreover onkyo 605 has got hdmi sound I believe...

4. xs2man

xs2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Yeah, for the money, the Onkyo would be the more feature packed (well, better, more useable features) out of the two.

Incidentally, who is offering the £250? Is that what you paid for the problem amp? If its meant to be warrenty or guarantee, you should get full replacement value...

5. pm79

pm79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    actually i paid £520 for Denon dht550sd(consists of amplifier avr dht550sd and dvd player dht550sd with speakers) 1 yr ago. It was the amplifier which developed a little fault (one of the optical output stopped working). It went for a repair under extended warranty but they could not solve it and advised the insurance company(domestic and general) to get it written off. now the insurance company has offered me £249 depending on the current value of Denon dht1356xp being sold at empiredirect.co.uk. Now dht1356xp is just the amplifier with the speakers. I have clarified with the company and they say that i can keep the dvd player and speakers.

So here I am --left with a denon dvd player and speakers. So I am looking for a good amplifier/receiver which is compatible with my system.