newbee: what's the difference between a/v amplifier and receiver.

pm79

Novice Member
This question may sound bit stupid but I have searched a lot on this and could not get a proper answer. so Sorry for that.:oops:

I have got Panasonic 42PV500 connected to sky+ with scart lead and to Denon dht550sd dvd player by component cable. My denon dht550sd a/v amplifier has got some problems and needs to be written off. They are offering me £250. I am confused between Denon DHT1356XP (a/v amplifier) and onkyo 605 (a/v reciever). But can somebody explain me in simple terms what's the exact difference between a reciever and an amplifier.

I haven't got the hd player at present but I'll be taking sky HD and and HD/Upscaling DVD player in future.

:smashin:Can somebody please tell me also what would be best connections with a/v receiver to above. thanks:)

swanny78

basically a receiver has a tuner in so you can receive radio stations thru it

pm79

Novice Member
Is that all???? But some of the amplifiers also has got radio tuners... Moreover onkyo 605 has got hdmi sound I believe...

xs2man

Yeah, for the money, the Onkyo would be the more feature packed (well, better, more useable features) out of the two.

Incidentally, who is offering the £250? Is that what you paid for the problem amp? If its meant to be warrenty or guarantee, you should get full replacement value...

pm79

Novice Member
actually i paid £520 for Denon dht550sd(consists of amplifier avr dht550sd and dvd player dht550sd with speakers) 1 yr ago. It was the amplifier which developed a little fault (one of the optical output stopped working). It went for a repair under extended warranty but they could not solve it and advised the insurance company(domestic and general) to get it written off. now the insurance company has offered me £249 depending on the current value of Denon dht1356xp being sold at empiredirect.co.uk. Now dht1356xp is just the amplifier with the speakers. I have clarified with the company and they say that i can keep the dvd player and speakers.

So here I am --left with a denon dvd player and speakers. So I am looking for a good amplifier/receiver which is compatible with my system.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom