1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbee- to gain or not to gain

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Braveheart, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Braveheart

Braveheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi to everyone from a newbee. :hiya:

I have picked up a lot of info on PJ screens, thanks to everyone's input in this forum. :thumbsup:

I recently bought a screenplay 4805 and immediately picked up my dad's old Da-lite glass beaded tripod screen (gain unknown) that he uses to show slides on. The screen is older than
    me (so at least 30+ ) and like a kid at Xmas, couldn't wait to get an image from my new toy.

With my dad's screen and the pj on a coffee table I managed to get a 42" diag 16:9 image. I popped Monsters Inc into the dvd player & WOW I was stunned. :D
    It didn't stop there, I auditioned a lot of my favourite scenes from a few films. Again, WOW, I was impressed.

But you know what is coming next, don't you! I didn't by a projector to watch plasma size pictures, right!. I want bigger! :rolleyes:

So, I knew I'd have to put in a bit of research into screens. :lesson: O.k,. so now I think I'm up to speed. But its been harder choosing a screen, than any other piece of kit I have bought.

Now I'm projecting onto the reverse side of ceiling tiles all taped together, (couldn't wait any longer to see a big image) back-lined with black to make a 68" dia viewable screen & gaffa tape to finish off as a mask.
    Do you know what. I'm glad I did.
    I discovered that I couldn't quite fit the image width on a 68" (dia) screen.
    I was convinced earlier, with my pj calculator, large sheet of paper and tape measure that 68" was the best.size screen (due to throw range/ roomsize constraints etc). Well it's better than finding out after you've bought the screen.
    Sure I know that I could hit the overscan button, to make it fit, but it does cut out a bit of the picture, and I like to get the max. of the image.
    So now I think a 71" dia screen is what I need, just about squezze it in, giving me a little room for play, with the zoom lens.

It's very tempting to go for an electric screen, just because I have Pronto Pro or can use the trigger on the 4805, but the price difference between a manual & leckey just doesn't seem to justify it.

This is where you guys could help me out.
    I'm scared to even ask how much a Stewart manual costs. (emailed for a quote from an AV dealer and haven't heard yet) :suicide:
    Da-lite, I can't seem to get the size I'm looking for ( tried Amazon.com as suggested in other threads.)
    Quality issues bother me with some of the other suppliers, ripples ect, especially considering the cost.
    Which leaves me with DRH. The 1.1 gain doesn't seem enough and the gain ratio 1:3.2 Screen. I am a little wary of. Would it be overkill, and would picture quality suffer? Or would it throw too much ambient light? (although a narrow reflection for me is not a problem)
    The other thing that bothers me is that my projector is neither ceiling mounted or on a coffee table, its kinda in-between. So even using a something like a Firehawk would be a waste of it's potential because of its angle of reflection i.e. for ceiling mounted pjs. Which begs the question. What screen do you think would be suitable for my setup? :confused:

My set-up is with the projector (Max. 750 lumens, but use at the lower output ?) just above my head, about 45" from the floor firing into a bay window. Which receives direct sunlight, so I have lined the curtains with blackout material. This has made a drastic improvement. But I still have a bit of ambient light & light coloured decor.
    Advice would be greatly welcomed as I am new to this.

2. galewis1

galewis1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Braveheart

Just bought the same projector as you and have the same dilema. I am also going to project into a bay window and have considered the DRH Slimline. Although all of the windows in the bay have thick roman blinds in them, some light inevitably creeps through the sides. My biggest concern is whether I'll see this light through the screen, or do I need a screen with black-backed cloth? (what colour is the back of normal screen then?)

Anyway, I'm sure Braveheart would benefit from the answer to this as well.

Thanks

Gary

3. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I'm sure MrScreen will correct if wrong, but I remember him telling me that the DRH slimline is about 95% blackout. My screen has a window behind it and I see almost no light bleed through, so it is probably about right.

I've never tried a high gain screenat home, but would be surprised if you need one. We only use them at work for day time presentations.

Cheers

4. malsat

malsat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i use a white blackout window blind for a screen from homebase for £40,its in front of my window and works great,ok so its up and down by a cord so what,its 2.5mts.

5. Braveheart

Braveheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    INFO:
    I bought my blackout white material 168X183 from dunelm mill (www.dunelm-mill.co.uk) for £20. Various sizes available.

Also does anyone know where I can get da-lite screens for the size I require.
    Between 69" - 71" dia 16:9? and what gain, would be suitable (see 1st thread) for my set-up?

I have also had a reply back Ref: Stewart screens & they dont do manual anymore.

6. Claude

Claude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi people,

Thought I'd chip in. I bought a TX100 from specs only and am very pleased. Decided to splash out on a DRH high power 78" screen which I shall be receiving on tuesday. Aparently colours are more vivid and contrast is improved as brightness levels can be reduced due to high reflectivity. Anyway maybe I'll be delighted maybe not but I shall let you guys know what I think on wednesday. Cool... :cool:

7. Braveheart

Braveheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    UPDATE:-
    Seeing as no-one seems to be able to point me to a UK Da-lite dealer, I have decided, with the help of reviews on this forum, to go for a DRH screen. I emailed them with my concerns. They suggested sending me samples. Brilliant!