newbee needing help

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jodie114, Feb 5, 2005.

1. jodie114

jodie114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hiya
    After much reading and begging to the other half i have recently purchased the philips 9986 lcd tv that has been reviewed very well here.
    i want to add to this with a hdd dvd recorder, but here are my questions:

*with the new tv being hd ready with a dvi connector, and having progressive scan, can you get a dvd recorder that can be connected via dvi for quality (i am told this is far superior to compsite or scart)

* Also, are there any out there that also record in both + and - formats on dvd rw's?

Sorry, but after buying this tv need to expand, but i don't have the money to make a mistake!
    cheers

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Have a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature for basic DVD recorder buying advice. But to answer a few of your points:

Yes - Sony models, LiteOn models, new LG models and (soon) new Panasonic models. However I strongly urge you NOT to limit your options in this way. There is little benefit to you as a consumer by having dual format - none of the DVDR formats are going to die in the short-term, all produce compatible recordings that play on other DVD players and, with all the above models, you need to use DVD- media to get the most features out of the machines.

The Pioneer DVDR920 is currently the only DVD recorder with digital video output: that has a HDMI socket which will work with your DVI provided it is HDCP compliant. The Pioneer 920 is an excellent recorder but may not be you first choice at £1300. As to whether DVI/HDMI give a better picture than a top quality analogue source :rolleyes: - the jury is out at present.