newbee needing help

J

jodie114

hiya
After much reading and begging to the other half i have recently purchased the philips 9986 lcd tv that has been reviewed very well here.
i want to add to this with a hdd dvd recorder, but here are my questions:

*with the new tv being hd ready with a dvi connector, and having progressive scan, can you get a dvd recorder that can be connected via dvi for quality (i am told this is far superior to compsite or scart)

* Also, are there any out there that also record in both + and - formats on dvd rw's?

Sorry, but after buying this tv need to expand, but i don't have the money to make a mistake!
cheers

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Have a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature for basic DVD recorder buying advice. But to answer a few of your points:

Also, are there any out there that also record in both + and - formats on dvd rw's?
Yes - Sony models, LiteOn models, new LG models and (soon) new Panasonic models. However I strongly urge you NOT to limit your options in this way. There is little benefit to you as a consumer by having dual format - none of the DVDR formats are going to die in the short-term, all produce compatible recordings that play on other DVD players and, with all the above models, you need to use DVD- media to get the most features out of the machines.

with the new tv being hd ready with a dvi connector, and having progressive scan, can you get a dvd recorder that can be connected via dvi for quality (i am told this is far superior to compsite or scart
The Pioneer DVDR920 is currently the only DVD recorder with digital video output: that has a HDMI socket which will work with your DVI provided it is HDCP compliant. The Pioneer 920 is an excellent recorder but may not be you first choice at £1300. As to whether DVI/HDMI give a better picture than a top quality analogue source :rolleyes: - the jury is out at present.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom