1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbe question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TheTad, Aug 23, 2003.

1. TheTad

TheTad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DMR-E50 tv recorder and have now purchased a Panny DVD Burner II.
    I would like to edit tv recordings on the burner (delete adverts etc).
    My question is, is there at tutorial available for this, which also recommends software etc?
    TIA for any help given.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    There are a number of options open to you.

You could download a programme like TMPG Enc Author (http://www.pegasys-inc.com). This allows you to import video from DVD-RAM or DVD-R. You can then edit, specify chapter points, create basic menus (including animated ones) and then output in DVD-Video format which you can then burn onto DVD-R or DVD-RW. This is a very simple way of doing things and produces some top results. You don't really need a tutorial for this - it's that easy. Download it and see!

Alternatively you get more options by using a programme like TMPG Encoder to demux the files into .m2v and .ac3 files. You can then import these as required into your chosen authoring programme. This way can produce better results but will take longer - something to do if you want this to become a 'hobby'! If your interested in that I can post more details but don't want to spend 30 minutes typing it if your not interested!

3. TheTad

TheTad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thnx for the info Rasczak, will try what you suggested.

I would appreciate more details that you have kindly offered,and as I am retired, I do intend making this a hobby.

Once again, many thanks

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Ok - the complex but powerful way of PC editting! On the DVD-RAM disk either rename the VR_MOVIE.vro file to VR_MOVIE.mpg or copy it your your HDD and then rename it. In TMPG Encoder goto File/MPEG Tools and run a simple demux on the file. It will be split into VR_MOVIE.m2v and VR_MOVIE.ac3 files.

Now at this stage you may or may not have audio displacement depending on how extensively you've used the editting facilities on the E50. Continue as if you haven't but if you find you have use VirtualDub and this guide:
    http://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/audio-synch.htm
    That will put you back on track. Once you have passed this stage your into the powerful position of being able to run virtually any process on your recording having escaped from the Video structure.

For instance, at this stage, also want to run a logo removal programme - especially if archiving from off TV. This sometimes works well - and sometimes doesn't. I always try it, carefully assess the results and decide which one to run with. Sometimes it leaves a blur so I stick with the logo, sometimes it removes the logo entirely and sometimes I manage to remove the logo from parts of the programme and not others. It's a question of judging it in each case. For logo removal advice goto:
    http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/capture/logo.html

You may want to merge clips togther - you can do this in TMPG Encoder - File/MPEG Tools/"Merge and Cut". Or you may want to add effects/sound clips etc which you can do in a variety of packages.

Now the choice of DVD Authoring programme open to you is now very wide. A basic (free) programme is Spruceup - a guide to the use of which can be found here: http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/spruceup.htm
    This enables you to compile static menus but you can position stuff wherever you like (within the parameters of course). There are hundreds of other options open though: browse through the forums at http://forum.digital-digest.com/ to get advice and help. Some are more powerful than others (and some are free whilst others are not). Steer clear of Ulead Moviefactory 2 though as this can't support .ac3 sound files - you would need to downconvert.

Clearly you'll need some sort of graphics package for menu design. Personally I use Paint Shop Pro 8 although there are many available.

As some background info have a look at the DVD-Video structure:
    http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/dvdvideo/dvdvid_struct.htm#DVD-Video Disc Structure
    This is only of background interest - you don't need to know this!

Hopefully this info is sufficient to get you going. If you need support (because you WILL get stuck at some point!) you'll find tons of it at http://forum.digital-digest.com

5. TheTad

TheTad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very comprehensive, Rasczak - much appreciated

6. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Double thanks Rasczak. After your advice on the PC Recorder this was going to be my next query on to do this and you've answered completly all i need to know. :)

Cheers again.

General Panic

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    No problem. I honestly can't recommend getting a PC burner enough - if you want to archive stuff it makes such a difference have custom, animated menus and so forth. I have even gone to the trouble of putting 'extras' on some of the disks. The results can be quite stunning.

IMHO a set-top DVD recorder makes the whole process of capturing the video digitally a lot less painful and a PC burner just adds the extra bells and whistles to make it a top disk. Plus of course there are the PC benefits of being able to make backups etc (I backup core files on my computer daily to a RAM disk).

8. waterboy

waterboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak

Thanks for all the info. I'm sure many people like me who are new to video editing etc. are grateful to you for all your informative posts.

You mention above, when talking about TMPG Encoder, that there can be audio displacement problems when transferring material from DVD-RAM (when some editing has been carried out within the recorder).

Do the same issues appear when going down the simple route, using TMPG Enc Author? Also, and I'm sorry if this is heading towards a TMPG Enc Author support request, but I'm not 100% sure what Pegasys mean by "However, it is not possible to re-encode AC-3 audio.". The E50 records in AC3 I presume (according to a site I've just seen, AC3 = Dolby Digital) so if you aren't able to re-encode to AC3 after editing the video aren't you going to lose quality? Sorry if I'm just being dumb.....

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    The audio displacement should not occur when using TMPG Enc Author as this conforms to the VRO specification. It occurs when you run a demux because it is apply MPEG rules to the VRO container. Whilst 99.5% of the container is indeed this there are also some buffer files added when you edit. The demux process simply sees the .m2v and .ac3 streams and not the buffer files hence the causation of audio displacement in some (but not all) instances.

TNPG Enc Author is not doing any 're-encoding' so you don;t need to worry about loss of quality. This refers to if you want to change the file format of the sound in which case you would need a third party application. For recordings from the E20-50/HS2 this would not ever be a serious issue. It really refers to if you want to re-encode audio to become true 5:1 etc. Such third party applications are very, very expensive (obviously).

10. waterboy

waterboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for clearing those points up for me, Rasczak.