Newbe needs advice please.

abnett26247

Ex Member
Reaction score
as a newcomer to this home cinima , can any one please advise me a good brand of interconnects to hook up everything, ie phonos/ scarts/ speaker cable ect ect for the tv/ receiver/ dvd player./sky box/ record deck/speakers / sub/ it goes on and on .i dont want fancy expensive stuff just honest good wires at a sensible price ie what and where please thank you, abnett 26247. :confused:

Just keep them short (so impedance matching barely matters), and use digital interconnect whenever you can. CPC is a good source. Speaker cable needs to be a bit thick (large currents). Make sure you aren't using composite video anywhere (use Component, RGB or S-video wherever you can). I like the flat Scart cables (don't worry, each wire is a screened coax); they are much easier to route than the stiff snake style. it's worth getting a Sky box with digital sound out (far better than DAB); i.e. Sony from ebay or Sky+.

Forget cable brands. It's just long thin bits of copper. Brands are a mechanism for the retailer to make as much margin on the cables as he does on the brown boxes by selling 50p cables for £20. It works like this: you sell the "£20" branded cable to small retailers for £12.50 and to Dixons for 75p. They both sell it on at around £20. If Dixons finds a small retailer undercutting them, they will switch brands.

If you are, unlike me, a believer, "spend about 10% of your total system cost on interconnects of a reputable brand".

ancientgeek - I have deleted the sarcastic comment at the end of your post which will only serve to confuse some people.

Thank you for taking the time to answer the question but please remember that cables and interconnects are not an exact science and other people have different but equally valid opinions to yourself.

Have a look at forum sponsor TV Cables website here as they have a good range of budget cables. Check out the Profigold range of scarts and interconnects

I agree with getting decent interconnects (but there's got to be a law of diminishing returns + you're always limited by your system's weakest link) but what about speaker cables for AV applications?

What sort of conductor area / strand count / configuration is considered a)iminimum requirements, b)optimum, c) the dogs

Get 'good and well made interconnects'. Don't spend the earth. A lot of 'expensive' cables have some of the worst soldering I've ever seen. Certainly not what you'd expect.
Blue jeans cable or mark grant (on this forum) make some decent cables.
As for speaker cable give Cat 5/6 a go, comes under category C. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom