• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Newb

Matt.H

Standard Member
I am new to this site but was pointed in your direction by a mate.

Well i am after a 20" lcd tv for my bedroom. I have done a search and have found that a 16:9 is the way to go. I have a budget of around 350, 400 at a push.

I have seen one that doesnt look to bad (IMO), the Toshiba 20WL56. There doesnt seem to be many 20" lcd's about in 16:9 format.

What should i be lookin for before i buy one? i dont know much of what the jargon means so a little help would be much appreciated. Keepin seeing ppl on about HD?

Cheers Matt

mhd1966

Established Member
Hi Matt,

`HD` is refering to new connections on `HD Ready` tv`s. Basically its an input socket like the current scart sockets you get on modern tv`s.I`m sure you know what that is, but heres where it gets interesting. Products like the PS3 and XBOX 360 will feature HD outputs to connect to a HD telly and the picture you will get from this could be approx 3.5 times more resolution (clearer) than the quality we currently enjoy. The BBC plan to switch this on too but there are rumours that they will not do this until 2008. BSkyB will do it sooner. Video gamers will probably be the first to benefit from this and will no doubt be the driving force for its future. Unfortunatly the Tosh 20WL56 is not HD ready. Your choice will really depend on how much you want your telly to be `future-proofed`. As with every new tv purchase, `get as much gadgets as you can with the money you have got`. You will be glad you did. Hope this helps you.

mhd

Matt.H

Standard Member
I have had a walk round 2day to see whats about and i think the 20" might be a little small...I have seen the Samsung LE23R41BX. This a HD ready tv (I think) and looks smart.

Does anyone have one or one similar and what do they think of it?

beasty54

Distinguished Member
Ive just ordered the Samsung LE26R41B and from what ive read on here its the best LCD it its price range. I think the only difference between the 2 is that the 23" model doesn't have the HDMI

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom