Newb question. Please help. Yes I searched first.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Black Octagon, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Black Octagon

Black Octagon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry guys but I still can't get a definitive answer to this simple question:

Is there a consensus as to whether HDMI or component connections yield the best PQ?

I've just bought a HD-ready LCD TV and a DVD Player, both of which have HDMI and component connections. But no-where can I find a definite answer as to which connection gives me the better picture quality. Toshiba's website says component but some posts say HDMI. Is it a matter of subjective opinion. To aspects of your equipment effect it? What's the score?

Please help as I'm not too keen on spending more than I have to on cabling. This TV has annhilated my bank account.

Thanks

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,577
    Hello Black Octagon

Possibly better to ask is Digital RGB or YCbCr over HDMI better than Analogue RGB or YPbPr over a 3 x 75 Ohm coaxial.

There is no definitive answer - its going to vary from hardware to hardware and viewer to viewer. Lots of folk like the extra sharpness you get with an all Digital connection - others hate it!

If you only require a short (sub 2m) HDMI cable you don't need to spend more than 20.00 GBP to get something decent for 720p/1080i.

Joe

3. Black Octagon

Black Octagon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, ok thanks. I definitely love the sharpness of digital over analogue, but as your post demonstrates, HDMI is by no means the only form of digital connection. Hmm....