1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newb question: Downloads to Sony players

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by jonandjen, Oct 19, 2005.

1. jonandjen

jonandjen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hello,

I'm just about to buy a new Sony Bean player for my daughters birthday, and am slightly confused as to compatibility etc. I've worked out that the files downloaded / transferred to the Sony's have to be converted to their own Atrac formats in order to play, and that they are not compatible with protected WMA (I think??)

Can you only therefore download new tracks etc, from Sony's own Connect download service, or are there alternative sites which are compatible ???

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I don't have a clue to be honest.

Thanks,

jonandjen

2. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    MP3s should play back on the player, WMAs will be converted to ATRAC.

Protected WMAs however, will not be converted and it is not possible to put them on the player.

Therefore the only totally legal download service you can use is CONNECT.

You could, however, use the mega cheap but possibly illegal (nobody seems to know) http://allofmp3.com or http://mp3search.com or http://mp3search.ru.

Hope this helps.

Get the Bean though, it is cool! But get the 1GB model.

3. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    To my knowledge all online music retailers (Napster, Tesco, Woolworths) use protected WMAs, so this is not true I'm afraid.

4. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cant you just burn the Protected WMA, MP3 as audio files and then use Sonicstage to Rip them into atrac?

You could always just buy the CD, that way you get gapless and better sound quality, and you also have a backup incase your computer frys, and you can play it on your home or car stereo.

cool...bean, does it make you laugh?

5. vtah236

vtah236
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never use the Connect store to download tracks to my Sony. 99p per track is robbery when iTunes sells the same stuff at 79p. Free downloadable software such as that offered by JHymn (for iTunes) and dbpoweramp (for everything else) will convert almost any format into mp3 if you download the right codecs too.
    I don't think anyone's cracked the protected WMAs yet. Ways around that are discussed in other threads, but they are a bit long-winded, in my opinion.

6. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    yep that works. That how I used to get music onto my creative v200, until I updated the firmware to support protected WMA's