newb first time buy

matt_hirst

Standard Member
Reaction score
Got a nice Samsung series 6 tv, dvd player, soon to get a blu-ray player and possible freesat. Now am looking at upgrading the sound on the TV for film watching and gaming, problem being I don't have room for a 5.1 system, so what would you guys reccomend as a good set-up?

Budget £200 to £300 amp £200 for the speakers max, preferably cheaper.

Speaker wise they either have to sit on the floor and out of the way or fit nicely into a standard tv stand.

So far have looked at a BOSE system which seemed sounded a good surround set-up for a small system, but I have heard bad reports about BOSE. Also looked at a all-in-one samsung system for £230 but it sounded awful. I do like the look of the Tannoy SFX, well size wise they look superb but I'd end up with 2 speakers wasted.

Just had a look at the Onkyo 507 + possibly a q accoustics 1010, but think they will be a little too big to go on the tv stand.

regards,

Matt

Speaker wise they either have to sit on the floor and out of the way or fit nicely into a standard tv stand.
Where would you be able to put the speakers that would go on the floor and could you fit floorstanding speakers in?

Not really got much room either side of tv stand, hence looking for something to go on/in tv stand.

With regarda av receiver am wanting one that doesn't need to be on all the time as I don't think when daughter watches iggle piggle she needs it on.

regards,

Matt

What about the Jamo 102 speaker package? They're nicer looking (and more discreet) than the Tannoys, for not much more. I'm no expert, but I'm sure you could pick up something like a Yamaha receiver within your budget to go with them?..:)

The Jamo do look good, are they available without the rear two speakers or only as a set of 5?

regards,

Matt

The Jamo do look good, are they available without the rear two speakers or only as a set of 5?

regards,

Matt

You can buy the satellites separetely, but you would have problems getting a centre.

Jamo A102 Additional Pair Speakers - 5.1 Surround Sound Kit - Audiovisual Online - High Quality Audio Video Cables and Accessories

Probably the best way to do it is to buy the 5.1 set and try to sell the spare 2 spekaers on the forum classifieds to someone who wants to have a 7.1 setup.

Or keep them as spares or to sell as a complete set if you ever upgrade or can find room for 7.1.

Bear in mind that these speakers are better paired with Yamaha or Denon recievers, than Onkyo or Sony.

You could consider this --- it's a 2.1 system that you can add the centre and surrounds for £100, which of course, you wouldn't need.

ONKYO HTX22HD 2.1 HIGH DEFINITION DECODER/AMPLIFIER/SPEAKER SYSTEM - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/4162 for details

I would search the forums for feedback if you are interested as I did come across some reference to something, but can't recall waht it was.

Thanks for the replies.

One question the Onkyo does it have a built in amp or am I missing something?

What about a Onkyo 507 + Q accoustics 1010s - is this a good combination? Just wondering if they would fit below the TV in the stand? Going down this route I could buy a centre speaker seperately and also upgrade to another pair of 1010s if I manage to get the room.

Another question with regards speaker placement is it ok to have the front speaker sbelow TV or is this a no no?

regards,

matt

Mmmmm. I have the Jamo a102 set up as it was my first. Very impressed with the overall sound but the center is a bit weak. Was considering replacing the matching Jamo Dvd player/amp with a Pioneer VSX 919 or 1019. Would I notice any sound difference in these as opposed to the DVD (DM60) or would I be forced to replace the speakers at some point. Or should I opt for a Denon as you say it matches better (but bearing in mind i may not have the Jamos forever. Thanks all.

Thanks for the replies.

One question the Onkyo does it have a built in amp or am I missing something?

What about a Onkyo 507 + Q accoustics 1010s - is this a good combination? Just wondering if they would fit below the TV in the stand? Going down this route I could buy a centre speaker seperately and also upgrade to another pair of 1010s if I manage to get the room.

Another question with regards speaker placement is it ok to have the front speaker sbelow TV or is this a no no?

regards,

matt

The onkyo 22HD has the amp as part of the suwoofer.

The onkyo 507 and the QA1010is would be a good combo. I don't get why you would want to buy a separate centre? --- One comes with the 5.1 1010i set.

Speakers below the TV aren't going to sound as good. Nothing is a no-no, it's just a matter of wheather the sound is acceptable to you.

Mmmmm. I have the Jamo a102 set up as it was my first. Very impressed with the overall sound but the center is a bit weak. Was considering replacing the matching Jamo Dvd player/amp with a Pioneer VSX 919 or 1019. Would I notice any sound difference in these as opposed to the DVD (DM60) or would I be forced to replace the speakers at some point. Or should I opt for a Denon as you say it matches better (but bearing in mind i may not have the Jamos forever. Thanks all.

The Jamo a102 set suit warm sounding amps because the speakers are bright. This was highlighted by the what hifi review of them that said to pair them with Denon or yamaha amps. I just tried to pull up the review and the page seems to be down.

I don't think going for a warm amp is a bad idea anyway. It will work with your current speakers, and I personally think that when you do upgrade your speakers, there will be more speaker choices to go with a warm amp.

The onkyo 22HD has the amp as part of the suwoofer.

The onkyo 507 and the QA1010is would be a good combo. I don't get why you would want to buy a separate centre? --- One comes with the 5.1 1010i set.

Speakers below the TV aren't going to sound as good. Nothing is a no-no, it's just a matter of wheather the sound is acceptable to you.

Was thinking of buying a pair of 1010is and then a centre as money allows rather than buy the set and flog 2 speakers.

regards,

Matt

Was thinking of buying a pair of 1010is and then a centre as money allows rather than buy the set and flog 2 speakers.

regards,

Matt

OK, understand. Make sure that you buy the centre at the same time as the 1010is. Because they are discontinued, once they are gone, you may have difficulty finding a centre and then you run into tonal matching issues across the front soundstage.

You do need a sub with the 1010is as they have a limited low frequency response.

Still not bought anything yet - other things keep getting in the way, but the wife says I can get a set-up for my birthday so...

Are the Jamo speakers worth £50 more than the Tannoy SFX ones?

Which is the best amp to pair with either of these two around the £250 mark?

Am trying to keep entire budget below £500.

regards,

Matt

Still not bought anything yet - other things keep getting in the way, but the wife says I can get a set-up for my birthday so...

regards,

Matt

The 'norm' pairings are either the Sony H800 N1000 or Onkyo 507, 607 with the tannoy SFX 5.1 and the Yamaha 465, 565 and Denon 1610 with the Jamo set.

Which is better? Only your ears can tell, I'm afraid.

regards,

Matt

I would buy the spare Jamo's off you if you did buy them!

Wife has definitely said to have a 3.1 setup rather than a 5.1 setup, so does this affect the amp or ??

Also if bought seperately which speakers to go for, e.g. which left& right, which centre, which sub?

regards,

Matt

Also if bought seperately which speakers to go for, e.g. which left& right, which centre, which sub?
You need to give a budget and say wheather you are prepared to buy the speakers gradually over time. Also, which amp you would buy.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom