1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Z3 owner opinions and Qs

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by PjPip, Aug 23, 2005.

1. PjPip

PjPip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just replaced my Epson TW10H (anyone know what a 12month old one of these might be worth?) with a Z3. The master plan was always keep the Epson for a year and if we used it enough get something a bit better. I know the Z3 is still at the bottom end of the market but at this stage I was still primarily looking for more pixels, the other features such as HDMI are a (admittedly BIG) bonus.

Picture is fantastic! OK, it has more pixels so you'd expect a step change in performance anyway, especially as we only sit about 3m away from the screen. Setup was pretty simple although I thought I had a dud at first as it wouldn't turn on; turns out that I hadn't fully opened the cover!

Things I miss? The lamp brightness is significantly (800 Vs 1200) lower than the Epson and I honestly can't see myself using this one for TV during the day which I occasionally did with the Epson (F1 etc) - we'll see, I haven't set it up with DVE yet. I also miss the info telling me what the current signal is eg 480p, the Epson has a nice info screen, the Sanyo needed me to select other signals to find which ones didn't work! Small point I know but for a gadget-man....

Overall if you've got a basic PJ and thinking of upgrading I'd say don't wait another moment and so far the Z3 is ticking all my boxes :thumbsup:

Now for the Qs. Is it normal for new units to come with RGB adjustments in the settings? Mine is at R+5, G0 and B-2. I expect I'll change them anyway once I get around to running through DVE but any help appreciated. Also, can't find a lamp hours timer, only the option to reset it??

Regards
    Pip

2. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Glad i read this post. I am currently using an old multimedia PJ which is something like 1500Lumens and I am going to buy a new PJ. I am sold on the Z3 because of price and free lamp but the lack of lumens does bother me as I really dont like the though of saturday afternoons in total darkness because of the curtains being shut just so I can see the footy.

Now you have seen an 800 compared to a 1200 lumens PJ how much difference has it really made, the PJtx100 is about £100 more and no spare lamp but it is a lot brighter...

3. PjPip

PjPip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I guess it all depends on your individual layout. My screen sits at right angles to a very large window and generally the curtains are closed when viewing anyway.

With the Epson, I could push the output up enough to watch TV in daylight, although I have to say the colours and saturation were a bit naff in it's brightest mode. Also, if the sun was out there is no way I could view the screen during the day.

With the Sanyo though, I can't see it ever being an option with the curtains open. Again, I've only had the PJ a day, so I've not even tried it yet and haven't gone through a decent setup. It doesn't particularly bother me, the PJ is for movies when we generally darken the room anyway. If we watched TV on it, it was usually before/after/between movies anyway, whilst the screen was down.

There is one bonus though, it is practically silent :) I'll update the post as I get to try it out a bit more.

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,349
    I upgraded from the TW-10h to the Z3 and the difference is amazing! Personally I find the Z3 at least as bright as the Epson (running both in low lamp mode) and find the brightness ample. I have the PJ is a fairly light controlled room, although there's still some ambient light during the day.

The sharpness or picture and contrast on the Z3 really bring the image to life, where as some films looked a bit flat on the Epson.

TBH most home cinema PJ's are meant to be viewed in a light conrolled environment and the picture will always suffer when you watch in light conditions. Plus if you always run the PJ in high bulb mode then you halve it's life span.

5. sime

sime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    which ceiling mount would be a good purchase for the z3 as i have seen a couple on ebay but i am un-decided

6. PjPip

PjPip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Couldn't say to be honest as I use mine mounted on a portable TV bracket on the back wall. There is a purpose made vertical wall mount as well that I hadn't seen before allows you to mount the PJ flat against a wall and uses a mirror to angle the pic bacl towards the screen.

CAS FAN is absolutely right though, the PQ is amazing. There is a whole new depth to the pictures. I certainly don't regret the change.

7. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I went for the Vogels EPC-4010 without an extension pole. It cost around £80 from AVRabbit, which is as cheap as mounts get outside of Ebay, and it looks great - every other ceiling mount I have seen looks like meccano.

It's also very easy to fit, all you need to do is drill two 8m diameter/60mm depth holes, push in the wall plugs and your away. Of course you need to find a ceiling joist in the right position and also check for wiring/studs - all these tests can be done with a simple wire/stud/joist detector from B&Q for £10.

You'll need to get the m6 to m4 bolt adaptors to get it to fit, but the UK distributor sent them to me for free.

8. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    Why would you want to use wall plugs in a wooden ceiling joist, surely ordinary woodscrews would be better?

Regards

Mark

9. mabell

mabell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have had the Z3 for less than a week and have been using it to watch the football... its great.

I too was concerned about sitting in a dark room during the day, and this is not the case. I think as long as you can control the amount of light coming into the room, you will be very comfortable with the picture quality during the day. I recommend buying blinds from Ikea, I think the Lindmon range. They are very cheap, and whilst they are not blackout, they will protect the screen from the sun and allow you to watch the football during the day. I would describe my room as shaded, but not dark, which is absolutely fine for watching the football.

10. sime

sime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i have a large bay window and my screen is mounted in front of this i purchased 3 wood blinds from dunelm as they have got a little sale on these at the moment these do a pritty good job i just tilt them upwards and away i go my room isnt totally blacked out though but this doesnt cause any major problems at all..........

back to the ceiling mount i have just got mine sat on the box it came in at the moment but thanks for the info i am going to make a purchase soon

11. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm using my Z3 on a 30cm Vogel universal mount. Tbh I'm dissapointed in the mount as no matter what I do I cannot get the PJ to stay level so its slopping downwards atm and I've had to adjust it to fit the screen.

Apart from that console, films, tv (using a HDD Panasonic) have all been brilliant. So much bang per buck compared to plasma.

Suprised how quiet it is when its above my head. Looks great on the DRH screen I bought (79" I think something like that).

I've got a blackout blind behind my screen so picture looks good even in the day time.

Overall :smashin:

12. robzter

robzter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi guys.ive found the Z3 with voucher for £718.00 from Nexnix (exc VAT as im in Jersey) has anyone used this company before? im seriously tempted to get this PJ now

13. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    loads of people on these forums have used nexnix and I think you will find you will only get great reports

14. PjPip

PjPip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Actually bought mine from Nexnix, no problems. Although I did go and collect mine because next day is just too long to wait for new toys :D

15. robzter

robzter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Guys whatever you do not buy from www.laptopsetc.co.uk
    despite selling the Z3 on their website at Price,EX VAT= £745.00 Inc Vat & Delivery £875.38
    they have quoted me £945.00 !!!!! :rolleyes:
    i have sent 2 e-mails and they will not explain why? ive told them its for jersey so it should come in VAT and a lot less! i have now been quoted by NEXNIX £718 inc delivery "!!! how can they explain that?? and what a great deal by NEXNIX
    also i sent an e-mail last friday to laptopsetc and have only just recieved a reply! terrible customer service to boot.STAY AWAY !!!
    it certainly pays to shop.

16. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +420
    my Z3 arrived tuesday from Nexnix and i finally set it up last night.... i wasn't really that impressed at first, sure the resolution was higher (than my old Z1.) and that made any screen door i did see before disappear.

i thought the picture was really soft and the blacks greyer than the Z1, (out of the box) i ran Avia ntsc and that improved it but i think i need to go into more detail as the Z3 has much more picture tweaking options than the Z1.

another thing i noticed was VB was practically non existent, which is great.

but in the long run i think this will be a cracking projector with HD/Blue ray next year and with the free bulb i will be very happy for many years to come. (a least 3 anyway :thumbsup: ....)

so the pro's over my Z1. (not that i was unhappy with it, far from it in fact. if it wasn't for the free bulb and cheap price i probably wouldn't have upgraded)

higher resolution (hd ready)
    no VB
    Quieter
    better connections (2 comp & HDMI)
    free bulb (so possible 4000-5000 hours of pj happiness)

Cons.

harder to set up! (way to many tweaking options!) :eek:
    erm....thats it

17. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    How did you find the brightness, is the picture nice and bright or do you find it dull at all??

18. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +420
    i found it very bright, not dull in the slightest.

i think thats why i think the blacks are greyer than the should be, but i need to go back and adjust my contrast and brightness levels.

i'll probably have another go with Avia and then have a go with DVE (pal)

19. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'd read r0nes Smart thread on the Z3. The guy spends way too many hours tweaking his Z3 and then posts his results so the rest of us can benefit.

I used his 100 hours test settings (page 8 or 9 I think on this very long thread) and found these to work a treat with my HDMI source from my Samsung HD850 DVD Player.

I also found setting the Z3's overscan to 0 made a fantastic difference in reducing the noise in the picture. :smashin:

20. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I've just bought a Z3 as well. I was thinking about waiting for the new generation of projectors out in the next couple of months, but the low price and free lamp swayed me. Here's my little review.

I previously had a Sharp NV4 4:3 data projector, which was originally launched in 1999 with 600 lumens and a 200:1 contrast ratio, so I had high hopes for the Z3 when it arrived yesterday. I also bought a Samsung 950 DVD player from Richer Sounds so I could use the HDMI interface.

So what did I think of the Z3?

Well, it's good, but it's not necessarily what I was expecting.

Brightness is far better than my Sharp. I thought that at only 800 lumens I might not see much difference, but in the high lamp modes it's very bright. It certainly won't be a problem to watch the football during the day, as long as I can keep direct sunlight out of the room.

Contrast is very good. I was always bothered by dark scenes on my last projector, which just seemed to disappear into a grey cloud, but the Z3 is at least as good as I was expecting in this regard.

Screen door effect is minimal, but is still there if you look for it in bright scenes, even at 1.5 screen width. To be honest, I wasn't expecting to see any at all.

The overall picture? It's very good. In some scenes, such as the pans over the cityscape in Spiderman, the detail is spectacular. The image is punchy, clear and vivid. But it's 'very good' rather than truly excellent, and maybe I was expecting a little too much from the projector here.

It still looks like a digital image rather than film and I can't quite pinpoint why. In part, I think the colours are a little off - especially skin tones, and the filters mentioned in other threads may help with that.

However, I think one of the main reasons might be that the image is a little too accurate - the artifacts in DVDs are very obvious in places, especially fringing around brightly coloured objects. The picture is also rather noisy in places. I guess that high-definition DVDs will be a lot better when they arrive next year.

There is also a slight colour uniformity problem, with a greenish tint on the right half of the screen. It's only obvious with B&W sources, though, so I'm not too bothered.

Am I glad I bought the projector? Definitely. Would I have been better off waiting for the next generation? Almost certainly not. At the current price, the Z3 is a bargain, especially with the free lamp. I don't think that the newer PJs will go much further towards solving the small issues I mentioned above.

Should Z1 and AE100 owners rush out and buy one of these? Yes. Subjectively speaking, the picture is twice as good, rather than 10x as good as a projector from 3 or 4 years ago, but if you can flog your old PJ for £200, you've upgraded to a better machine with a new lamp and got a spare lamp too for just £600, which can't be bad!

21. oneline

oneline
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gents,
    I have a Z1 and would like to ask a couple of questions about upgrading from a Z1 to a Z3.

I use an LMP ceiling mount and a scart to vga cable,if I upgraded would I be able to use these or would I have to buy replacements.

Also is the throw distance the same.

22. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I bought an RGB Scart to VGA cable from www.keene.co.uk which was advertised as being for the Z1 which works perfectly with the Z3 aslong as you set the computer input to RGB in the Z3's menus.

Therefore you should be fine with your current cable with the Z3.

Not sure about about the ceiling mount or the throw distance being the same as the Z1.

23. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +420
    they are very similar, i used my same mount and screen positions and it was fine. but in saying that, i'm not at the max or min zoom.

24. oneline

oneline
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies gents.