New York & New York State

Discussion in 'Travelling & Holidays' started by gg13533, Jul 31, 2012.

1. gg13533

gg13533

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +535
    Starting to plan a 7 day break in New York & New York State. Been to New York a few times so will spend a few days there, then say 4 days in New York State.

Any advice regarding places to go and things to see?

Also any tips for car hire - book well in advance or book late? Reputable companies to hire from in Manhattan and then drop off at the airport. What about sat nav? Can you get it with the car? Is it needed? Are roads well enough signed etc that a map will suffice?

We will spend a day or so around Woodbury Common for a spot of retail therapy and probably head from there to the airport.

Thanks for any advice, tips etc

G

2. wongataa

wongataa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Hire car companies will rent you sat navs but usually charge a lot for them. I recently went to the states at took my sat nav with me. The cost of US maps was less than the hire cost would be. I found it very useful. I think they are good in unfamiliar places. I found road signage very poor in comparison to here. I was over on the west coast so I don't know how good it is in New York.

3. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    Have you decided on which parts of New York State you will be visiting? If you had/have the time, I would recommend Bear Mountain State Park (which should be relatively quick to drive to seeing as it's in Orange County) as well as the Saranac Lakes area (but that's proper upstate New York)

4. gg13533

gg13533

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +535
    Thanks. I'll check out Bear Mountain. Saranac looks a bit far, good lady doesn't like doing long distances in the car and there is always the pull towards Woodbury Common.