New York - Must See Spots

stument

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all, im off to New York on friday for 7 Days over the Christmas period, and i have already looked into what i would like ot see while there:

Empire Statebuilding
Statue Of Liberty
Ground Zero
Times Square
Madison Square Gardens (Ice Hockey) No Basket Ball :(
Intrepid Sea Air And Space Museum
Rockerfeller Center & Observation Deck
Brooklyn Bridge
Ganeral Shopping area's

I like to ask on forums (usually Photograhpy Ones) Mainly towards people that have been there once or even a few times, have i missed any MUST SEE locations while im in New York?

Last edited:
all good choices, also how about a stroll through Central Park?

I've visited NYC numerous times and last visited in November this year. I did the usual sights (again, again) but I must say I found the Twin Towers memorial and gallery/museum very depressing. I personally would give that a miss. I would also miss out Empire State Building and visit the Rock instead. It gives you the better views. I've never visited Intrepid but a friend's parents did. The father enjoyed it but the mother didn't! I have walked up the west side from downtown all the way up to Intrepid which is pleasant walk. If you don't want to actually go the Statue of Liberty (it was closed for refurbishment last month) or visit Ellis Island, just get the Staten Island ferry for free and take pictures on board. The museums are also worth a look inc. the Natural History Museum etc. It's not far from Strawberry Fields and the Dakota Building if you're a Beatles fan. If you were a fan of The Sopranos, I can highly recommend the Sopranos Tour. It leaves from the garment district under the needle/button monument on 39th. I thought the NBA dispute was over? Shame, as it's worth going to. I have done the Knicks, Red Bulls (football season is over now), Yankees etc. If there are no Giants/Jets NFL games on while you're there, there are plenty of bars showing NFL on a Sunday and Monday. Pick a team, google for the bar and go along. It's mad! Speaking of bars, NYC is full of bars and are well worth a stop in between shopping etc. Don't buy one round and move on though. Stay for a couple and hopefully you'll get a 'buy back'. I would also try and see if there are any live music gigs on while you're there. Often you can see obscure bands and British bands in very small venues and getting hold of tickets isn't too difficult.

If you're into photography, I wouldn't worry about asking where is best to take your camera. The whole place is worthy of taking pics. especially if you're into street photography. I got a few good shots of the Wall Street protest camp.

Enjoy the trip. It's definitely my favourite city and will no doubt go back again.

Last edited:
Top of the Rock is definitely better that the Empire State Building but I ended up doing the Rock during the day and then the Empire at midnight one night - was very, very good :)

Definitely do the Brooklyn Bridge - best way is to get the subway to Brooklyn, have a wander, maybe grab something to eat, then walk back across to Manhattan.
Also good is Greenwich Village - some nice easting spots there (and Chinatown) and don't forget Grand Central and Hells Kitchen :smashin:

I would recommend getting a 7 day subway pass ($24 I think) and then you can go and explore everywhere.
I was there in August and loved it - Xmas should be amazing :)

xmas in NYC no one does it better

you've pretty much summed up all the places :)

Macys ain't too bad either for shopping

Last edited:
Just got back 2 weeks ago agree with top of the rock over empire state building and Brooklyn bridge is having work done to it so half is covered. Statue of liberty observation also closed for upgrades. Watched the NY Rangers at Madison Sq Gardens, was a real treat. The others seem to have been covered and if it's shopping your after try Woodbury Common, you need to get a bus there lots of outlet stores there. Need a full day though.

This is great help so far everyone Thank you

Didnt think to see Letterman :smashin:

I believe you can apply online. Also look at Jimmy Fallon :)

Have been to NY many times. Another must do is the Staten Island Ferry (as mentioned by davepuma) but go once at night and once by day. Views of Manhattan and Statue of Liberty are excellent and, best of all, the return ferry trip is not expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just got an email re. the Knicks so maybe the NBA season is going to start soon?

NBA season starts Christmas Day, I got the Knicks pre order email as well. Can't recommend the garden enough, I'm a big NBA fan but it was amazing.

Should add the garden itself is fairly old and dated, and not cheap. But it was still a great event.

Should add the garden itself is fairly old and dated, and not cheap. But it was still a great event.

Haven't they just finished a massive internal rebuild of it? When I walked past it in August it was closed and a building site inside.

Lancia34 said:
Haven't they just finished a massive internal rebuild of it? When I walked past it in August it was closed and a building site inside.

They have indeed, it's a massive rebuild/renovation that is still going on with the project not due to be fully completed until 2013 at a total cost of US$850 million :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom