New Years Honours

CFC1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hot on the heels on whether or not we will hear those immortal words "Arise Sir David Beckham" :eek: Reports today suggest that U2's Bono will be given an honorary Knighthood......

What about that bloke I saw the other day that stopped a kid running out onto the road in front of a bus? Will he get a medal for saving the kid's life?

These honours are outdated and a mechanism to reward the elite and a "backhander" to others, particularly in the political field.

I only have time for this when the ordinary man in the street gets rewarded for bravery, long service etc.... I remember when I was living back home in London and the woman that ran the printing department for 38 years at my workplace was given an MBE.... It was great because it was out of the blue and couldn't have gone to a nicer lady... just reward for a productive working life... :smashin:

Well comparing Beckham to Bono ... one has 26 years of being at the top of the music industry and about 20 odd years as a campaigner against world poverty, the other is a past his prime thick as :censored: footballer with an annoying wife

EDIT: mods/Stuart ... I thought the word pig---- would be dealt with by the swear filter ... apologies, Merry Christmas, and do I really deserve an infraction ;)

Well comparing Beckham to Bono ... one has 26 years of being at the top of the music industry and about 20 odd years as a campaigner against world poverty, the other is a past his prime thick as :censored: footballer with an annoying wife

But Bono is an annoying git too - I believe that he, like many 'celebs', do all the charity work as much for their own good (publicity) as for the recipients.

I do like U2's music, but I just wish he'd concentrate on writing music and keep his mouth shut.

Also I read today that U2 are worth €600million. Why doesn't he hand over 90% of his wealth if he cares so much about world poverty?

But Bono is an annoying git too - I believe that he, like many 'celebs', do all the charity work as much for their own good (publicity) as for the recipients ...
... Also I read today that U2 are worth €600million. Why doesn't he hand over 90% of his wealth if he cares so much about world poverty?
I agree, but I was making a comparison to Beckham, who gets on my tits a lot more :D

Also, believe that Bono won't be able to call himself 'Sir' as he is Irish.

I wish he would call himself by his proper name - and 'The Edge' too !!

Jez lads, you're both nearly 50 - grow up!!

Also, believe that Bono won't be able to call himself 'Sir' as he is Irish.

I wish he would call himself by his proper name - and 'The Edge' too !!

Jez lads, you're both nearly 50 - grow up!!
Yup same as 'Sir' Bob Geldof, Arsene Wenger, et al ...

What about Meatloaf and Alice Cooper, they're pushing 60? ;)

i think bono deserves the award, at least as much as if not moreso than prettymuch anyone else i can think of who got it or who is due to get it. he has a quality back catalogue of music with u2 who have kept the same lineup for 25 years, with only 3 musicians and a vocalist filling stadiums the world over and getting everyone to sing along. people have received awards for far less

and whilst some may think he is only in it for himself and on a huge ego trip with his charity work, and you may well be right, the fact is that many people far worse off than us are benefiting from his ego trip. he is helping to save the lives of children who may die otherwise. if he has saved one child alone from dying then i think he deserves the award, don't you?

i think music is one of the most powerful things in the world, the pen is mightier than the sword. rock stars can put on a concert or write a song and make fans the world over follow what they say, and if that can be put to good use and save people, then i see nothing wrong with that. events like live aid and live 8 unite people around the world to help the less fortunate as people can be more inclined to listen to and believe a singer than a politician. maybe that's not quite right, but it's the way it is. who do you trust? blair, bush or bono?

(and whilst i think U2 have a great catalogue etc, i'm not exactly a U2 fan, tho i certainly don't dislike them)

i think bono deserves the award, at least as much as if not moreso than prettymuch anyone else i can think of who got it or who is due to get it. he has a quality back catalogue of music with u2 who have kept the same lineup for 25 years,
Its actually 30 years, the same four guys having formed The Larry Mullen Band at Mount Temple Comp, Dublin, around 1976, with a fifth member (second guitarist); then immediately renamed themselves The Hype, then that fifth member jumped ship to another band and they renamed themselves U2 in '78.

Getting back to honours - I don't see why posthumous honours cannot be awarded; if they can award the likes of Ellen MacArthur, Kelly Holmes and Matthew Pinsent a damehood/knighthood two minutes after they win a medal (rather than at the usual times - New Year, Queen's b'day, PM's resignation etc), why can't the likes of Bobby Moore, Ronnie Barker, et al receive anything? Bobby Moore has been treated shabbily!! :thumbsdow

Lets make a point of never addressing ANYONE as sir or lord form now on.Just refuse to recognise the titles.All titles should henceforth be declared null and void including Eral, Duke, Baron,etc Just Fred , Pete or Jack will do.

It would be more appropriate if he was offered treatment for his vastly inflated ego.

he does, they stick him on stage with tens of thousands of idol worshippers.

i was front row at the glasgow gig last year in hampden, it was amazing. bono was clicking his fingers and said "every time i click my fingers a child dies in africa", so i shouted to him, "stop clicking your ****ing fingers then!"

Its actually 30 years, the same four guys having formed The Larry Mullen Band at Mount Temple Comp, Dublin, around 1976, with a fifth member (second guitarist); then immediately renamed themselves The Hype, then that fifth member jumped ship to another band and they renamed themselves U2 in '78.

Getting back to honours - I don't see why posthumous honours cannot be awarded; if they can award the likes of Ellen MacArthur, Kelly Holmes and Matthew Pinsent a damehood/knighthood two minutes after they win a medal (rather than at the usual times - New Year, Queen's b'day, PM's resignation etc), why can't the likes of Bobby Moore, Ronnie Barker, et al receive anything? Bobby Moore has been treated shabbily!! :thumbsdow

i can just imagine the queen with a sword over the rotting corpses of dead hero's. do you think wills and harry would dig them up?

if he has saved one child alone from dying then i think he deserves the award, don't you?
NO

Surgeons save children's lives every day but don't go bleating on about it.

Telling people to donate money to "Make Poverty History" is one thing. At the same time spending 3m Euro on a boat and avoiding taxes in Ireland is another. I wish he would just concentrate on being a rock star and quietly do good things with his money.

PS the glasses look silly

Lets make a point of never addressing ANYONE as sir or lord form now on.Just refuse to recognise the titles.All titles should henceforth be declared null and void including Eral, Duke, Baron,etc Just Fred , Pete or Jack will do.
What about Liz and Phil?

Huh! Then Betty Windsor might stop calling us "her loyal subjects" and just call us plain "Colin and Justin" :eek:
Cow. My names Alan :mad:

NO

Surgeons save children's lives every day but don't go bleating on about it.

Telling people to donate money to "Make Poverty History" is one thing. At the same time spending 3m Euro on a boat and avoiding taxes in Ireland is another. I wish he would just concentrate on being a rock star and quietly do good things with his money.

PS the glasses look silly

fair enough comment, but his actions have probably save thousands of lives, and inspired many others to help also. i'm sure he's spent many millions on things for himself like most other rockstars, but unlike most rockstars he is at least doing something to try and help others, and he appears to be having some positive results. what's david beckham or anyone else getting an award done for others?

fair enough comment, but his actions have probably save thousands of lives, and inspired many others to help also. i'm sure he's spent many millions on things for himself like most other rockstars, but unlike most rockstars he is at least doing something to try and help others, and he appears to be having some positive results. what's david beckham or anyone else getting an award done for others?
I believe that Beckham has done a lot for charitable trusts over the years. As a general rule I prefer to see honours going to people who haven't sought to bask in the glare of publicity for any good work they may have done.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom