1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Year, new TV - advice sought

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by lymond, Jan 20, 2005.

1. lymond

lymond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Our 12 year old Ferguson, 20" TV has just given up the ghost. We have been thinking about a new TV, but now our hand is being forced! We don't want a huge great widescreen, so hoped to jump straight to an LCD. But reading all these postings it all seems so technical - I can't understand the half of what goes on here.

We need it to: link to Sky, video and DVD. We do not have any sound surround speakers or the like. No need for link to PS2 etc. But we do like a 'good' picture (ie natural colour), and we also need a reasonable viewing-angle range

Our budget is about £600-£800. I thought a 23" would be OK, but a man in a shop pointed out that the picture gets slightly narrower, so bigger might be needed - 26"? I have been looking at Sharp 22, Phillips 23 or Goodmans 26. (all Richer Sounds at about our price point).

How do we choose? Recommendations/experiences gratefully received.
    Thanks

2. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume your 20" Ferguson was a 4:3 screen. In that case you'll need at least 26" widescreen to get the same picture height (12") otherwise your picture will actually look smaller.

I've not really looked at this size range but there are a few things worth being aware of:

Sky are planning to start broadcasting in High Definition next year. If you intend to upgrade your Sky to this, you'll need at TV that's HDCP ready - there's a separate thread all about this listing the TVs that have got it.

Go for the highest resolution you can find - that's probably 1280x720 pixels at this size range.

Try and find out the pixel response time. It's not often quoted and there are different ways to measure it, but you should be looking for something quoted at less than 20ms, otherwise you'll see motion blur on fast moving objects.

Consider the connections. You'll want RGB SCART for Sky and probably a second SCART for your video and depending on your DVD player component, DVI or HDMI to get the best from it.

I've not watched any VHS on my LCD, but you'll find that they are all intollerant of poor quality source material - which includes the low grade Sky channels (should be OK with the major ones). Something to be aware of.

Good Luck!

3. lymond

lymond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Ginger. It's given me some concrete things to consider when looking at models.

4. roberte

roberte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    SHARP LC26GA4's YOUR BABY

5. lymond

lymond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Robert! Is this the model that is getting harder to find? I have read a few posts from people with one, but there don't appear to be many available. Is it a case of get one now before its too late, or is there something similar/better worth waiting 6 months for?

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    There always will be.