New Year Gas Bill-People in Fuel Poverty

kopchoir

Ex Member
Reaction score
Really looking forward to mine :rolleyes::D I have had the heating on pretty much 24/7 over the last few weeks probably months now its just been to cold to worry about it and im expecting a huge bill

When do they start coming through the post anyone know im with scottish power i started putting some cash aside before xmas and during the freeze(couldn go out to spend any cash:D)so im hoping ill have enough to cover it

In more serious concerns Customers are 630million in the red and 1.2 million wont be able to afford this bill 149% increase for those going on a debt repayment plan.
Utilities companies not passing on falling wholesale cuts,
There are going to be huge cut offs i can see it not good really as its still cold not as bad but still nippy.

Pensioners at least get some help over the winter suppsoe every little helps.

Do most folk change their supplier this time of year then and has anyone got their gas bill through yet

Kop

Last edited:
Really looking forward to mine :rolleyes::D I have had the heating on pretty much 24/7 over the last few weeks probably months now its just been to cold to worry about it and im expecting a huge bill

When do they start coming through the post anyone know im with scottish power i started putting some cash aside before xmas and during the freeze(couldn go out to spend any cash:D)so im hoping ill have enough to cover it

In more serious concerns Customers are 630million in the red and 1.2 million wont be able to afford this bill 149% increase for those going on a debt repayment plan.
Utilities companies not passing on falling wholesale cuts,Maybe th egoverment should of privatised these instaed of the banks would of been and election winner:D
There are going to be huge cut offs i can see it not good really as its still cold not as bad but still nippy.

Pensioners at least get some help over the winter suppsoe every little helps.

Do most folk change their supplier this time of year then and has anyone got their gas bill through yet

Kop

:confused:..The utility companies are 'privatised.'

had a little girl in late nov so since then had the heating on 24/7 and was dreading it.
Luckly it seemed Eon over estimated and we ended up in debit but by a lot less then before.

I deliberately over pay during the spring/summer months so that I don't get a huge bill after a cold period like this. Heating has been on pretty much 24/7 since late October as we have a 10 month-old baby. My excess payment should be about £20 :)

im with eon, their fixed online deals are very competitive.... and have been for me for 3 years now, customer service is second to none (i had an earth issue and they had central networks out within 24hrs:cool:) and i can do everything online... even give my own readings and change plans etc.... brilliant! just had my latest bill and its good, i pay a variable dd where by it started at 110 jan 09 and every bill (quarterly) they adjust the amount i pay..... so in october they had only taken 58 quid.... nice concept :)

when i had my new boiler the year before i just left the thermostat on 20 deg C, big mistake :facepalm: lol!! my gas bill was over 500 quid more than i had been paying... they wanted to increase my dd from 55 quid to 142!! :eek: so i do sympathise with the elderly.... as the government concessions are frankly laughable :mad:

i just paid it off in full and iv learnt a few lesson's... ensure the loft is fully insulated and no draughts can escape through doors (iv got the basic 100mm between the joists, but my garage is full of rolls....400mm waiting to go up there :D) and wear an extra layer or two... my current dd is approx 70 quid now and the house is warm :)

back on topic and eon would be my supplier of choice for the next few yrs at least.... very impressed with their service more than anything else :smashin:

We are hopefully going to be lucky this year. Npower got our bill wrong in the summer so we have ended up £300 in credit. Hopefully this should cover the amount of gas we've used

I've had my gas central heating on pretty much constant since October and I got my gas bill the other day, which covered the mid October- mid January period. I almost fainted as it said I was £350 in credit, until it dawned on me it was an estimated bill and the figures they used where way below the actual meter reading.

Now gotta wait to I get the 'proper' bill through the door.....doh :-(

Not looking forward to mine, her indoors has it on all the time, i'm forever going home and changing the thermostat back to around 20 sometimes from 25. :eek:

Infact i like it temperate and sometimes find it uncomfortably hot when i go home.

Well its on DD so i will not notice (look at) it. :D

Sid

Not looking forward to mine, her indoors has it on all the time, i'm forever going home and changing the thermostat back to around 20 sometimes from 25. :eek:

It was a battle but I've managed to persuade my wife that we should have the thermostat set at 18, heating is on timer from 07:00 to 23:00 (I work, wife doesn't), we spend 90% of our waking time in the living room so have the gas fire on when it gets a bit nippy. Just moved into a new (bigger) house last Nov so bigger bills have been a concern of mine

£393 just paid. By no means ideal but thankfully magazine work paid £440 last month so I rolled my eyes and paid it. It could have been lower but the Mrs prefers the thermostat at tropical and the house is not as energy efficient as it could be. I have held off doing some of the energy saving work on this house in the expectation of moving sooner rather than later.

I have held off doing some of the energy saving work on this house in the expectation of moving sooner rather than later.

I have been saying that for the past couple of years now lol, going to have to make a start on it this year as i want to be selling in 2 years max

I hardly ever have mine on,unless its very cold.Had it on for a few hours for a couple of days when we had the snow.But i normally sit about in shorts moaning about it being too hot.My problem is the summer as i cant stand the hot weather,i like to keep the aircon on constant! Thats what you call high bills :eek:

Both gas and elec bills just dropped through the door today.

For 3 months up to 19 Jan, £500 gas, £300 elec. :eek:

Actual readings too.

Both gas and elec bills just dropped through the door today.

For 3 months up to 19 Jan, £500 gas, £300 elec. :eek:

Actual readings too.

Blimey! that's an insane amount. How do you sleep at night knowing you have got to pay that? :eek:

Just had our duel fuel bill through the door. Total... £1000!

£400 on electric and £600 on gas. We have a large'ish 4 bedroom detached. Not a happy man. I even had Npower call the other day asking for the reading thinking it may work out cheaper as its not estimated. Hardly! How much is everyone else paying? I hate winter bills. I had to put my boiler on max over the last month and a bit as it simply wasnt warming the house up otherwise!

Mine was £400 gas and £400 electric.

However, my electric is normally high due to having TVs and projectors here for review and having to soak test them running for hours on end. Gas is higher than last year at this time, but used about the same.

Just had my winter one come through and I am in credit :clap:
Well I am on the leccy by £150ish and over on the gas by £80
Its bi-annual , so the leccy for winter was £425, gas £550
monthly payments are due to drop by a third for the summer :clap:

Last edited:
Not as bad as i was expecting

£291 gas / £216 electricity

3 bed flat, shared with 2 others and not as energy efficient as it could be

Only got a week to pay though - Eon want payment for both by the 12/03/10

4 bed 30's detached.

£400 gas
£300 leccy