New Yamaha Z-11 Flagship AV amp !!

R

recruit

Been waiting for this one for a while now and certainly looks the business :thumbsup: does any one know when the release date is for this one In europe that is ?

Yamaha Z-11

Looks lovely in the titanium finish too.

Attachments

• Z11.JPG
    Z11.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 2,351
Cheers chaps :thumbsup: i do love the look of the titanium finish, the Z11 looks more or less the same as the original Z9 but it is also just over 5kg heavier comeing in at 35.9kg :eek:

Always a sign of good power supplies IMO:D

My Cary 5 channel power amp weighs in at 38kg (or at least it will do when I get my new replacement back) - half killed me installing it - and that's nothing compared to some of the monsters out there.

Recruit are you also going to take a look at the Denon AVC A1HD?

Always a sign of good power supplies IMO
I think it strange that Yamaha should take what appears to be a backward step in changing the power supply design. I say this as I was always under the impression that Toroidal power supplies were superior to the EI ones and the old Z9 had a toroidal one as opposed to the Z11's EI one? If you look at NAD, Denon, Marantz, Cambridge Audio or Onkyo, all the high end ones have the toroidal designs, so I don't know if this will effect the performance of the Z11?

Russell

Toroids are no better than frame transformers, the only possible (and not always definite) advantage in real terms is that you can get higher power for the size.

Toroids are something of a fashion peice on alot of hifi, especially on the lower end where its marked out as a feature, as if its going to make any difference whatsoever.

It's not a backward step at all. The Z11's transformer is still giant, 22lbs! And will be of a very high quality. Don't forget the power output of the Z11 is actually less than that of the Z9.

There are positives and negetives to both designs. Some things EI transformers are better at (line noise rejection).

Hmmm. Interesting. After a bit of digging it looks like all of Denon's high end hifi use frame transformers, so perhaps this isn't such a "backwards step" as I called it.

I must admit, I found the Z9 rather too laid back when I had one. The previous AZ1 has more bite, more pace, so perhaps this is being rectified in the newer version (in changing the design)?

Russell

I spoke to Yamaha last week about the Z11, but was impossible to get through to 'Steve' in the technical dept.So emailed them, and eventually they replied. They said they have no details on release date or price for the euro/uk DSP model. Lucky yanks are gonna get theirs (RX) first !

Actually just checked the email again and it looks like the Z11 is going to have a worldwide launch so the yanks might not get theirs first after all lol:)

Just as a guess but i bet it will come in around the 3k mark.
If it does then it makes it all the more attractive! I'm sure I read somewhere a good while back that it was gonna be about $8000 (US) and so I was looking more at the 4k mark for us brits. Only time will tell eh?!:)

£3k is a little low, considering the Z9 was £3300 and the 2700/1700 replacements are more expensive. I suspect that the Yamaha will slightly undercut the new big Denon A1HD and Pioneer, but will definitely be more than the Z9 predecessor. My estimate would be closer to £3500.

Russell

Good God almighty! I'd rather have seperates at £5k. If anything that big Onkyo may be better with it's modular construction (not that they have released anything new).

£5000 is too much, surely?

Russell

I think Crustyloafer might be right (lovely setup by the way:thumbsup:). I'm sure the U.S price was at least $8k, and judging by the extra we normally have to pay in the UK, it's got to be between £4-5k. Maybe it being the first receiver in the world to feature Thx Ultra 2 plus has pushed the price up??
I'm in the dilemma of whether to go for the Z11 or go for seperates like russraff said. Maybe a Nad M25 amp and T175 processor or Audiolab 8000 AP. It's doing me friggin head in lol:(

I think Crustyloafer might be right (lovely setup by the way:thumbsup:). I'm sure the U.S price was at least $8k, and judging by the extra we normally have to pay in the UK, it's got to be between £4-5k. Maybe it being the first receiver in the world to feature Thx Ultra 2 plus has pushed the price up??
I'm in the dilemma of whether to go for the Z11 or go for seperates like russraff said. Maybe a Nad M25 amp and T175 processor or Audiolab 8000 AP. It's doing me friggin head in lol:(

I am sure that Crustyloafer is not right.;) The US price is $5000 (http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=88646). In Belgium the DSP-Z11 will cost 5500 Euro according to the official Yamaha distributor.

At £3500, I'll be having one of these beauties:thumbsup: ...... Z9 for sale, anyone?:D

Hmmm. Interesting. After a bit of digging it looks like all of Denon's high end hifi use frame transformers, so perhaps this isn't such a "backwards step" as I called it.

I must admit, I found the Z9 rather too laid back when I had one. The previous AZ1 has more bite, more pace, so perhaps this is being rectified in the newer version (in changing the design)?

Russell

The Z9 has been said by many to be inferior in sound quality to the AX1/AZ1. There were no fancy video processors/auto setup units in them, they were all about audio.

The Z11 has more audio based refinements and the power boards are much better placed. I was surprised to see there is a dedicated headphone stage in the Z11, usually its just a link to the main L/R power amps with two resistors.

It certainly looks like Yamaha has taken much greater care with the audio in the Z11

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom