New Yamaha rx-v377 not turning on. Completely dead.

Rob250881

Novice Member
I've bought a new Yamaha rx-v377 amp for my 5.1 surround system and went to turn it on for the first time this morning and it is now completely dead.
When it first came on the front dispalyed hdmi1 and then it turned itself off and hasn't done anything since.
I've tried changing the fuse in the plug, using a different socket, trying it in a different room and still getting nothing from it.
I press the power button and get no response, no lights on the led front, no whirring, nothing.
Before I call the shop in the morning is there anything else I could / should try? Or is there something I'm missing that is meant to be done first?
I read in the user manual that if it doesn't power on it sometimes goes into protection mode. What is this and how do I get the damn thing out of it so that it can actually work?
This is my first venture into home cinema so I'm a complete novuce and this whole experience hasnt been a very good start at all. :(

MrSpark

I think protection mode is normally activated when the amp overheats. If you've just turned it on, I "think" it's something else causing the problem. If when you switch it on at the plug, there are no lights or clicking noises coming from the AVR? you should replace the fuse in the plug. If that doesn't work then speak to the retailer...

Rob250881

Novice Member
If when you switch it on at the plug, there are no lights or clicking noises coming from the AVR? you should replace the fuse in the plug. If that doesn't work then speak to the retailer...

There is nothing whatsoever, have tried changing the fuse. Guess it is going to be a call to the retailer in the morning and then the endless wait whilst they send a courier, test it, then (finally) send a replacement.

Violator

There is nothing whatsoever, have tried changing the fuse. Guess it is going to be a call to the retailer in the morning and then the endless wait whilst they send a courier, test it, then (finally) send a replacement.
I'm pretty sure if it's DOA then the onus is on them to provide a new unit asap.

As a matter of interest, have you disconnected everything (except power) and tried to power it on?

Rob250881

Novice Member
As a matter of interest, have you disconnected everything (except power) and tried to power it on?

Yes I've got it just on its own, nothing plugged into it, and its completely dead.

Had wondered if there was some switch I was meant to press but think it's just buggered.

MrSpark

Yes I've got it just on its own, nothing plugged into it, and its completely dead.

Had wondered if there was some switch I was meant to press but think it's just buggered.

If it's within 14 days of purchase you could send back and get a refund but if your happy with the AVR but have just been unlucky, then they will have to send a new one to you. Don't accept a repair. Yamaha AVR's are very reliable in my experience.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom