NEW: Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver!!!

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yamaha has just released the New Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver with even more digital features than the Yamaha RN500 -

R-N602 - Stereo Receivers - Yamaha - UK and Ireland

Truly an amp for the Modern Age.

It still has the same 80w/ch but adds Multi-Casting (Yamaha Music-Casting), Bluetooth, DSD (5.6Mhz, SACD file) support, DLNA, Airplay, USB-Media Port, and the very nice feature of WIRELESS Networking.

It has expanded its one-button access to Streaming services -

- vTuner
- Pandora
- Rhapsody
- Sirius XM
- Spotify
- Napster
- Juke

Right now the only place I could find that has the amp, or is at least advertising the amp, is Audio Affair -

Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver - £499 -

Yamaha R-N602 Network Receiver + MusicCast

Remember that the original Yamaha RN500 started at £499 and has gradually worked its way down to £310.

So, much the better for us. At £310, the Yamaha RN500 is a bargain, but I have no doubt that the Yamaha RN602 is worth the £499 price tag.

I'm not selling anything. While I wouldn't rate Yamaha amps as the best in the world, equally they do not cost the world. They are high-value high-quality and a good choice for people who are trying to maximize the money they spend.

Just passing it along.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Sorry ... forgot to add the video -

I believe the price is US$650 in the USA. That's still a lot of amp for the money.

For the same price in a Yamaha amp, you can get the 100w/ch Yamaha AS701 Integrated Amp with DAC (£499/US$799).

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
I've been looking at that Yamaha AS701 amp and was considering asking my local Superfi if they have one in the shop to demo at some point. With the matching Bluetooth adaptor it would tick most of my boxes.
I've never heard a Yamaha amp and I wondered how they compare to other similarly priced amps (Onkyo and Marantz spring to mind)?

They key to Yamaha is High Value, you get a lot of quality amp for the money. For those trying to maximize their money these always fall at the top of the list.

You can probably buy better sounding amps, but you will get less amp for your money.

Integrated Amps tend to be better than Receivers, as the price of each easily shows.

The more you spend on a Yamaha, the better they sound. I would expect the Yamaha AS701 to be very good with a Substantial 100w/ch.

If you don't need Network Streaming, then the AS701 with a Bluetooth Receiver should be a good combination. Tons of Power, DAC, Phono, Sub Out, etc....

Though don't get the Yamaha Bluetooth receiver, there are tons of them out there to choose from.

Only you can know for sure.

Steve/bluewizard

The beauty of the Yamaha bluetooth is that it is powered off the amp itself, so no additional plug socket required. I agree though there are a myriad of choices when it comes to bluetooth.

I will probably stick with my Creek amp and possibly invest in a quality bluetooth receiver such as the https://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/product/14870/audioengine-b1-bluetooth-audio-receiver&source=Froogle&utm_source=Froogle&utm_campaign=Froogle&utm_content=ADE-B1?gclid=CIOtvK7kvsgCFU-6GwodcKoMeQ.

I have a wife and two kids who all use our Spotify a/c and they could all use their smart phones, tablets etc. to stream it to a Audioengine B1. Having read a few reviews it seems that the B1 is a really decent perfomer, though not cheap admittedly.

I would still like to trial a good Yamaha though, just to satisfy my curiosity.

Have to admit, the spec is impressive.
And the price, you really can't really argue with that when compared to what is available same or similar elsewhere. You get practically everything.

Not too shabby at all

I know this isn't out yet but I guess that it'll be similar to previous Yamaha kit - Has anyone got any thoughts regarding the previous model (RN500), in particular how it compares to something like a Denon Piccolo (DRA-N5)?

I've got a Piccolo and am happy with the sound quality but it hasn't got enough inputs for me. I've got a turntable with a cheapo phono amp connected to the analogue in, and my CD player (Marantz CD6000OSE) is on the digital in. I'd like to also connect my PC via digital in so am thinking of getting something with more inputs.

The more I read about the Yamaha amps the more they seem like a good deal. I use the internet radio function on the Piccolo a lot, along with airplay from my iPhone/iPad.

I also like the idea of spotify connect as I do use Spotify a lot, but the Piccolo's implementation of spotify doesn't support connect and is very slow to browse, as is its ability to browse networked folders/albums on a NAS.

How does the Yamaha interface compare in terms of usability and general "snappiness"? The Denon is a little clunky at times.

Is the Yamaha iOS app any good? The Denon one is pretty poor. I know they have a newer one but it only supports the latest amps, not the DRA-N5 - That's another thing that bugs me, Denon/Marantz seem to have a habit of not supporting anything over a few months old, are Yamaha any better in that respect?

Also, is Yamaha's support any better than Denon's (which is pretty poor I must admit, no firmware updates of note and a few bugs that still exist even after reporting them)

Finally, sound quality - I know the RN500 was decent, and we'll resist discussing the sound of the RN602 till it comes out but I would definitely audition it before buying. The plan would be to pair it with something like the Zensor 5s.

Thanks for any comments

Last edited:
Hi,
Decided to upgrade from my Denon Ceol 7 and Wharfadale Dimond 10.2 Speakers,
I have bought a pair of Dali ikon 6 mk2 speakers, based on reviews and opinions on these forums, and was considering getting the Yamaha
R N-602 Receiver
I will be linking my TV to the R-N602 via Optical audio cable, I don't intend to have a surround sound speaker setup as the Dali speakers will be enough for my needs, I listen to music most of the time and feel the R-N602 HiFi Receiver will satisfy my requirements with its wide range of features Airplay Wifi etc. Question is will the R-N602 do justice for bringing out the quality of the Dali ikons? Opinions appreciated
Regards

I'm more interested in the usability aspect. I'm happy that a store audition will give me chance to hear it properly, but my main concern is getting it home and finding that it's slow, unresponsive or buggy or doesn't play well with a large music library.

I miss the days of not having to worry about how "snappy" an amp's interface was. I used to just have to push the right source button and turn the volume dial up.

Till it launches it looks like we'll both just have to accept any comments based on its predecessor. Fingers crossed that it's a good bit of kit though, it certainly looks like it on paper.

I miss the days of not having to worry about how "snappy" an amp's interface was. I used to just have to push the right source button and turn the volume dial up.

I know what you mean. I can go for days where all I do with my Creek amp is turn it on and just adjust the volume.

Having said that I do like the "look" of the Yamaha gear, but have never ever heard one. A few years ago I had a brief dalliance with a similar type Onkyo amp/receiver (the TX8050 was the model in question IIRC) but for all it's bells and whistles it sounded so poor in comparison with my Creek Evo 2 amp that I sent it back. I've never bought blind again, and luckily I learnt my lesson without losing out financially.

That's the thing - Shops are still set up for and catering for the "listener" (decent demo rooms, sound deadening panels or wall hangings & rugs, choice of speakers to demo with etc..) but how many of them can cater for the "user" (e.g. recreate a home network with NAS, or my Spotify account or internet radio preferences?)

Looking at my library it contains 18422 songs, split over 1251 albums. My NAS is a bit crap and runs the WD media server software. For all I know it could take the receiver 5 minutes to browse to an album - How could I even expect a shop to recreate that scenario? I'm hoping some real world experience of the Yamahas might get discussed in here.

I know my Denon is clunky at browsing via the app, and even slower on the device itself. Most of the time I use airplay from my PC as it is easier, but it's a shame to have to switch it on just to play an album. Likewise the built in Spotify function (it doesn't support Spotify connect) - I have so many playlists saved it struggles to load the list.

Are there any similar priced alternatives that I should look at? I'm aware of the Denon/Marantz range but not 100% keen. Don't get me wrong, I love their normal hi-fi, having owned pieces of kit by them (PMA-350, CD52 MKII, and my current CD6000OSE) but their implementation of networking and apparent lack of customer support (see this forum for examples) puts me off.

I have a very simple system: Amp - CDP - Squeezebox Touch - Speakers

I have a similar sized music library collection to yourself which over the years I have systematically built up steadily by ripping every CD I've ever owned to FLAC files which currently sit on my old, unused PC upstairs. I can stream from my PC to my SBT if I wanted to but quite honestly I prefer browsing my CDs and picking whatever takes my fancy. I have toyed with the idea of a dedicated NAS but never worked up enough enthusiasm to actually buy one. I started ripping my CDs years ago just in case, but I still greatly enjoy the joy of CD playback more.

I find the Squeezebox Touch covers all my needs, it's far and away the best thing for internet radio, and also Spotify (operated from my tablet). Also it was a capable, and pretty fast streamer when accessing my FLAC files too. Unfortunately they have long been discontinued and there is no longer support from Logitech for them which is a pity. However, until it packs in I'm quite happy with it.

I use the Yamaha app with an CRX-560D in the bedroom, and it is very stable and easy to use. I've had a Marantz MCR610 in the past and my experience is that Yamaha's app is much better.

On the topic of amplification, I'm now using an A-S501 in my main system with the YBA-11 bluetooth receiver. It sounds wonderful - very natural and so involving that I can't put 'just a couple of tracks' on as I end up listening to the whole album. I'm using it with Dynaudio DM2/6 speakers, Denon DCD720ae CD player, and Rega RP3 turntable and it is more than holding its own in that system. The YBA-11 works great too.

I've ended up with the A-S501 after reliability problems with a more expensive amp, and I have no inclination to go back. Yamaha have come up with an excellent product that provides real quality and value for money.

Looking forward to the first owner/user opinions on the Yamaha R N602
I have ordered one from Richersounds have been informed it should be with them by the end of the week, 30th Oct, will be interesting to read what a avforums say if they review this Network Receiver

Last edited:
Let us know what you think - It certainly seems like a good choice. A month of waiting is a long time!

I've been looking at alternative network players and while there's some very capable separates on the market, there's no 2 channel receivers that appear to come close to the feature set and potential quality of this at this price.

It's odd really, there's loads of AV receivers, but not much in the way of stereo kit with this capability. You'd think (or maybe hope) that the 2 channel stuff would be simpler and therefore cheaper but no, I assume it's economies of scale that make AV stuff less expensive these days.

Looking forward to the first owner/user opinions on the Yamaha R N602.

I have ordered one from Richersounds have been informed it should be with them by the end of the week, 30th Nov, will be interesting to read what a avforums say if they review this Network Receiver

Um... END OF THE WEEK? ...don't you mean end of next Month (30 Nov)?

Would really like to hear your impressions. Especially about the Smart Device App. How fast is it, how flexible is it, how many options and features does it have?

Eager to here what you think.

Steve/bluewizard

I stand corrected, lmao 30th Oct, It's an age thing lol
Yes I will give my feedback when I take possession of the R-N602 hoping it sounds as good as it looks

Mark me down as another very interested party. This unit ticks all the right boxes and I only hear good things about Yamaha equipment so I'm sure you will love yours.

Yamaha R-N602
SPECIFICATIONS:
Network section

• DLNA: Version 1.5
  • File Format: MP3, WMA, MPEG4 AAC, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, ALAC, DSD
  • Wi-Fi: Yes (with Wireless Direct)
  • AirPlay: Yes
  • Bluetooth: Yes (SBC/AAC)
Receiver / Integrated Amplifier

• Minimum RMS Output Power: 80W + 80W (8 ohms, 40 Hz-20 kHz, 0.04% THD)
  • Maximum Power (4 ohms, 1kHz, 0.7% THD, for Europe): 105 W + 105 W
  • Maximum Power(8 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD): 115 W + 115 W
  • High Dynamic Power/Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms): 105 / 125 / 150 / 178 W
  • Frequency Response: 0 ± 0.5 dB / 0 ± 1.0 dB
  • Total Harmonic Distortion (CD to Sp Out, 20 Hz-20 kHz): 0.015% (40 W / 8 ohms)
  • Signal-to-Noise Ratio (CD): 100 dB (Pure Direct on, 200 mV)
  • Audio In / Out: 9 / 2
  • USB Input: Yes
  • Sub-woofer Out: Yes
  • FM 50dB Quieting Sensitivity (IHF, 1 kHz, 100% Mod., Mono): 3 µV (20.8 dBf)
  • FM Signal-to-Noise Ratio (Mono/Stereo): 65 dB / 64 dB
  • ToP-ART: Yes
  • Standby Power Consumption: 0.1 W
  • Dimensions (W x H x D): 435 x 151 x 392 mm
  • Weight: 9.8 kg

It also has (more or less) One Button access to the following streaming services -

- vTuner - Internet Radio
- Pandora
- Rhapsody
- SiriusXM
- Spotify
- Napster
- Juke

In all honesty, I see Yamaha as ahead of the game in Stereo amps. These amps are what the consumer is demainding - DACs - Streaming - Bluetooth - and one button access to the most popular Streaming services.

I think eventually, most amp makers will have amps that come close to the Yamaha's in terms of features.

Steve/bluiewizard

I apologise for anyone waiting to hear my opinion on the RN602
Called to RS on Sat hoping to pick up the RN602 but was told it had not arrived, and they couldn't say for sure when it would be in, The guy in store convinced me this unit would not do justice for my speakers Dali Ikon 6 mk2,
So I took the plunge after demoing and got the Cambridge CXN Network player and the CXA80 Integrated Amplifier
I'm sure the RN602b will be an Awesome bit of kit, and I'm sure I would have enjoyed it, but I did not have the patients to wait, and feel my purchase will better serve my needs, as well as leave me broke for a while lol
Good luck with your choice.

What did the Cambridge CXN and CXA80 cost though?

Cambridge CXN Network Player = £700

Cambridge CXA80 integrated amp with DAC = £750

For £1450 it damn well better sound good.

Bearing in mind the Yamaha RN602 is about £450 at Richers.

You could have bought the Yamaha AS701 (100w/ch w/ DAC) for £480 and the CXN for £700 and the total would have been £1180.

Still, I have no doubt you will like the Cambridge CXA80 and the Cambridge CXN combination. But, it was nearly 3 times the cost of the Yamaha. Still ... nice system.

Steve/bluewizard

Richer Sounds pushing Cambridge Audio gear, there's a surprise!

Despite that though this new CX range certainly looks the part and has had nothing but high praise from what I've read. Enjoy.

Sales guy of the year right there, great bit of upselling. The Cambridge network player does look nice though, but it's a little out of my price range.

anyone know if you can set the sleep timer from the app on this? currently got the rn301 which cant do so through the app which means you still need to use the remote

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom