1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new Yamaha receivers, great buys?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gnikolaidis, Sep 9, 2005.

Tags:
  1. gnikolaidis

gnikolaidis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried to do a thorough comparison of the pros and cons of various AV receivers in the GBP 175-350 range. My main interest was to preserve future compatibility at a budget price. Comparing similar price offers by Denon, Pioneer and Yamaha I noticed that Yamaha is the only manufacturer offering video scaling from composite/s-vhs to component output, the specs saying able to process 1080i for future HD compatibility.

This is particular important since I can connect the component output of the receiver to the component input of my TV, one cable solution, having all other sources - including HD sources - hooked up to my receiver.

Is my perception correct about Yamaha's being the only models in the budget range to offer this convenience, or does anyone know of other brands with similar price range and characteristics?

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    The sony 795 does upconversion to s-video but is not as good obviously and i think most other current models from manufacturers are about the same in this price range. This will probably change with the 06 round of recives though.