New Yamaha R-N2000A Network/FM Receiver

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
I just recently stumbled across this in a Reddit discussion. Yamaha has introduced a High End Network Receiver -

Which is claimed to be somewhere between the S-A1200 and the S-A2200. I've not seen an official price, but there was speculation that it would be about £3500.

• YPAO™-R.S.C. and precision EQ for ideal listening environment
  • Toroidal power transformer for spacious sound filled with realism
  • ESS SABRE ES9026PRO Ultra DAC for ultimate high-performance conversion
  • Mechanical ground concept maximizes rigidity for expressive and rhythmic bass
  • Floating and balanced power amplifier and symmetrical construction
  • MusicCast networking system for audio enjoyment in every room and wide compatibility with music streaming services
  • High-performance USB DAC function supports DSD 11.2 MHz native playback and 384 kHz playback
  • HDMI ARC terminal for excellent TV sound
  • Gorgeous level meters convey dynamics and music pulse with a nostalgic Hi-Fi era look
  • Original speaker terminals cut from pure brass for highly secure connection
It is like the very high end version of the Yamaha R-N803.

Network Streaming, High Resolution ESS Sabre DACs, 2xOptical, Coaxial, USB, HDMI-ARC, Room Correction, Pre-Amp Out, Sub-Out, Phono In, 120w/ch to 8 ohms. etc...

Though I'm confused by the Power Ratings - 190w/ch to 4 ohms w/ 0.7% THD and 120w/ch to 8 ohms with 10% THD. Those don't seem up to the standard of an amp in this price range. The Owner's Manual is not yet available on-line yet, so I can't get more detailed specs.

Though elsewhere I did find this - [20-20 kHz 0.07 % THD] 90 W+90 W (8 ohms) 145 W + 145 W (4 ohms). That lowers the Power Rating, but 90w/ch is probably fine.

Since it has a Sub-Out I'm assuming it has Full Bass Management for the Sub and Front.

If anyone sees this advertised anywhere or sees a Suggest Price on it, I would certainly be interested.

There are several articles on-line about this amp if anyone wants to read further.

I do NOT see this amp listed on on Yamaha-USA's website. So perhaps it will be introduced in EU/UK first.

Any thoughts? Any further Info?

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Just had a good look at this.

What a fine beast.

The transformer and power supply caps are huge too.

A statement product of this kind from Yamaha is bound to be impressive imo.

And just about every function anyone could want.

I don’t know anything about the latest YPAO, but if it’s up to scratch and can get close to Dirac, say, then this will be a seller.

3rdignis

Looks good.

I assume it's boosting to extend bass brequency, I don't do that, I preserve headroom and cut less.

Khazul

Hmm....

It seems to be a 3 way child of the 1200, 801 and 803. I suspect power amp more in common with the 801, digital side from the 803 and panel, case maybe psu too more in common with the 1200/2200.

Personally I do not think YPAO-RSC is up to the job of music - I used to notice little phase-like oddities (that to be fair, I don't think most people would unless they had some reason to be attuned to such) back when I used my Yamaha AVR for music.

The problem for this is it is going to be up against some very solid Dirac based systems and even Room perfect too (3400).

I have no doubt it will be good, but at the likely price? I am not sure. Yamaha seem to be pricing themselves out of the 1k-2k price bracket with the huge price hikes of the 1200/2200 relative to the previous models and I suspect the same for this.

Based on my 2100, then the build quality is excellent compared to many is this price bracket. The sound is really excellent, but I do not think this shares that much - maybe some aspects of the pre-amp design from the 1100/1200, but from reading their description, I suspect more in common with the 801 in the more expensive case styling and build of the 1200/2200 etc. The streamer + processing seems to be basically an 803 updated with more powerful DSP allowing the RSC variant. The DAC is OK, but maybe I would expect something that seemed a bit more special for this. And no MQA which might be a deal breaker for some who use Tidal or at the very least something that most high end competition seems to have.

It seems like something they could have released from 2017 onwards, never mind in 2022. Looks wise, build quality wise etc - I have always thought these higher end amps where excellent. Just wonder if the DRC processed sound will stack up.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom