Question New Yamaha multi room home cinema setup – Advice required

atkins14

Standard Member
So I am waiting to get the keys to my new place and want to get my AV system set up properly. I am looking if anyone can point me in the right direction to get a multi room setup.

My intentions are to get the signal to my bedroom from the living room.

My current living room equipment list as follows:

- Yamaha RX-A1030

- Samsung 55” 4K TV

- PS3

- Sky + Box

- Apple TV

- Dali Zensor 5.1 System

- Media Centre PC

I have been playing around with the HDMI Out 2 onto another monitor which seems to work fine with a direct HDMI cable.

However I intent to get a 4K tv for my bedroom, but I have a feeling the cable length would be over 10m and therefore it wouldn’t be able to transmit 4K over that length.

I have been looking at HDMI over CAT 6, so if anyone has any suggestions or links to a product that would enable 4K media to be transmitted?

I will also run some Zone 2 stereo speakers to the bedroom.

My next issue is getting the remote signal to work from the bedroom. I know there are IR in/out ports on the back of the Yamaha Receiver, does anyone recommend any that is suitable for the Yamaha or is there a better solution I am missing out on?

I understand most those devices can be smartphone app controlled, but I guess the most used controller would be the sky + one.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Pete

dante01

Distinguished Member
Your receiver isn't UHD capable or HDCP 2.2 compliant any way so you'd not be able to passthrough native UHD 4K content anyway. You can passthrough 1080p content to a second HDMI zone though and the 4K TV would accept this. The TV would scale it to fit its panel without you having to use the receiver to scale it. The AV receiver scaling abilities cannot be used while its second HDMI output is configured as a second HDMI zone output anyway.

You'd be advised to use HDBaseT over cat6 if wanting to convey an HDMI signal over distances greater than 10m. If wishing to convey UHD 4K content over such a distance then you'd be looking at using HDMI over fibre optic.

I'd maybe suggest you invest in a LOgitech Harmony Ultimate or similar with the inclusion of the Harmony Hub. THis should enable you to be able to control any and every device in your main room via either the Harmony handset or the Harmony app on a iOS or Android device while located in the second room. You receiver can also be controlled via Yamaha's own proprietary control app running on an iOS or Android device.

atkins14

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply!

I was always under the impression that the receiver supported UHD/4K, I have been trying to read up more about it, and I have also seen other posts you have put regarding this. I understand it isn’t HDCP 2.2. compliant.

Primarily it is my desktop PC that is connected to the receiver, that seems to display a resolution of 3840 x 2160 or 4096 x 2160 when outputted to my TV, I tend to shoot video in 4K so that’s all the 4K content I really display on the TV, so I am just a little confused by you saying the receiver isn’t UHD capable?

HDBaseT looks good, I had also previously considered the HDMI over fibre optic, I guess I am just looking for the most cost-effective solution.

I do already use Yamaha AV controller app on both my iPad and iPhone every so often, but the Logitech harmony looks like it could be a nice alternative solution as well.

dante01

Distinguished Member
UHD is a set of standards regarding the encoding and wider colour space associated with commercial UHD 4K content. One requirement for such content is HDCP 2.2 compliance. This copyright protection system would not be applicable to home grown 4K content though as wouldn;t some of the other elements associated with commercial UHD content. You would however still be restricted by the bandwidth required to convey 4K and would probably still need HDMI over fibre to do so over longer distances. Also note that the receivers own video scaling is disable if configuring the second HDMI output as a dedicated second HDMI zone output.

atkins14

Standard Member
Sure I understand. I guess I won't be too concerned at getting 4K content to the secondary HDMI output as my main use will be having the Sky + which is only HD anyway.

I am not entirely sure if the distance will be over 10m yet, I am planning on viewing the property again shortly so will try and get a better idea, but just trying to have a suitable solution if it is just over 10m.

I did stumble across this product that seems like it could be suitable for my needs?

4k HDMI Over CAT5 Extender HD-BaseT with IR Control

dante01

Distinguished Member
Sure I understand. I guess I won't be too concerned at getting 4K content to the secondary HDMI output as my main use will be having the Sky + which is only HD anyway.

I am not entirely sure if the distance will be over 10m yet, I am planning on viewing the property again shortly so will try and get a better idea, but just trying to have a suitable solution if it is just over 10m.

I did stumble across this product that seems like it could be suitable for my needs?

4k HDMI Over CAT5 Extender HD-BaseT with IR Control

There are HDBaseT extenders for less:
Neet® HDBaseT Extender 4Kx2K Ultra HD Over Single Cat5e: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom