1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Yamaha AZ1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by common, Oct 5, 2001.

Tags:
  1. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    :eek: UGLY :eek:

Cheers for the info though ...

3. Tim Ingman

Tim Ingman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any idea about price?

4. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    looking at the remote about .....£150 !

5. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, that's an ugly mother sure enough!

6. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is the b*stard son of a 1970s Technics amp and a Yamaha AX1!!!!

7. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Originally from the wonderful Granite City, Aberde
    Ratings:
    +1
    To think that I thought my gold Denon AVC-A1SE was ugly! It's now only the second ugliest amp on the market! :rolleyes:

Regards

Jim :D

8. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Is the fact that a mainstream big boy firm like Yamaha, 'not' including the full 7 channels, indicate that they deem it to be saturation point for what a domestic room will accept in the way of speakers? Have we reached the end?? :)

9. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i thought the denon was fairly gifted in the aesthetics dept.

but that yammy is one ugly mutha.

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yamaha have a fine tradition of rewriting the rule book with every iteration of their flagship amplifier. In 2002 they will eschew mind bogglingly long feature lists and stratospheric technical specifications. This time they mean business. The 'My Amp Is Uglier Than A Camels A*se' award is theirs for the taking, and no f**ckers gonna spoil the party.

11. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just from a personal point of view I find the AVC-A1SE ugly compared to others in the Denon range of a/v amps. The display is too small (and actually far too small full stop!) compared to rest of the front and this is exaggerated by the large, bland drop-down flap which conceals the extra buttons. To my eyes the AVC-A10SE for example looks much better proportioned as it has no such flap. It's like a car with high sides and small windows. It sounds OK even though it looks like somebody with duct tape over his/her mouth or with a Desperate Dan chin. (I've never seen it eat Cow Pie though! Anybody else old enough to know what I'm speaking about??)

Do others regard the AVC-A1SE as a thing of beauty? Am I alone in thinking that even my Sony 930 looks much more aesthetically pleasing?

Regards

12. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    very odd, i have a yammy a2 if you want to swap.

i just thought the a1 se was well proportioned and well finished. The fascia is uncluttered, whilst being broken up and thus not too bland. IN saying that, i preffered the less obvious opening of the a1D of old, which was very beautiful.

i dont want to offend, although i dont know how i can avoid it, so sorry if it does, but i find the sony 930 rather ugly, too functional. Whilst i like minimalism, a little styling does not go amiss and thus ts i dislike the flat face of the 930, although the front falp appears to be a little more discreet (opening wise ) than the denon.

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think we're veering too far off the beaten track here. This thread is for taking the pi*s out of the AZ1's Russian Shot Putter design aesthetics.

Fortunately, the A1SE is excluded from comparison with the AZ1's butt ugliness by the fact that the Denon has the biggest balls on the block, it doesn't hide behind a limited set of features and has enough power to laugh in the face of a 3 bar electric fire.

It is the Charles Bronson of amps and therefore commands a terrible beauty all of its own.

14. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Reiner said the new Yamaha was UGLY, as a reply to the original post and I just agreed with his view. I said I thought my Denon AVC-A1SE was ugly too. I didn't say there was anything else wrong with it. It doesn't seem that far off track to me!

No offence taken Mr Brevis but I have to live with the slab fronted thing. ;)

Regards

PS I also think that a Jaguar XK8 is ugly whereas the new Aston Martin Vanquish is a work of art (from the front/side anyway!). Again, just my opinion.

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: Jim Robson ]

15. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have to disagree with the motoring front as well, vanquish aint that pretty, xk8 is prettier, as is the vantage le mans, although the rear end looks a tad japanese, the rear quarter window in particular and where it meets the body.

16. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Edsel was the prettiest car that Ford ever made and the Corvair was the best handling one that Chevrolet manufactured.

Regards

17. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Before this gets out of hand back to the topic :D :

I think the AVC-A1SE looks nice, and I do like the panel, too. Okay, so I don't like the remote (I never liked any Denon remote), but that's about all I would have to critisize.

Hey, that's a new topic for a voting thread:

1. Name the prettiest AV amp
    2. Name the ugliest AV amp

PS: The questions are only a joke ... :)

[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: Reiner ]

18. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jim,

From what I can remember, the Edsel had a front grille that looked like a fanny (check out Peggy Sue Got Married with Kathleen Turner) and the Corvair's fuel tank would explode if you farted whilst driving (check out Kentucky Fried Movie), both supreme examples of utterly crap design masquerading as legitimate consumer products.

Therefore their inclusion in this thread is entirely justified as the AZ1 is the consumer electronics genetic descendant of both.

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My mistake, was it the Ford Pinto that exploded if you sneezed?

20. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys! At last I've found some folk who agree with me, on something, at least. The Ford Edsel was an unmitigated disater and flopped due to its ugliness. (Please note that a US 'fanny' is different from a UK 'fanny'!) The Corvair had nightmare handling (with it's rear engine and swing axles) and would indeed roll over at the drop of a hat. I think the most famous pyrotechnic Ford was actually the Pinto, which would burst into flames if rear-ended even at modest speed and cost Ford millions of $$$$$$ in claims for hundreds of cremated passengers.

Regards

PS As Reiner suggested, it might actually create some interest to vote on ugly/beautiful kit. I have black B&W 605 S2 Mains, LCR6 S2 Centre and 603 S2's (x4) as centre/rear surrounds. My opinion is that they are ugly square speakers that look like mini coffins. With the AVC-A1SE they sound OK though. Looks aren't everything as they say. Any others care to comment although I suppose the speakers should appear in the correct area of the BB? :cool:

[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: Jim Robson ]

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah but Jim, when you take the covers off the B&W's they turn into the loudspeakers of the Gods. When these speakers first appeared with their yellow woven kevlar cones they were the dogs boll*cks. OK, so looks are next to meaningless when it comes to sound, but so what, a pair of naked B&W's could even make you popular with the ladeeez!

22. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The covers are off and the yellow kevlar mid-range cones are indeed their only saving grace. At least the LCR6 S2 centre looks interesting; very owl-like with its unblinking yellow eyes.

....................but we digress! Back to the ugly new Yamaha AZ-1! :rolleyes:

Regards

[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: Jim Robson ]

23. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Just checked out the link for the new yammy. Now i know where the bloke who put all the square corners on Volvo's has gone to work since they went curvy. :D

Ian
    ian@miniholics.co.uk

24. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lads,

The automotive analogy is still righteous.

Remember when Ford unleashed the Sierra on an unsuspecting public? The design was jelly mould to say the least but incredibly it eventually gained acceptance with ex-Cortina owners and became a big seller.

Fast Forward to the Granada/Scorpio p*ss take, here was a car that looked like there was a giant fat *rse glued to the boot lid. Luckily it didn't gain much favour with management types and, according to Top Gear, sold the grand total of 1 last year.

Yamaha have a loaded gun in the form of the AZ1, if we're not careful everyone else will follow suit and we'll have to get used to people asking why theres a microwave sat under the dvd player.

25. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Well..........I quite like it.
    It's only been squished in from the sides so may look odd.
    Am I open to a broadside now? :)

26. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sound! SOUND!!

Whats sound got to do with it? This is a serious discussion about the AZ1's likeness to a packet of Benson & Hedges with elephantitis. Please take your idle whimsy elsewhere sir. ;)

27. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

if you cant be bothered shaping a fascia properly, make it one big flat brushed aluminium blanking plate, rotel power amp stylie so it can be hidden when not in use.

the designer of this monstrosity should be shot. granted you are buying it for the sound, but at this size it's gonna be a bit of the furniture.