<new yamaha AVRX-A870

barbegame

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello!
Is there anyone who bought this Yamaha?
I am very surprised by the quality of the Volume set up.
When i hear some symphonie and it comes to low sound, I hear near nothing and if I get up with the volume button and the recording gives more sound, I have to quickly put the volume button down because it's very too high...
I don't understand. But I ask myself, it's not appropriate to use a 7.1 with only two HP.
This "malfunction" didn't appear with my old stéréo installation.
Other than that, this device is good with an integrated BB dac 24/192! I would have prefered the Sabre but it costs fast double than this one...

P.S. Is it possible that this variability with the volume relates to the integrated amplifier?

Did you run the YPAO calibration and what was the point at which the master volume resulted in you being satisfied by the output level?

Hello Dante!
I made the calibration and found it is possible to do it manually too. So I made my set up with 2.0 ch which is, by the way, exactly what I have in reality.
For the master volume, sure it depends on the sources for one, but I would say mainly I set it up to minus 14 db.

Sorry, I cannot comment on whether -14db is loud or not unless you actually either ran the YPAO calibration or levelled the speakers to a specific reference db using an SPL meter. If did use an SPL meter then what reference level did you use to level the speakers in conjunction with?

The master volume is relative to a set reference measured from your listening position. If not calibrated relative to you location and if the levels remain at their default then it is very unlikely that these will be correct for where you are sat.

It may simply be a case of the levels being lower than you'd ordinarily have them relative to your distance from the speakers?

I don't have a SPL. I found one spl application for free but doesn't it worth it? I mean, this receiver has to be calibrated "par default" by the manufacturer. So, I think my problem is one of accustomization to an AVR, because it's my first one. Before that, I used a stereo amplifier and the master volume was not so sensible to set up than with the AVR. And I am asking myself if the sound balance with an AVR is not the best when the device is calibrated for what it is defined, that's for 7.2 channels. Yes, stereo is possible too... But, if my set up were 7.2, would I too encounter some volume challenge?

The default levels are not correct relative to your seated listening position within your room.

I'd suggest you use the supplied calibration mic and run the YPAO calibration.

Other than this, if not loud enough then turn the volume up. I've no idea of the actual level your are experiencing unless you calibrate the receiver and correctly level the speakers.

Ok.
Thanks!
Maybe i will buy a SPL and level the speakers. I didn't know this processus before you said it.
The default levels are not correct relative to your seated listening position within your room.

I'd suggest you use the supplied calibration mic and run the YPAO calibration.

Other than this, if not loud enough then turn the volume up. I've no idea of the actual level your are experiencing unless you calibrate the receiver and correctly level the speakers.

Simply use the mic that cam with the receiver.

Thanks Dante for your interest!
I did the YPAO thing, but it's not the problem.
I have an example yet : I hear miles davis on France Musique 1)Stream from my pc and 2)Stream from TV box. With 1) the volume is minus 40 db and 2) minus 5 for the same volume sound (by my ears).
One difference of 35 db is enourmous, and I have to predict this difference when I switch my source! I don't want harm my ears and my neighbours!
Ultimately it's not the device which is responsible but my different sources! (pc, tv box, cd....).
Mainly my pc : the mainboard has not a very good audio chip...
Thanks for the help!

I'd not expect -40db to be particularly loud if using a calibrated receiver. Try increasing your operational volume to -20ddb and see how that sounds?

You can adjust the trim and gain of individual sources using the OPTION --> INPUT SETTINGS --> INPUT TRIM setting.

Last edited:
Yes, I tried that : I can minus 6db or + 6db. That makes not so great a jump of volume than when I am switching the source...In this example from tv box to pc.
But that's ok.

Anyone got this amp setup to a epson 9300 projector? Or does anyone know if you can turn off video upscaling as the 4k enhancement setting on the projector is greyed out and Ive been informed it is because it is already getting a 4k signal. However I want the projector to deal with this but I dont seem to find any setting on the amp to turn off any video upscaling. Got sky q and xbox one s connected to the amp. Which are set to output 4k. Im a bit of a noob to all this so just wondering if there is anything on this amp that couldve causing this.

Anyone got this amp setup to a epson 9300 projector? Or does anyone know if you can turn off video upscaling as the 4k enhancement setting on the projector is greyed out and Ive been informed it is because it is already getting a 4k signal. However I want the projector to deal with this but I dont seem to find any setting on the amp to turn off any video upscaling. Got sky q and xbox one s connected to the amp. Which are set to output 4k. Im a bit of a noob to a ll this so just wondering if there is anything on this amp that couldve causing this.

Go into the receiver's setting and th the setting labelled VIDEO. Set this to DIRECT. The receiver will not then apply any scaling or processing to the video signal.

You can also access this same setting via the OPTION menu using the VIDEO PROCESSING option.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom