New Xbox360 problem. Sticky Drive!

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Well, until now I've been feeling lucky that I haven't as yet had any problems with my 360(as there seem to be plenty around). Until just now....

Went to open the drive to put a disk in, drive opened fine but went to close it and got nothing happened. I get a noise which would be best described as an old car trying to start with a flat battery:eek:

Anyway, managed to get the drive closed by pushing the draw at the same time as the close button, but now it does the same thing every time I open it:rolleyes:

This is gonna be a big problem for me as being out here in Argentina with a PAL 360, I haven't really got anywhere to return it. If I'm correct it would have to go back to either Germany or England:(

:censored: :censored: :censored:

Anyone else had this problem, is there any way to get it repaired without sending the thing back? I have a Hitachi drive in mine by the way.

RidleyDeckard

Haven't come across the problem myself, but the only vague solution I can think of if it really dies is to ship it back over here to the UK to one of us (did it come from here?), we'll then ship it back to you once it's repaired.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
filmfreak71 said:
Haven't come across the problem myself, but the only vague solution I can think of if it really dies is to ship it back over here to the UK to one of us (did it come from here?), we'll then ship it back to you once it's repaired.
Yeah, I bought it from the UK before I moved out here. I would prefer to get it repaired here by a computer shop if possible, although that would of course mean voiding my warrenty:rolleyes: It scares me to death the thought of sending my 360 back to Europe, and I guess I could get caught with import tax when it gets shipped back.

Think I'm going to put up with it for now before I decide what to do.

Thanks for the idea, although that'd be alot to ask anyone really.

It's times like this you appreicate consoles like the Gamecube, the Nintendo consoles always seem so indestructable.

DarkEntity

If it only happens when closing the tray, i would say there is a lump of grit, dirt on the gear mechanism that closes the tray. a simple thing to fix if thats what it is.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
DarkEntity said:
If it only happens when closing the tray, i would say there is a lump of grit, dirt on the gear mechanism that closes the tray. a simple thing to fix if thats what it is.
That could make sense, we've had decorators in the last few days as the flat had to be re-tiled. The flat has been full of dust while they've been working so perhaps that's the cause. So how do you think I could go about getting it out of there if that's what is is?

A can of spray air perhaps(think you can get those from the likes of ebay)?

They weren't actually working near to the consoles by the way so if that is the problem, it could only be a build up of dust rather than grit.

DarkEntity

could be dust on oil/grease...happened to my old PS2, had to take the lid off and poke about until i removed a little lump of goo from the gearing.

Andy3

Banned
I think my first approach would be to remove any CD first, turn the 360 upside-down and tap it and see if anything falls out! See if anything rattles around if you tilt it etc.

RandomLee

Distinguished Member
I certainly wouldn't open the console.

Get a can or spray air and try that 1st. You get loads on eBay if you search for "compressed air".

Also, a call to MS wouldnt hurt to at least see what they suggest.

Hope you manage to get it sorted :)

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the suggestions, and for the PM RandomLee, might give that a go.

Gave all the air holes a suck with the hoover just now incase by chance it managed to dislodge anything. Gonna swith the 360 on in a min and try my luck. [EDIT] It didn't [EDIT]

kasumi

Novice Member
Peeps on here have had a NTSC console and called MS and received a PAL version in return, which meant some games needing changing.

This might be the case in reverse in Argentina if it's NTSC standard there.
You might have to change/swap/sell & re-buy some games but ultimately get the console repaired free & still under warranty.

A thought anyway. Hope you get it sorted.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
kasumi said:
Peeps on here have had a NTSC console and called MS and received a PAL version in return, which meant some games needing changing.

This might be the case in reverse in Argentina if it's NTSC standard there.
You might have to change/swap/sell & re-buy some games but ultimately get the console repaired free & still under warranty.

A thought anyway. Hope you get it sorted.
Hmm, that's yet another thought, yes, it is NTSC here.
Seriously though, with the trouble it could cause trying to send the thing back, I think I might just stick with having to give the drawer a little push each time I insert a disk. Bit of a pain but in my sitaution I think that's the best option all round at the moment.

I could always resort to playing hard drive games only, haha, ie. Zuma :eek:

RandomLee

Distinguished Member
I know I said dont open it.... but as a last resort, another option would be to get the drive fixed by a local computer store (therby voiding yor warranty) and then put in some better fans to provide increased airflow and cool it down a lot more. At least then it's less likely to die from any of the normal problems.

There seems to be a good few after market 360 (internal) fans available now too. Check xbox-scene.com and it's forums for details on those. The 360 case modding section is your best bet.

I would still give MS a ring though...worst they can say is they wont give you a PAL one back, then you can make you decision about what to do next...

Also try the eBay air 1st.

Best of luck mate :)

EDIT, forgot the word "wont"

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Thanks again RandomLee, will bear those thoughts in mind. Definatly going to give that ebay spray air a try first of all. Just need to wait a few days so it goes onto the next months credit card, the cards taken a bit of a hammering this month & I don't have much income going into my UK bank;)

C225

I would give the microsoft in your area and explain the situation that you have a PAL 360 as you bought it in britain and then moved to argentina and if they could fix your one and make sure you get your PAl one back and not a replacement console which would be a NTSC one.
I mean its worth a try whats the worst they could say:rolleyes: .

cedmondson

If you stand the 360 vertically & remove the faceplate you can see the rack & pinion mechanism on the underside of the CD drawer. Have a look - you might get a better idea of what's going on and whether it's likely to be fixable on a DIY basis.