New XBox Series X is incompatible w-most AV Receiver pass thru's. Does anyone have a list of Atmos Receivers that DO WORK with new XBox Series X?

EdisonsChildren

Novice Member
Reaction score
The XBox Series X is having a tremendous issue with Denon Marantz and Yamaha if you haven't heard. This is a problem for most of us as even if you aren't a gamer, as the Series X has so many great 4k functionalities including 4k streaming of Netflix etc and an excellent 4k BluRay (and a decent 4k BluRay costs about the same as the Xbox Series X so it's like getting the gaming functionality free). The XBox Series X was made to work flawlessly with Atmos and Dolby Vision and HDR 10+. The new PS5 does not.

The 2.1 HDMI input however apparently isn't working with XBox new Series X and many AV Receivers. The problem is on the AV Receivers end and not on the Xbox End.

Forbes article on the AV Receiver Bug

Have a Samsung Q70 & Jamo Atmos speakers (including the height speakers) but no receiver as nothing seems to be compatible with the new Xbox Series X without having to rewire everything through the eARC

If anyone knows which AV Receiver models do not have the faulty Panasonic 2.1 chipset (which will make your screen go black) please let me know.

So far these receivers are considered incompatible with the new XBox Series X
" Affected receivers include the Marantz SR range (SR5015, SR6015, SR7015 and SR8015), Denon X-series range (AVR-X2700H, AVC-X3700H, AVC-X4700H, AVC-X6700H) and Yamaha RX-V4A and RX-V6A. If you have one of these, you may well be in for a surprise when your Xbox arrives, so make sure to bear this news in mind. "

from Tom's guide who has the latest info as of late October.

So question again. Does anyone have a list of high quality 4k pass through 120 fps 7.2 Atmos / DTS:X AV receivers that actually do work with the new XBox Series X (under $1000)? can't seem to find that list anywhere!

All current HDMI version 2.1 AV amps and receivers are effected. No manufacturer apart from Denon, Marantz and Yamaha have announced or launched HDMI version 2.1 equipped AV amps or receivers.

You'd need a receiver that is HDMI version 2.1 compliant in order to have the ability to passthrough 8K/60 or 4K/120 encoded video, be this compressed or uncompressed. The issue isn't technically a bug and is a hardware issue associated with the HDMI version 2.1 chipsets made by Nuvoto that are used onboard the Denon, Marantz and Yamaha HDMI version 2.1 AV amps and receivers. This issues prevents these models from passing through uncompressed 4K/120.

There are other threads relating to this issue.

Last edited:
Dante
All current HDMI version 2.1 AV amps and receivers are effected. No manufacturer apart from Denon, Marantz and Yamaha have announced or launched HDMI version 2.1 equipped AV amps or receivers.

You'd need a receiver that is HDMI version 2.1 compliant in order to have the ability to passthrough 8K/60 or 4K/120 encoded video, be this compressed or uncompressed. The issue isn't technically a bug and is a hardware issue associated with the HDMI version 2.1 chipsets made by Nuvoto that are used onboard the Denon, Marantz and Yamaha HDMI version 2.1 AV amps and receivers. This issues prevents these models from passing through uncompressed 4K/120.

There are other threads relating to this issue.

That is a bit of a deal breaker then. Who is HDMI 2.1 compliant that is also a good quality manufacturer? Is Onkyo not using the Panasonic/Nuvoto 2.1 chipset?

As said, only Marantz, Denon and Yamaha have launched any HDMI version 2.1 AV receivers. Most of the other manufacturers have neither announced nor introduced such models.

As things stand right now, you are limited to the new Denon, Marantz and Yamaha models if wanting a more affordable AV receiver or amp option that is HDMI version 2.1 compliant. There is however Anthem, butr the newly announced Anthem receivers will require you to spend quite a bit more and are as yet not confirmed as being absent of the problematic chipset:

Last edited:
Presumably if you've got an older amp that doesn't attempt to do 8K/60 or 4K/120, there won't be any problem with anything else?

No, you'd simply be limited to the video that receiver can handle if passing the source's video through it. It is suggested that those with a new series X XBox connect their consoles directly to a compliant TV if wanting to access video that their AV receiver cannot handle. You'd then use eARC to convey the associated audio from said display to an eARC compliant AV receiver. You'd need the older AV receiver to be eARC enabled to be able to gain the most from such a setup thopugh. If likited to conventional ARC then you may need to compromise on the types of audio you can access.

Anthem are HDMI 2.0. There are no receiver wihch yet work with 4K/120 / 8K/60 passthrough. You should look into EARC instead.

Anthem are HDMI 2.0. There are no receiver wihch yet work with 4K/120 / 8K/60 passthrough. You should look into EARC instead.

Anthem’s new AVM pre-amps/processors and MRX AV receivers will all be upgradable to carry at least one full-spec (up to at least 40Gbps specification) HDMI v2.1 ports. Which should mean they’re capable of handling such next-gen gaming-friendly features as 8K feeds, 4K at 120Hz, variable refresh rate gaming, and automatic low latency mode switching.

Unlike the other new gaming-friendly AV receivers and processors announced so far this year, though, Anthem is confident that since it uses a different HDMI chipset, its new models will not be affected by the same HDMI 2.1 bug that’s currently preventing Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AVRs from passing 4K/120Hz HDR signals through to suitably highly specified displays.

The HDMI 2.1 compliance will be fascilitated via an upgrade and isn't as yet implemented though.

The XBox Series X is having a tremendous issue with Denon Marantz and Yamaha if you haven't heard. This is a problem for most of us as even if you aren't a gamer, as the Series X has so many great 4k functionalities including 4k streaming of Netflix etc and an excellent 4k BluRay (and a decent 4k BluRay costs about the same as the Xbox Series X so it's like getting the gaming functionality free). The XBox Series X was made to work flawlessly with Atmos and Dolby Vision and HDR 10+. The new PS5 does not.

The 2.1 HDMI input however apparently isn't working with XBox new Series X and many AV Receivers. The problem is on the AV Receivers end and not on the Xbox End.

Forbes article on the AV Receiver Bug

Have a Samsung Q70 & Jamo Atmos speakers (including the height speakers) but no receiver as nothing seems to be compatible with the new Xbox Series X without having to rewire everything through the eARC

If anyone knows which AV Receiver models do not have the faulty Panasonic 2.1 chipset (which will make your screen go black) please let me know.

So far these receivers are considered incompatible with the new XBox Series X
" Affected receivers include the Marantz SR range (SR5015, SR6015, SR7015 and SR8015), Denon X-series range (AVR-X2700H, AVC-X3700H, AVC-X4700H, AVC-X6700H) and Yamaha RX-V4A and RX-V6A. If you have one of these, you may well be in for a surprise when your Xbox arrives, so make sure to bear this news in mind. "

from Tom's guide who has the latest info as of late October.

So question again. Does anyone have a list of high quality 4k pass through 120 fps 7.2 Atmos / DTS:X AV receivers that actually do work with the new XBox Series X (under $1000)? can't seem to find that list anywhere!
Can confirm this is still a nightmare, I posted earlier on another thread about this issue on an RX V4A with Q70 TV. It has loads of issues ranging from black screen, to outputting in 640x480, as well as not letting anything else play nicely with the RX V4A and Q70 in any resolution.

On that particular TV the HDMI 2.1 is port 4 as opposed to the ARC , so even with a pair of 2.1 compliant cables it wouldn't work anyway. I tried it, and couldn't get a HDR output from my PS5 and Sky Q no matter what I did. So stuck it in port 3, my Xbox in port 4 on the TV and that seems to work. With CEC switched on, everything moves across automatically, so I've not had any remote control related faff yet.

To be honest the whole 120fps/4K thing on PS5 doesn't really matter anyway, you lose out on ray tracing and the fancy effects when you use it. So I'm not that bothered.

My Series X works quite happily connected to my Denon 2700.

I can quite happily get 4K 60Hz HDR output and 4K 120Hz output.

What I believe I can't get at the moment is 4K 120Hz HDR. To get that I believe I'd need to enable "8K Enhanced" mode on the Denon, which is where known issues would come into play.

I'm not massively bothered about 4K 120Hz HDR at the moment. I've never seen it so don't know what, if anything, I'm missing out on.

So for now, for me, the Series X, Denon 2700 combo is working faultlessly.

Bit expensive for most but it seems Lyngdorf are due to release their HDMI 2.1 upgrade soon which is using a completely different chipset so have high hopes that will work (No OSD though).

Bit expensive for most but it seems Lyngdorf are due to release their HDMI 2.1 upgrade soon which is using a completely different chipset so have high hopes that will work (No OSD though).
Great. Anyone want to buy a kidney?

What I believe I can't get at the moment is 4K 120Hz HDR. To get that I believe I'd need to enable "8K Enhanced" mode on the Denon, which is where known issues would come into play.

I'm not massively bothered about 4K 120Hz HDR at the moment. I've never seen it so don't know what, if anything, I'm missing out on.

You're not missing a whole lot, on PS5 you lose some graphical effects for 4K/120 like ray tracing, reflections, and in some games crowd density. Outside of that it only really makes a difference in some FPS and racing games, and even that seems negligible. Given the choice I'm more than happy with 60FPS, or even 30 in some games for a prettier picture.

But yeah, I just tried it again, and my RX v4A doesn't like the Xbox, so I'll reroute through ARC and still have the 120FPS option and VRR anyway.

SO, I have my Series x connected to my tv the LG CX and then eArc to my AVR Denon X3700H, I use my xbox one x connected directly to the avr for blu rays and streaming, but for games I play on the Series X.
My question is can I connect my Series X to the AVR so I do get the correct audio formats like atmos when available on certain games?

so as long as I dont use the 8k enhanced port, if I just plug the series x into the "game" hdmi port on the Denon it will work for 4k sixty games and 4k 120 no hdr?

What I want to know the most is am I missing out on the Atmos and other audio features by conncting my series x to the tv and using passthrough?
Will it get better if I connect it to the Denons game hdmi port?

You're not missing a whole lot, on PS5 you lose some graphical effects for 4K/120 like ray tracing, reflections, and in some games crowd density. Outside of that it only really makes a difference in some FPS and racing games, and even that seems negligible. Given the choice I'm more than happy with 60FPS, or even 30 in some games for a prettier picture.

But yeah, I just tried it again, and my RX v4A doesn't like the Xbox, so I'll reroute through ARC and still have the 120FPS option and VRR anyway.

no he’ll lose hdr at 120hz. Ray tracing, crowd density and reflections will be unaffected.

no he’ll lose hdr at 120hz. Ray tracing, crowd density and reflections will be unaffected.
Thanks for the information.
Last night I ran the Series X to the tvs eArc and my xbox one x to the avr, I was able to test the whole set up, I like the streaming and blu ray from the one x, but I was able to play my Series X last night I tried Gears 5 as it has been enhanced.
I was able to play it 4k 120 vrr hdr with Atmos and it was sublime, best gaming experience I have ever had, I dont even care about that game per say and third person shooters and monsters and zombies are not my thing, however the game was so incredibly rich with audio and video fidelity it was an absolute pleasure to play it, I am def goign to complete the game now after seeing it run like that.
I cant run it through my avr, But I dont need to to get the best out of it, so I guess it doesnt matter, I dont think I am missing out on anything with this set up.

lumper, do you get any audio delay from your xbox series x in that config? Most people that do it the way you did, including me, get a 200ms or so delay (some even more if they enable ATMOS up to 500ms-1000ms). It's frustrating to be told there's no AV receiver and just use eARC only to find out that when doing eARC there's audio delay and that it's been like that for years. :(

lumper, do you get any audio delay from your xbox series x in that config? Most people that do it the way you did, including me, get a 200ms or so delay (some even more if they enable ATMOS up to 500ms-1000ms). It's frustrating to be told there's no AV receiver and just use eARC only to find out that when doing eARC there's audio delay and that it's been like that for years. :(
I have not noticed any delay no.
Everything has been running very well.
I do plan to get the device that ships in 8 days on the 15th that supposedly fixes the issue anyway.
But as it is stands, when I run the Series X directly to my CX everything seems fine to me, I dont notice any delay or issues.

Last edited:
It should be noted the Sound United have announced that they will be making an adaptor available they can be used to negate the issues associated with trying to passthrough 4K 120Jz video output via an CBox Sries X. This adaptor is for the new Dnon and Marantz models with equipped with the defective HDMI version 2.1 chipset:

It should be noted the Sound United have announced that they will be making an adaptor available they can be used to negate the issues associated with trying to passthrough 4K 120Jz video output via an CBox Sries X. This adaptor is for the new Dnon and Marantz models with equipped with the defective HDMI version 2.1 chipset:

starts shipping in 8 days on May 15th.

starts shipping in 8 days on May 15th.

Sound United haven't indicated when the adaptor will be available outside of the USA.

Those interested in receiving SPK618 will need to:

Step 1: Go to www.denon.com/hdmiadapter for Denon.
Or go to www.marantz.com/hdmiadapter for Marantz.
Step 2: Fill out the form with the required information starting on May 15th, 2021.

Once received, users will need to update their AVR’s firmware to complete the process.

I'd expect the adaptors to start being dispatched to those who've asked for one at the end of May.

The form that you';ll be given access to on May 15th via the above links is valid for those living in the UK, Germany, the Netherlands and France. Customers in other countries will need to contact the retailer where they bought the product.

Last edited:
In looking for an upgrade to my: Denon AVR-X4300H so I can try to take advantage of the new Series X capabilities. While it works right now the Xbox I beleive dislikes this receiver when used as a pass thru I get multiple red x's on the setup for 4k of any kind minus the most basic functions.

I just want to confirm that the only choice I have right now is to purchase a unit like the Denon AVR-X4700H but then immediately need to order the new adapter box.

But that said and per the attached screenshot - It seems the 4300 supports 4K UHD at 60. But fails to support 120, does not support HDR10, thus no HDR support - no Dolby Vision at 4K 60 or 120

Am I understanding that this 4300 will not ever give me 4K HDR and my only option is upgrade and get the new adapter to support all of these and get the full options out of the Series X.

The TV is the XBR-65X930D - https://www.sony.com/electronics/su...s-lcd-tvs-android-/xbr-65x930d/specifications

While I am clearly no AV expert I think this TV should support all these new features. I guess I am looking for confirmation from someone else that has run up against this potential upgrade and if you might just be waiting or just gave up, upgraded and now are just going to get the adapter box.

Attachments

• 2021-05-09_083307.jpg
    2021-05-09_083307.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 201
In looking for an upgrade to my: Denon AVR-X4300H so I can try to take advantage of the new Series X capabilities. While it works right now the Xbox I beleive dislikes this receiver when used as a pass thru I get multiple red x's on the setup for 4k of any kind minus the most basic functions.

I just want to confirm that the only choice I have right now is to purchase a unit like the Denon AVR-X4700H but then immediately need to order the new adapter box.

But that said and per the attached screenshot - It seems the 4300 supports 4K UHD at 60. But fails to support 120, does not support HDR10, thus no HDR support - no Dolby Vision at 4K 60 or 120

Am I understanding that this 4300 will not ever give me 4K HDR and my only option is upgrade and get the new adapter to support all of these and get the full options out of the Series X.

The TV is the XBR-65X930D - https://www.sony.com/electronics/su...s-lcd-tvs-android-/xbr-65x930d/specifications

While I am clearly no AV expert I think this TV should support all these new features. I guess I am looking for confirmation from someone else that has run up against this potential upgrade and if you might just be waiting or just gave up, upgraded and now are just going to get the adapter box.
I use an X3700h and so for now, I run the Series x to my CX tv and all is good, I get all green checks in xbx settings.
in about a week Denon and Marantz will start shipping a device to fix the issue so you can plug your Series X into the avr instead of bypassing it in the tv and using passthrough.
Your Denon should be just fine for this,.
Im not sure about your exact model, but the new 8k models will al be affected from what I have read.

I think the new adapter does not cover the 3700 from what I can tell, unless i am missing something.

I do find it interesting that Denon's site for the new 6700 shows like there is nothing wrong with HDMI passthru

Attachments

• 2021-05-09_085819.jpg
    2021-05-09_085819.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 140

I think you mean HDT10+? The X4300 supports GDR10.

Also note that nothing includes HDR at 60 or 120fps other than games. This is very unlikely to ever change.

The AVRX4300 supports FDR10, Dolby Vision and HLG HDR.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom