1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New working with old

Discussion in 'TVs' started by wazza, Nov 28, 2002.

1. wazza

wazza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have some 6 year old kit which i haven't been able to set up till now; x5 mission 73's, a yamaha dsp a590 and a sony slv e70 video. I'd like to buy a rptv, possibly the tosh 42WT29, but the more I read the more concerned I am about compatibility between my old kit and a rptv. Is that the case and is the toshiba a good buy, I've seen it for £1299?

thanks

wazza

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Why would it not be 'compatible'?
    The speakers and amp don't come into the equation, just your VCR, which is like any other VHS vcr and you'll have noproblems.

To get the most out of the TV though, you're better off with a digital stb and/or DVD player which will give better picture and WS pictures.

3. wazza

wazza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kevo,

Partly I wasn't sure if the dolby system on my amp was compatible with the recordings on DVD's, when I get a DVD player of course? Also I wasn't sure if I wanted to risk some of the problems some people in the forum seem to encounter with rptv's, colour banding across the screen etc. I don't know whether to get a 36"?

Warren

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Not sure if the Tosh 42WT29 has built in DD 5.1, even if it does you'd be better off upgrading your amp to a DD/DTS one to get the FULL benefit from DVDs. The difference compared to pro-logic surround is HUGE!

You won't be dissapointed in the Tosh RPs. Make sure it's 100Hz whatever you get. But don't rush into it, take your time and shop around ( I took about 3 months to decide!) Don't forget 'Jan sales' are just around the corner.

Good luck

5. wazza

wazza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again, great idea about waiting for the January sales, I was keen to play with it over xmas, but I can wait if I can save afew quid or upgrade to a better TV.

ta

Wazza