New wireless N DSL cable router, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Soultech, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Soultech

Soultech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a new wireless router and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions.

It will be used with my Virgin media broadband so it has to be DSL. I'd also like it to be N-draft wireless(or has the final N spec come out?) As well as having a Gigabit switch. The two I was looking at were :
    Linksys by Cisco WRT610N Dual-Band Wireless-N Gigabit Cable Router with Storage Link - Ebuyer

and

NETGEAR RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Router WNDR3300 - Ebuyer

I've got a NAS so the usb ports on the Linksys doesn't really mean much to me but I notice the Linksys says it is MIMO where as the Netgear one doesn't state it but if it has multiple antennas does that mean its MIMO? Does MIMO make much of a difference?

But i'm willing to take recommendations of other routers but preferably they should be Linksys or Netgear because i'm not a particular fan of Buffalo or Belkin.

Thanks in advance.

2. t72bogie

t72bogie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    the Netgear one has many antennas inside, just dosent make a deal out of it as they are pretty standard requirement these days for a proper 802.11n device ;)

id go Netgear, but thats just a personal thing/habit - the user interface is nicer and the form factor ;)

3. bluepeter

bluepeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Sorry for this but I wouldn't buy any of those - did my usual research (painful but worth it), I wanted wireless N for my Lenovo Laptop, wired gigabyte for my Qnap TS 209ProII Nas & 4 wired home PCs running to a Netgear GB switch - got this D-Link DIR-655 Wireless N Gigabit Firewall Router: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo & get 280mb wireless connection to my laptop & a router thats shows how it should be done hard wired. (It's very clever @ managing 4 PCs to the NAS with priority settings & configurable to the enth degree)

By the way, I'm with VM cable to.

Regards
    Peter

4. t72bogie

t72bogie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    DIR 655 is about 18 months old now ...times move on ;)

a dual band jobbie will let you dedicate the 5GHZ radio for media streaming and the 2.4GHZ radio for internet/email ..and of course, generally with each generation of chipset the performance gets better ...DIR655 has a 2 year old Atheros wireless chipset - so yeah, it was a great choice when it launched, but is equalled/slightly bettered by entry level 802.11n routers now, with the very latest ones offering a lot more :smashin:

5. bluepeter

bluepeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Sorry but no - The original poster required GB lan, only the Linksys of the 2 he mentions offers that, and it falls down in other areas over the D-link. Even the latest draft-n D-link is struggling to gain the reputation the 655 has - Oh I'll agree there are better devices out there - but bare in mind what you'll need to pay. The D-Link 655 which can be had for as little as £85 is a real bargain & don't be drawn into the latest is always the greatest fad.

Regards
    Peter

6. Endolf

Endolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Times might move on, but tech doesn't always improve, sometimes just gets lower entry points. Check out smallnetbuilder.com and you'll see from their speed tests that the DIR-655 is faster than the other 2 that were mentioned. Ok, you won't get those speeds on your broadband, but for machine to machine internally, the faster the better.

HTH

Endolf

(No, I don't have have one ... yet, I have a crappy netgear RP614 that is screwing my 20mbit virgin up, hence I've been looking)