New wireless n connection streaming issues

CarpeDiemPW

Standard Member
I've just bought a new gaming rig and thought I'd splash out on a wireless n router (Sitecom 300N XR Gaming Router), as I was fed up of stuttering films whilst streaming from my laptop to my PS3. My broadband is with Sky so rather than incur their wrath and replace their router, I've set it to run in bridge mode to pass through to my new router. My PS3 is connected via WAN to the new router and I have a Linksys wireless N USB receiver upstairs (ordered the accompanying Sitecom one but it went out of stock and got sent this instead) where I can stream my films from. My connection between PC and router is currently 220mb - only getting a 70% signal despite being within 15 metres but still better than wireless G. Only problem is, when I know connect to the Windows media server, the stuttering is worse than ever? Is there something else I need to set? Will having the wireless enabled on the Sky router still cause a lot of interference? It's driving me potty!

Thanks if you can help!

t72bogie

bridge mode halves your bandwidth - wireless is a shared medium half duplex - imagine a walkie talkie radio versus a phone, so if you bridge it has to send the data one way then the other and vice versa

so if it says you have a 220Mbps connection (very good - you only get the full connection in the same room generally)

then 1/2 that as 802.11 is only 50% efficient at best as a protocol, so you have 100Mbps, then 1/2 that again because you are bridge, is 50Mbps - about 5-6MB/s

depending on what you are trying to stream that might not be enough Im afraid, especially with the high packet loss, the buffer in the client may not keep up :(

...sorry, thats just how it works, bridging a wireless connection is really a last resort, I certainly wouldnt be using it for trying to stream HD media on

If you cannot get a good signal from a single 802.11n router to the client in your home then you will have to try alternative methods, such as powerline adapters, or resort to running a cable

CarpeDiemPW

Standard Member
It's not that I can't get a good signal, it was more a case of just wanting to keep the sky router as a route out to the internet so I'm not in breach of their T's & C's. It's that router that;s in bridge mode, the wireless N router (that the PC and PS3 are connected to) is in full router mode. Is there a better way for me to work this then? Never daisy chained 2 routers like this, only access points! :rolleyes:

t72bogie

well if you just use one 802.11n router (replace the Sky one) then you effectively double your bandwidth versus wireless bridging.

Or connect a switch port on the Sky one to the WAN port on the other one, disable DHCp, firewall etc on the other one, just use the wireless - that should work better, as again you are removing the wireless bridged link

dosent matter whether you bridge access points or "routers" - same thing as far as the 802.11 protocol is concerned - you lose 1/2 your bandwidth, if you use the "repeater" mode you can go 2-3 hops between APs but you lose 1/2 each time

hence its not really a recommended solution, more of a last resort to get a wireless signal somewhere that you have no other options....for internet surfing its fine....for streaming media, full rate wireless barely cuts it :(

CarpeDiemPW

Standard Member
Thanks bogie. I'll change the settings when I get in from work later then and hopefully I'll get some better results! :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom