New wired doorbell - electrical help needed

AdrianMills

Hi,

I have a wired doorbell that stopped working. I had no idea if it was the transformer, button or bell itself so I bought everything new (the old ones are cheap ones installed by the house builder anyway and I'd planned to change them).

I got a spore wired button with light and a Honeywell series 3 wired doorbell.

First thing I did was exchange the old button for the new. Lo and behold, the light came on the button and the bell worked again - so, I know the transformer is fine as is the wiring.

Here's where I hit a snag. Tried to replace the bell. Can't get it to work with the button. There's power in there as the bell will chime if I change the sound but pressing the button does nothing.

Obviously I'm not wiring this correctly.

I've tried various combinations of wiring going by the wiring diagram with no success. Pretty sure it's me being stupid.

I've attached the circuit diagram that came with the new bell and picture of the old wiring (dot marked cables 1-4).

I'd really appreciate some input on this as it's driving me bonkers.

ImageUploadedByAVForums1453627899.944296.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1453627951.613267.jpg

its_all_Greek

Distinguished Member
I'm struggling to see how that diagram lines up with what you have got.

which cable goes to the switch and which to the transformer?

as martin says have you swapped the transformer yet?

AdrianMills

I'm struggling to see how that diagram lines up with what you have got.

which cable goes to the switch and which to the transformer?

as martin says have you swapped the transformer yet?
I've now idea which cable goes where - I hoped it would be obvious to an electrician.

its_all_Greek

Distinguished Member
2 identical cables disappearing out the back of the unit kinda makes it impossible from just a pic. any idea where they were connected before on the old unit in relation to your marks?

AdrianMills

2 identical cables disappearing out the back of the unit kinda makes it impossible from just a pic. any idea where they were connected before on the old unit in relation to your marks?
There is one picture with the new wiring diagram for the new bell.

The other picture is of the old bell wired as it was to begin with - I made sure I marked the cables and took the picture before I changed anything. So yes, the cables are identical but you see where they are connected which are marked T (ground?), F (fuse?) and ?

Sonic67

Banned
I think the picture on the left is if you using batteries - known as a bell in one. You aren't, you are using a transformer. So ignore the left hand picture. Also there seems to be the capacity to have two door bells, presumably you aren't doing that so ignore the "B" doorbell.

Sonic67

Banned
Ok give me a minute and I'll have this sussed.

AdrianMills

:)

Yes, the left side is for battery operation and the right for wired. The single cable shown from the bell is confusing as I have 2.

Sonic67

Banned
Ok think I have it.

This would be a lot easier if I was there so some of this is guesswork.

As I understand it your old bell is the Friedland one.

Your new one is the honeywell one.

You have two incoming cables to the Honeywell. One goes to the doorbell, which is going to be a simple make or break switch. The other is from the transformer and powers everything.

Wild shot in the dark but this is what I'm going with - it's not necessary to work out what is the cable from the transformer and what is the cable to the doorbell. It's all extra low voltage and either the power goes one way round or the other way round depending on whether the circuit is made or broken.

The two cables you have going to "1" on the Friedland I think are just joined there with the "1" acting as a connector block.

If my thinking is right you need to replicate that with your honeywell, twist these wires together and stick some tape over them for now or join them together in a connector block for your new installation.

Essentially what is happening here is power comes from the transformer, heads down a wire on the cable on the doorbell and if the doorbell is made then the power comes back down the other side. From there it goes to A1 on the honeywell. The other wire goes to AC1 on the honeywell.

Try that. It's all extra low voltage so unless you have a dodgy transformer passing mains voltage down it it all should be fine. Even so try and avoid shorts and turn off anyway.

Sonic67

Banned
Ok in short as I'm not sure how clear the above is but

Join your cables marked by you as 1 and 3 together. I can't see a provided common connection for this.

Other two cables go to A1 and AC1. Shouldn't matter which way round. I think it's too simple a thing for it to matter.

its_all_Greek

Distinguished Member
Ah ok the picture is of the old unit not the new one.

Not quite there Sonic

Cables marked 1 and 3 go in AC2.

Try 4 into AC1

Try 2 into A1

AdrianMills

Thanks guys.

Can't try at the mo as it's almost dark here and have stuff cooking too so throwing the breaker is not going to happen. ;)

Yes Sonic, that's right, the Friedland is the old one.

One of the various combinations I tried was 1 and 3 together into ac1 or 2 as that seemed to replicate the old setup - perhaps I messed up the others though. I will try it again tomorrow after work.

Thanks Sonic and Greek :) Your help is much appreciated.

its_all_Greek

Distinguished Member
You definitely need cables into AC1 and AC2. cables 1 and 3 definitely go together and will go into one of these, 2 or 4 into the other whichever comes from the transformer.
the remaining core will go into A1.

fit the new transformer as well!

AdrianMills

Yes! Got it to work finally!

1+3 into ac2. 2 into ac1 and 4 into a1 - when 2 and 4 were reversed it wouldn't stop.

Thanks for the help.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom