New (wife friendly) home cinema advice

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bcutts, Jan 2, 2003.

1. bcutts

bcutts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We've just moved house and my wife is very unhappy at the prospect of my hi-fi filling the room again with boxes.

At present it comprises:

Very old (MK 1 ) Bose Acoustimass 5 front speakers
    Jamo Centre 100 centre speaker
    JPW Mini Monitor rears

Sherwood R925RDS A/V amp
    Philips 930 DVD player

She has asked that we perhaps consider one of the 'home cinema in a box' solutions - but, yes you've guessed it, a cheapish one.

I've looked around and seen the following which sound OK in the shop but I'm worried about how they will sound in our 23 foot by 12 foot lounge. Anybody got any ideas how they would sound compared to my present system? Do you have any other suggestions?

Looking at:

Pioneer DSC303
    Pioneer NS-DV88
    Teac Reference 350 - cheap from Richer sounds but which speakers to use?
    Denon ADV1000 system - she's not sure about the optional speakers

Regards,

Brian

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The ruder members of this forum (not me, of course) might tell you that anything would sound better in your room than a set of old Bose Acoustimass speakers.

They would also tell you that if you are already using an oldish budget AV amp with naff speakers, a change to a modern all in one unit might even sound better.

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Try JVC TH-V75R.
    54Mhz Video, 6.1 DTS-ES, 6.1 DD-EX, DPL2, six aluminium satellite speakers with a grunty subwoofer.

Have a look at Sony DAVS-880 and Philips LX8000SA too.

4. bcutts

bcutts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take your points on old AV kit & Bose speakers. I must admit that they do tend to suffer from a lack of midrange projection.

I've seen the Sony system in a few shops - the wife not sure about the look of the speakers. I haven't come across the JVC system yet - is it available as a multi-region unit as I do have some region 1 & region 3 discs.

I also forgot to make a note on my original post that it would be nice if the system made a reasonable stab at playing std CDs.

Does this last point affect your recommendations?

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats your budget? Check out the Cyrus seperates. Top quality and very petite. I'm looking at them myself for the office. You could get the amp, pro and DVD which would take up less space than one AV reciever. Might cost a bit though and you would have to pair them with a sub/sat system.

S

6. bcutts

bcutts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Budget?... the wife would put it at £50 ;-) In reality it's probably aound £600.

7. rmsdev

rmsdev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pioneer HC 51 S

consist of DVD player + Receiver + speaker package

all for £ 400

and I am very happy with its performance

highly recommended

and you can always upgrade later on...

8. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently went for a Sony DAVs-550, upgrading from a 4 year old Yamaha AV amp with a 3 year old Tosh DVD player. My speakers were unmatched an a bit of a rag tag collection.

I am very happy with the Sony and my wife is a big fan of its elegant looks and tiny speakers. The sound is big - my room is 18 x 13 - and also sounds great with music CDs. I liked the JVC TH-V75R already suggested, but the Sony cliched it as it has component out and prog scan and looks wicked on my Panny plasma.

I think I'll eventually go back to seperates 18-24 months time), but the technology around Prog Scan, Recordable DVD etc is at one of those moments where everything needs to settle down before I leap in and start buying again.

Good luck and make sure you get good demos of the kit before you buy.

9. bcutts

bcutts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tips so far. As I have a day off today (Friday) I'm going to take a look at the JVC, Pioneer and Sony 550 systems as suggested armed with a couple of DVDs and a couple of my favourite CDs. Hopefully a local hi-fi dealer or electrical retailer will have the systems plugged in so that they can be tried out!!

10. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can recommend the Denon ADV-1000. Great picture/sound/style from DVDs and CDs. However, I went for separate Tannoy FX5.1 speaker package. The problem is that the total cost is way over £600. Even the player/amp will be well over £600 on its own unless you go for a net purchase. JL were selling for £800. I got it for about £650 from HifiBitz.

Good luck.

11. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes, go for separates if you can.

12. roped

roped

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would like
    opinion on pioneer dcs 303

13. bcutts

bcutts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went out and had a look at a few systems yesterday.

I wasn't too impressed with the Sony DAV550 system, the sound was ok but the pictures seemed a little soft when compared side by side on the same TV with a Pioneer and Yamaha system.

The Pioneer HC51 system seems difficult to find. I was quite impressed with the Pioneer NS-DV88 except that it sounded a little too laid back and the subwoofer seemed slightly boomy - bas wasn't well controlled.

I was quite impressed with a Yamaha DVX-S100 system at £650 (slightly over budget). It sounded clear with well defined bass and the pictures were cracking. Anybody come across this one?

14. rmsdev

rmsdev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try dixons in bluewater for pioneer HC51s if that's not far

15. bcutts

bcutts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the Pioneer HC51 in Dixons today, seemed to look ok (as far as the wife was concerned) but they couldn't demo it. Popped into Bracknell today to visit a local hi-fi dealer and got a demo of it against the Yamaha DVX-S100 which they also had. Both sounded fantastic on surround sound stuff but the Yamaha seemed slightly better on standard stereo CDs to my ears. Had a listen to the Pioneer NS-DV88 again and confirmed the fact that it sounded too laid back on stereo music

So I've decided and gone for the Yamaha. The dealer I bought it from will be throwing in a multi-region mod for it 'gratis' but this may take a week or so. Any idea how this is done? is it a chip or a firmware update? The Yamaha also is able to play DVD-Audio discs which may be a plus point in the future if they ever take off.

The system sound very balanced and the sound, even in 2 channel stereo is very three dimensional - unlike my original Bose system.

Many thanks to all those of you who came up with suggestions, it saved me a long time listening to totally inappropriate systems and has been helpful in getting an idea what to expect. Now all I have to do is put my old kit up for sale in the classified section.