Question New Wi-Fi Router to team up with Sky Hub

GTunney

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm on the lookout for a new router to team up with my Sky Hub SR102 as I'm just not happy with the wifi range of the hub and the fact it only handles 2.4Ghz. The plan is to set my Sky Hub in the DMZ and forward all traffic towards my new router. The New router will then handle all queries, DHCP, Firewall and Wi-Fi etc on a different LAN to the Sky Hub.

Internet > LAN1 (Sky Hub - 192.168.0.x) > WAN (New Router - 192.168.0.254) > LAN 2 (New Router - 192.168.1.x)

Does anybody have any reconmendations on a decent router priced about £50 GBP? It must have Wireless N and also be Dual Band 5Ghz. Gigabit is not a requirement as all my other devices are hooked up to an unmanaged swtich but if it's got gigabit then thats a bonus.

I have got my eye on D-Link DIR 842 AC1200 which I think would do the job. Internet is 76/20

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I think you're over complicating this - SOHO routers one behind the other can cause issues with NAT and routing (and possible firewall.) If you're just trying to fix a Wi-Fi issue, then simply add a Wi-Fi Access Point (AP) with the features you desire and leave everything else as is. If you're determined to use a SOHO router as an AP, you need to "cripple" it to render all it's routing/NAT/firewall functionality redundant. How to do so is described in the "Using two routers together" FAQ pinned in this forum.

Crap I never even thought of the double NAT. Was blinded by it just looking for a router.

That's the router idea out the window since can't disable NAT on sky Hun. Think I'll try and hunt out a 5Ghz Wireless AP.

Anybody got any recommendations?

Well if you don't mind a little bit of work with Wireshark you can "grab" the user name and password to allow you to replace your Sky router. I use a Draytek 2860 with my Sky ADSL and have never connected the Sky supplied router (I only took it outbid the box to use discover my ADSL username/password). The procedure is clearly demonstrated online if you search for it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom