New wheel dilemma

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Soundwave, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Soundwave

Soundwave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,452
    Howdo guys,

Right the time has come...I am about to start modding the Leon Cupra :devil::devil::devil:

So first thing as always is new wheels :D:D

Now I'm leaning towards a set of the new style Audi RS4 wheels but I'm 2 minds wether to get 18's or 19's

There is about £200 difference in price which doesnt really worry me I just wondered if you thought the 19's would be overkill or not??

Ta for any advice & watch this space for the future upgrades to follow ;)

Neil

2. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,659
    Looks wise I like big wheels, but whether comfort and car setup can handle it is a total different matter. Personally I think you can't beat stock, setup how it was intended....

Don't mistake a firm ride for a sporty ride....

3. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There's a fair couple of points there.
    I went from 17"s to 19"s and noticed that I can now feel all the little vibrations from the road through the tyres and into the car as the suspension is only designed to take care of the big bumps & bounces. Most cars do look nicer with bigger wheels, but I would have gone 18"s had it not been for the sheer amount of room under my arches that needed filling.

4. paulyoung666

paulyoung666
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,841
    and all those little vibrations are going to wear out the bushes etc , i would go with the 18;s if it was me :smashin:

5. Captain_Danger

Captain_Danger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Watch out for your insurance, Direct Line quoted me a £140 increase if I added non standard alloys.

6. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,659
    Eh shouldn't the overall diameter stay the same'ish! So whether you have 15" or 19" the amount of space between the tyre and the arches should stay the same....All will go wrong otherwise....In order to fill the arches you should lower the car...

7. Steve_B

Steve_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Just to throw my 2p's worth into the mix... As mentioned the larger you go the lower the profile rubber you need just to keep the rolling radius the same and not mess up the speedo etc There could also possibly be quite a jump in tyre costs and a much harder\harsher ride.

I would guess it is running 17's on reasonably lower profile rubber already? If so to go to 19's you will have to go down atleast two profiles to maybe 35's and if you go with wider rims and tyres maybe down to 30's :eek:

Not sure if you are looking at replicas or used genuine audi rims? For the most part cheap replica rims aren't made anyway near as well as the originals. Will be made from cheaper materials and so will weigh more, effecting the un-sprung weight of the car and muck up the handling and possibly acceleration.

Also check the ET offset is correct or very close for your car, and if you go wider you will need to get a different offset wheel to compensate... if not again effecting handling or rub on the inner or outer arches.

8. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's if it doesn't shake my fillings out first :D

Correct, but I'm thinking width as mine's quite a wide car so I've gine from 205 to 245mm tyres.

On another note, there's also the issues of curbs as you find yourself parking like a Taxi... a yard from the curb :thumbsdow

9. Digger

Digger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    You're possibly going to find it much easier to sell the car with the 18"s as opposed to the 19" in my opinion. If you do go for the 19"s then I would definitely hang on to the originals.

10. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    on a car like the leon I'd not go bigger than 18s. On my scooby 18" wheels were just fine - didn't need anything bigger. have you tried photoshopping the two sizes onto a photo of your car?

purely from an aesthetic POV there is a point where wheels can look too big. Plenty of golfs around my way that just put on the biggest wheels that fit, and they look stupid.

11. Captain_Danger

Captain_Danger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Very true.

I had a Golf and I had 16" wheels under it, but there was still loads of room under the arches. The perfect solution would have been to lower it an inch or two, but for insurance reasons I didn't.

Proportions are everything, there is a point where wheels can look ridiculous if they aren't suited to the car, or if it looks "jacked up" as in riding higher than it should be.

I think going with a slightly lower wheel size, then lowering the vehicle slightly is the perfect solution, but that might not be to everyones tastes.