NEW: Wharfedale Diamond 10 series

My current set up - Needs "tidying up" a bit and polishing!

Attachments

• SAM_0240.jpg
    SAM_0240.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 4,656
I would say that 10.2 are overkill for rear speakers. The Diamond 10.1 should be more than enough.

However, the Diamond 10.2 are a larger more versatile speaker, and if you ever break the system up, the 10.2 could be move to top notch stereo duties on another system. For that matter, front duties on another system. However, the Diamond 10.1 also make a pretty good stereo speaker.

I don't think you need more than the 10.0, but many people say they hear a real gain in moving from the 10.0 to the 10.1 in the rear. But, I'm not sure if you would get the same gain in moving from the 10.1, which is a pretty full range speaker, up to the 10.2.

Still, I'm sure the 10.2 would do a fanatastic job. The only concern I would have would be with the size. These are going to be pretty big speakers for bookshelf, make sure you really do have room for them. If you are confident that you do have the room, then the only dictating factor is your wallet, if it can stand the hit, then I can't see much down side.

Steve/bluewizard

I agree with above..... in my 5m x 5m room I tried 9.1's at front and Wharfedale satellites at rear with poor results so I settled for the 10.2's at the front and the 9.1's at the rear with a cm centre... much better range and versatility :smashin:

I upgraded my 10.1 fronts for 10.4 floorstanders a couple of days ago (moved my 10.1's to the rear replacing my 10.0's)

I am very happy with my purchase, they give a hell of alot more thump than the 10.1's and they havent even been broke in properly yet!

very nice mmmm! :D

Diamond 10.4 with 10.cm center a good match?

yes mate, i originally had the 10cm paired with 10.1's and even that posed no problems whatsoever,
It certainly is a large center speaker but it really looks like it means business especially with the 10.4 floorstanders beside it.

can the 10.cm be wall mounted?

No, The only way i can think of is to put a shelf on the wall, it is seriously a huge speaker so if u are thinking of buying one measure up first!!

I had to put my CM on the bottom shelf, it's a bit hard to see in this video YouTube - Philips amBX with XBMC (filmed on Kodak ZX1) Updated as the video was for highlighting the amBX system rather than the speakers, but it's there.

I have this shelf: FS205 Universal TV Stand w/ Shelves & Bracket for 32": Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Before i got the tv I have now I had the CM on the floating shelf at the top, but that was with a 40" tv with the TV sitting quite high, with the 55" tv I wasn't comfortable with sitting it too high, so the CM had to go onto the bottom shelf, then pn the top shelf is the HTPC, xbox 360 and amp, and on the floating shelf is the bluray player.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi guys,
My first post on here. Just wanting a bit of info/advice and this thread seems relevant.
In the next month or so i'll be moving in with my girlfriend, and i'm looking to add some quality front speakers to my current system when I do so. (Specifically i'm looking at wharfedale 10.4's)

My current system is:
Amp: Sony STR-DG820
Fronts: Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's
Rears: Some extremely poor quality non branded surrounds
Center: Wharfedale Diamond 9cc

So when I move in with the missus, i'll obviously be putting the new 10.4's i buy to the front, and the 9.1's to the rear on 50cm stands.

Basically my questions/concerns are:
- Is this a system that would work well together?
- Her living room is pretty small. Would this set-up be too powerful for a small room? And what are the disadvantages of having a powerful system in a small room?
- Are 50cm stands aqequate for rear speakers?

Some feedback from BlueWizzard would be much appreciated, but if anybody else has any useful comments then obviously i would be greatful.

Cheers,
Andy

Hi guys,
My first post on here. Just wanting a bit of info/advice and this thread seems relevant.
In the next month or so i'll be moving in with my girlfriend, and i'm looking to add some quality front speakers to my current system when I do so. (Specifically i'm looking at wharfedale 10.4's)

My current system is:

So when I move in with the missus, i'll obviously be putting the new 10.4's i buy to the front, and the 9.1's to the rear on 50cm stands.

- Her living room is pretty small. Would this set-up be too powerful for a small room? And what are the disadvantages of having a powerful system in a small room?

Some feedback from BlueWizzard would be much appreciated, but if anybody else has any useful comments then obviously i would be greatful.

Cheers,
Andy

I have a similar setup but I already have the 10.4s my lounge isnt overly big but they are fit in perfectly. The main thing about the 10.4s than the 10.3s is the extra driver so you have a better bass response.

I have the 10CC centre and the 10.1 rears and they are work fantastically together.

You wont be dissapointed in your purchase. The 10.1s are very similar to the 9.1s so I think they will be great.

My current system is:

Yes.Don't see a problem with this combination at all.Any further up the range from the 10.4 however,I would suggest that you introduce a 9/10CS centre.

Only you can say.What are the room dimensions?. The speakers may Physically intrude,but run the equalizer system on your amp and that will go a long way to setting them up sound wise.You don't have to have them at full belt anyway.

I would go for higher stands.The speakers really need to be above ear level and slightly behind your seated position.Judge this by the hight of your seating.

Which sub woofer are you going to use?

Cheers,
Andy[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your quick response Kubby.

I will certainly look into spending more in order to get higher stands if you think it would be worth it. Don't really want to wall mount them as she would not appreciate such a site in her living room.

In terms of the sub, is one really required, or will the speakers provide enough bass? I currently use an old Denon sub, so I could use this, although it's probably pretty miserable quality by today's standards.

In terms of the sub, is one really required, or will the speakers provide enough bass? I currently use an old Denon sub, so I could use this, although it's probably pretty miserable quality by today's standards.

I dont use a Sub with mine and they are fine! Maybe with films you might want a bit more bass but certainly for music etc you dont need one.

I dont have the 10.1's but do use the 9.1's without a sub, they sound plenty good enough, they wont do rumbling bass that will rattle the windows but a 2 hour action movie with that kind of bass can be very tiresome & soon loses its intial "Whoa that sounds impressive" :p

Last edited:
Which sub woofer are you going to use?

Cheers,
Andy
[/QUOTE]

Could anybody expand on the Kubby's suggestion of inserting a subwoofer into my proposed system? Since he mentioned this I have been looking into it, but there seems to be conflicting opinions. Some say the speakers give ample base on their own, but in other threads I have read that a decent sub is essential to get the best out of the speakers.
I feel like my budget is spiralling!!!

I only asked the subwoofer question on the assumption that you were heading in the direction of 5.1.

The centre speaker question then arose and, I suppose, it became apparent that you were looking for good performance from fewer speakers.

As you have mentioned a different centre speaker,I would only say that,ideally the centre should be of the same make and model as the fronts to maintain the same tone across the front sound stage.Your 9CC fits that bill.The Tannoy wont.

On the Sub,I have no doubts that the 10.4s will sound fine without.Remember,however that they only go down to 38hz give or take.That leaves quite some lower notes and tones that you just wont hear.The sub also re enforces the overall sound of the other speakers as well.

I'm not spending your money,but I would suggest that once you have heard the 10.4 with a sub,then take it away,you will notice the difference.

HERE is a good place to start.

Good luck,

K.

I only asked the subwoofer question on the assumption that you were heading in the direction of 5.1.

The centre speaker question then arose and, I suppose, it became apparent that you were looking for good performance from fewer speakers.

As you have mentioned a different centre speaker,I would only say that,ideally the centre should be of the same make and model as the fronts to maintain the same tone across the front sound stage.Your 9CC fits that bill.The Tannoy wont.

On the Sub,I have no doubts that the 10.4s will sound fine without.Remember,however that they only go down to 38hz give or take.That leaves quite some lower notes and tones that you just wont hear.The sub also re enforces the overall sound of the other speakers as well.

I'm not spending your money,but I would suggest that once you have heard the 10.4 with a sub,then take it away,you will notice the difference.

HERE is a good place to start.

Good luck,

K.

Thankyou for your advice so far Kubby. I have to say those subs are out of my price range for the moment given i'm already spending close to £400 on front speakers and stands. I was looking at something more like the below:

HYUNDAI 8" ACTIVE HOME CINEMA SUBWOOFER 100W 20cm BASS | eBay UK

WHARFEDALE VARDUS VRSUB10 SUBWOOFER (OPENED BOX, BLACK) - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/7691 for details

Would these be of a quality too low to make a difference/not worth getting in your opinion? Apologies but my knowledge of these things is limited to say the least.

Thanks again,

Andy

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thankyou for your advice so far Kubby. I have to say those subs are out of my price range for the moment given i'm already spending close to £400 on front speakers and stands. I was looking at something more like the below:

HYUNDAI 8" ACTIVE HOME CINEMA SUBWOOFER 100W 20cm BASS | eBay UK

WHARFEDALE VARDUS VRSUB10 SUBWOOFER (OPENED BOX, BLACK) - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/7691 for details

Would these be of a quality too low to make a difference/not worth getting in your opinion? Apologies but my knowledge of these things is limited to say the least.

Thanks again,

Andy

Cheap nasty subs there. I would suggest that you buy your speakers first of all and then upgrade to a sub at a later date should you feel the need.

Given your room dimensions you may find that you dont need one. I might add a sub to my set up later but it really isnt a priority as they sound fine without. If I did I would be getting one of the £400 ones from BK:

Sub Woofers

Well reccomended and worth saving up for if you want one. You dont need to have a sub straight away its not the most important aspect. Get the rest of your system right and add it as an addition later if needed.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
One of my 10.1s has developed a problem today, when playing dance music and a bassy part comes on there is an awful vibration sound coming from the cabinet. Its like a vibrating rattling sound. Checked everything is secure so it might be something inside. None of the others do it and its only started today so not sure what it could be. Its not distoration as its not even very loud.

Any ideas? Do I need to take it back to the shop?

Quote - ubistonk

- Are 50cm stands adequate for rear speakers?

- The speakers are from the same brand and series of speaker, any combination will work well together.

- How small is small? In general, the 10.4 is not a huge speaker and should work well in all by the very smallest rooms.

- 50cm or 19.7 inch stands. It depend on the speaker you put on them and the use to which you put the speaker. Generally, we want the tweeter to be at roughly ear level when you are sitting down. Though that is typically for front speakers. For rear speaker, though not absolute, we generally want them above ear level.

As to a sub or no sub, in a recent post a person wanted a new setup, and eventually settled on 10.4 in front and 10.1 in the rear. Because the TV was in a tight corner, there really wasn't room for a Sub. He seemed perfectly happy with the 10.4 and no sub.

So, to some extent, whether you get a sub is up to your preferences and space. Certainly you can get by without one, and if you feel you need more, it can always be added later.

Steve/bluewizard

One of my 10.1s has developed a problem today, when playing dance music and a bassy part comes on there is an awful vibration sound coming from the cabinet. Its like a vibrating rattling sound. ....

The 10.1's are the rear speakers? If so and you are playing stereo music, then the amp is synthesizing the rear channels, and may not be doing the best job of it.

The best you can do, is move the 10.1 to the front and play in PURE STEREO mode. If you still hear the buzz, then first make sure it is not something in the room rattling. Next, touch the speaker frames and connections, and see if you can find a mechanical rattle.

Next, listen very carefully to the cones and see if you can identify which cone the sound is coming from.

I would speculate that it would be extremely difficult to blow a rear speaker, since the load on them is not very intense. So, either you are playing at deafening sound levels, or more likely, the speaker has a defect that you have just noticed.

Again, put them on the front channels, and to eliminate complications, play in pure 2.0 stereo mode. See how the speakers sound then. These speaker should be able to handle a reasonable amount of power, but even the best speaker has a limit to the amount of abuse it can take. Also, it is generally not power that destroys speakers, but volume. Though once again, if these are the rear speakers, you would have to be abusing the system in the very extreme to damage the rear speakers.

Let us know what happens.

Steve/bluewizard

One of my 10.1s has developed a problem today, when playing dance music and a bassy part comes on there is an awful vibration sound coming from the cabinet. Its like a vibrating rattling sound. Checked everything is secure so it might be something inside. None of the others do it and its only started today so not sure what it could be. Its not distoration as its not even very loud.

Double checked everything is screwed down ok and it seems to be coming from the driver.

The 10.1's are the rear speakers? If so and you are playing stereo music, then the amp is synthesizing the rear channels, and may not be doing the best job of it.

The best you can do, is move the 10.1 to the front and play in PURE STEREO mode. If you still hear the buzz, then first make sure it is not something in the room rattling. Next, touch the speaker frames and connections, and see if you can find a mechanical rattle.

Next, listen very carefully to the cones and see if you can identify which cone the sound is coming from.

I would speculate that it would be extremely difficult to blow a rear speaker, since the load on them is not very intense. So, either you are playing at deafening sound levels, or more likely, the speaker has a defect that you have just noticed.

Again, put them on the front channels, and to eliminate complications, play in pure 2.0 stereo mode. See how the speakers sound then. These speaker should be able to handle a reasonable amount of power, but even the best speaker has a limit to the amount of abuse it can take. Also, it is generally not power that destroys speakers, but volume. Though once again, if these are the rear speakers, you would have to be abusing the system in the very extreme to damage the rear speakers.

Let us know what happens.

Steve/bluewizard

Yes they are the rears : checked everything I could check, put the rears into 2.0 mode and its still there, deffo coming from inside the speaker. Its only on the bassy bits but is coming from the main cone and its the only one that does it. Not sure what is causing this noise its just started and no they are not played at deafening levels either. When I turn the volume up I dont notice the rattling.

You put the rears in 2.0 mode but did you move them to the front channels. We are testing TWO things, the speaker and the amp channels. If the speaker sound fine on the front channels, then something is likely wrong with your rear channels. If you have the same problem with the speaker on the front channels, then it is not likely the amp.

From they way it sounds, the problem is something internal to the speaker. If could be something has come loose, or a wire has dropped down and is touching the cone, or the speaker cone/voice coil could be damaged or mis-shapen.

If you can absolutely narrow the problem down to the speaker, then take it to the dealer and see if he can find the actual problem.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom