New website planned!! will it cut the mustard??

Ned Senior

Hello all :hiya:
some of the old regulars here may remember I posted some time back about my search for a working from home job owing to disability!!!?

This weekend I invested a tiny sum in a website to sell designer clothing and accessories to youth mainly skaters
I feel it was worth the £100 I paid plus 30 day minimum term onwards at £10 a month via a dropshipper that was recommended elsewhere by someone I trust

The thing is at the price I paid the only payment option for customers is paypal...
do you think this will put many off

I can pay £300 and will then have credit card taking merchant facilities

should I immediateley go for this or hang 5 and see how it goes first

I might add I also have full stock images on disc to sell elsewhere i.e.: ebay or maybe on here if I get an advertisers membership!!!

Please give your thoughts in reply

It is important to me to not have to rely on the state even though I am very entitled due to mental illness

cheers now

Pinko

Banned
Well done for doing everything you can to earn a living with your condition :thumbsup:

Some websites I have used that have paypal allow you to use credit cards even if you are not signed up to paypal, so there should not be a problem if you don't have a paypal account.

Maybe the mods would be kind enough to allow you to put up a cheeky link in this thread :blush:

Ned Senior

the site is not live yet they quoted 48 hours and I want to check around there myself before promoting it in the wild

thanks for your thoughts guys

anyone looking in could you tell me how much a set of vinyl magnetic signs are the type private hire cabs use???
was thinking to get a few sets to stick on friends and family motors???

cheers

Marc

Distinguished Member
I don't think paypal should be a problem, especially considering your demographic. 16-18 year olds won't have a credit card and even a lot of older people try to avoid them these days.

The only thing i'd be concerned with is how easy it apparently is to get Paypal to refund you, so make sure you send things out recorded delivery if you weren't already planning to, and keep all the certificates for at least 90 days

Ned Senior

I don't think paypal should be a problem, especially considering your demographic. 16-18 year olds won't have a credit card and even a lot of older people try to avoid them these days.

The only thing i'd be concerned with is how easy it apparently is to get Paypal to refund you, so make sure you send things out recorded delivery if you weren't already planning to, and keep all the certificates for at least 90 days
yeah thats something I am insisting on probably special delivery cheers

chipchomper

Novice Member
the site is not live yet they quoted 48 hours and I want to check around there myself before promoting it in the wild

thanks for your thoughts guys

anyone looking in could you tell me how much a set of vinyl magnetic signs are the type private hire cabs use???
was thinking to get a few sets to stick on friends and family motors???

cheers
Try Vista print website mate usually FOC plus postage take care with the check boxes though because Ive seen posts about people gettin roped into scams of some sort, I havent used them for ages myself so not sure about that.

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Did you think about setting up your shop on ebay rather than just a website? we sell 90% of all our car parts on Ebay and only accept Paypal as a form of payment. At the same time though you can also set Paypal up to accept credit card payments if you want. I think the shop itself on ebay was only like £14.95 per month too.

Ned Senior

Did you think about setting up your shop on ebay rather than just a website? we sell 90% of all our car parts on Ebay and only accept Paypal as a form of payment. At the same time though you can also set Paypal up to accept credit card payments if you want. I think the shop itself on ebay was only like £14.95 per month too.
yesI plan to do this aswell although I have only bought items on ebay of late

do you know are your listings free once you pay the rental for your ebay shop???

will nip there later and have a browse!!

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
They are not free but you can list them for a whole month as a business seller, at the moment we pay just over £0.17 for each listing per month and currently have 1,500 items for sale. Check your margins though as there are ebay and paypal fees to come off the sale price.

DJMS

Only had a quick look but here are a couple of thoughts:

You should re-badge your Homeware page as Gifts instead. I clicked on that page first thinking what is he going to put in there as the title seems a bit out of sync with the general product set and feel of the site.

Also on the fragrences section you have a picture at the top of a bottle of Jon Paul Gauttier (sp?) but as far as I can see you arent selling any?

Feel free to disregard anything I've said.

Last edited:

Marc

Distinguished Member
The look is nice and clean, although personally i'm not a fan of fixed width sites i know that's the way the internet is headed..

you appear to be hotlinking your images devilwear.co.uk, is that also your site?

Also with regards to the images, they are scaled very badly. If you are using code to resize them, i would ditch that and make a thumbnail version of each image instead to improve the quality.

you could also do with remaking your logo in the top left as it seems to be suffering from some bad compression artifacts.

virtual22

Looks good mate, the only suggestions I'd have would be to leave out the manufacturer list, it just makes the site too long imo. Could you have this as a drop down menu instead? Also, I'd have an about us page with an address and phone number (apologies if you already have this, I only had a quick look). If I was spending £60 on a T shirt I would want an address and phone number of the retailer.

Finally, I'd decide on your core market, I just found it a bit odd having home wares on a site aimed at youngsters fashion. But hell, what do I know hey :thumbsup:

Jenn

Novice Member
The top bit where the logo and the "catch phrase" is more or less empty, you need something in there.

The logo itself looks lost and low quality. The catch phrase is a picture rather than text and it looks low quality. Having it as text would be better as it would also help to have the keyword clothing for search engines.

As already been said, you need to provide some contact details or it will put some customers off.

Jenn

Novice Member
It seems more worry than it is worth having a 3rd party doing the design and order fulfilment :eek: I am stressed already and thinking scrap it and just sell on ebay
My head feels ick
No need to be stressed about it, it's usual for customers to go back and forth with the designer to get to a finished product.
You just need to be quite clear and detailed about what it is you want to save the designer time and effort so he can do waht you want rather than guess it and get it not quite right.

Marc

Distinguished Member
hmm, ok well i think i may have discovered a business killing flaw, again related to the hotlinked images. If you go to the site they are hotlinked from, you can buy everything much much cheaper.. you really need to store the images locally so it's not so easy to find the drop shipper site as they sell to the general public as well, in fact their site is using the same template as yours in a different colour.

Almost seems like the dropshipper is using you, knowing you'll be eager to promote your new site, perhaps pay for advertising etc and they'll end up getting most of the traffic on their own site once people notice where your images come from

Last edited:

bearman3784

Distinguished Member
The lack of a phone number or postal address on the contact page would put me right off.
ditto, actually reminds me of most foreign scam websites

Pinko

Banned
Is 'lalafashion' as a brand going to appeal to the younger generation ?, maybe it's a bit late but I'd seriously think of a name change :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...

Latest News

Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Harman Kardon launches Citation Amp
  • By Andy Bassett