New washing machine advice

elsmandino

Hi there - I would be really grateful for some advice.

My 9kg Samsung Ecobubble has just given up the ghost, just over 5 years after purchase.

We were not particularly pleased with it to be honest - intermittent problems with the fabric softener drawer emptying too early, cycles randomly getting stuck and having to be reset. Furthermore, the bearings started to make a noise as well.

I did ring Samsung, to see what they could do, and they did offer me 25% off a new Samsung model (discount to be received by e-mail, within 24 hours).

I have not been put off by Samsung - lots of people seem to have had a great experience with them, so I think I was just unlucky (perhaps later models have fixed the issues that we were having).

With a £500.00 budget, what do think I should do? Having looked at Samsung's website, their machines are more expensive when bought directly from them so the 25% discount is not quite as appealing as it first seems (though they do all come with a 5 year guarantee).

Any advice on what to do would be much appreciated.

Squirty

Siemens still offer a 5 years parts and labour warranty on thier machines, and the Siemens line are still made in Germany ( Lots of the Bosch and Neffs are made in China/India now).
Plenty can be had for sub £500 if you fancy a change from Samsung.

elsmandino

Thanks very much, Squirty - definitely tempted by that. I am struggling to find any Siemens with both the 5-year warranty below £500.00. Any ideas on where I should be looking?

psychopomp1

Can you increase your budget by £100 or so? if so, buy the cheapest Miele such as this and you won't regret it. We bought our bottom of the range Miele washing machine for £550 in 2008 and after 13 years its still working flawlessly.

ashenfie

LG do 10 year a warranty. The LG we had worked perfectly and has not been problem free, unlike the many Bosch I had before . They are doing a cash back deal right now.

elsmandino

Can you increase your budget by £100 or so? if so, buy the cheapest Miele such as this and you won't regret it. We bought our bottom of the range Miele washing machine for £550 in 2008 and after 13 years its still working flawlessly.

Ah, I am so tempted by I think that 7kg would be just to small for us. Furthermore, I am slightly worried by the 2 year guarantee - I would have thought that Miele would have offered at least 5.

LG do 10 year a warranty. The LG we had worked perfectly and has not been problem free, unlike the many Bosch I had before . They are doing a cash back deal right now.
Does that 10 year warranty cover everything on the washing machine or is it specific to the motor, like my current Samsung machine?

ashenfie

Seams to have changed the parts and labour is 5 years and motor is 10years

Squirty

Thanks very much, Squirty - definitely tempted by that. I am struggling to find any Siemens with both the 5-year warranty below £500.00. Any ideas on where I should be looking?

Marks Electrical have some below £500 with free delivery and installation, but there are others in the same ballpark.

Carbon 60

Hi,

Looking at the Which? reviews for 9kg machines under £500 here's the top 3 (all Best Buys) -

With 80% the Hotpoint NSWM963CW is £319 at Sonic with 10 Year Parts & 1 Year Labour Guarantee. Which? say it cleans brilliantly, rinses well and has an excellent spin.

With 77% there's the Bosch WAU28T64GB for £429 from several retailers but it only has a 2 year manufacturer warranty (10 years on DD Motor) so I guess you won't be interested in that.

With 76% the Samsung (Series 5 ecoBubble) WW90TA046AH is £446 from Appliances Direct with 5 year manufacturer warranty.

Squirty

The Hotpoint 10 year guarantee is (almost) worthless imo. After the first 12 months it's anly a parts guarantee based on using (and paying for) their engineers only. Hotpoint's usual call out is £99 last time I asked, but that was a while ago so it may have changed.
Even if you don't opt for the Hotpoint engineer, there is often a case where the fault has to be reset using a Hotpoint laptop. So you're basically tied into Hotpoint for the life of the machine. (Same with Indesit and Whirlpool as they are all part of the same group).

There is the odd good case scenario with Hpt, and that's if it's a major repair such as the bearings (spoiler alert, it usually is). Then ofc since they change a complete outer tub unit for the callout/labour charge then it's a decent price.

I do have other issues with the way Which test their products, but that's for another day/thread.

Out of those three, I'd still be having the Bosch as long as it's a German or Polish made one.
In fact, that's exactly what I do currently have! :)

ashenfie

The Hotpoint 10 year guarantee is (almost) worthless imo. After the first 12 months it's anly a parts guarantee based on using (and paying for) their engineers only. Hotpoint's usual call out is £99 last time I asked, but that was a while ago so it may have changed.
Even if you don't opt for the Hotpoint engineer, there is often a case where the fault has to be reset using a Hotpoint laptop. So you're basically tied into Hotpoint for the life of the machine. (Same with Indesit and Whirlpool as they are all part of the same group).

There is the odd good case scenario with Hpt, and that's if it's a major repair such as the bearings (spoiler alert, it usually is). Then ofc since they change a complete outer tub unit for the callout/labour charge then it's a decent price.

I do have other issues with the way Which test their products, but that's for another day/thread.

Out of those three, I'd still be having the Bosch as long as it's a German or Polish made one.
In fact, that's exactly what I do currently have! :)
Agree any parts only warranty will have the issue that the labour will be nearly as much as a new machine

anotheruser

Surprised people really care about warranties these days.
For many, a machine can be a nightmare but when my machine breaks, it's likely in the 5 years+ since owning it, tech will have moved on so a new machine will be more efficient - likely more efficient to make it worth buying.

brunation

tech will have moved on so a new machine will be more efficient - likely more efficient to make it worth buying.
After spending an hour reading reviews (whilst buying a new machine) the one thing that's clear is that most people use 2 or 3 programmes and they want to wash a lot as quickly as possible. The biggest complaint is that the old machine did it in 60 mins the new one in 180mins.

Behindert durch technik ........

anotheruser

After spending an hour reading reviews (whilst buying a new machine) the one thing that's clear is that most people use 2 or 3 programmes and they want to wash a lot as quickly as possible.
Indeed!

Washing machines need to move on:

Get rid of the drawer - I would have thought in 10 years, sales of powder detergent will be very low, so like the VHS and tape decks, may as well stop having a mouldy drawer.

Bigger fabric conditioner drawer, machine auto puts in the amount it needs based on the wash load.

Two knobs - one for temperature and one for time. Minimum time will be 20 mins or whatever.

password1

Distinguished Member
Just get a Miele, they are quality and will last. Even the bottom of the range should last decades.

They cheaper machines with brushed motors is false economy.

Squirty

Just get a Miele, they are quality and will last. Even the bottom of the range should last decades.

They cheaper machines with brushed motors is false economy.

Not true on either count from my point of view. I've seen plenty of Mieles in the last few years that never made it to the five year mark. Don't forget most Mieles (apart from top of the range) now only carry a 2 year warranty (reduced from ten, to five and now only two). Main boards go and are not economically viable to repair.

As for brushed motors, they're far mor reliable than the recent inverter motors if you count the inverter board in that's required to drive it. I've fitted loads of the inverter cards to Bosch machines that cost £175 ish to fit. Whereas I still see and repair plenty of brushed motors that are ten years+ and cost a fraction of the price.

I do believe though, that like induction hobs (the first ones were always popping boards), that they will eventually sort out the reliability issue with inverter motors.

Last edited:

password1

Distinguished Member
I'm surprised they only have a short 2 year warranty. Would you say the latest Miele machines aren't as reliable as the old models?

Squirty

Definitely not! They're having to cut their cloth accordingly like every other manufacturer out there.
They're still at the top of the tree, though not quite as high as they used to be.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR