New war of the worlds. The best movie ever?

I saw the long trailer before Batman Begins and it was quite annoying as it seemed to give the first half of the film away! :mad:

As much as you try and avoid trailers, it’s difficult to do so when you’re in a cinema!

I was in LA the other week and saw the actual props all laid out from a or the crash scene in the film at Universal Studios, we actually rode through it on the tour and it was just amazing, the attention to detail of this scene was awesome. No props of the aliens were about though.

Possible Spoiler
I think that this has been in the trailer, but it was an aeroplane crash site and the plane had its roof off and there was debris everywhere etc

Just skimming the reviews seems overall its a great film but contains a few scenes which should not be in there and do damage the movie a little.

Cant wait Til sunday.

I have to say, my view on this film has turned completely. After reading some of the previews it looks like this won't just be a clone of Independence Day and looks like it will have some intelligence (why did I ever question Speilberg! :rolleyes: )

Chris Tookey from the Daily Mail says ‘I would be happy to argue, (WOTW is) the greatest action epic of all time.’ Here’s some other summary review roundups from the bbc.

Also, Empire have given their verdict here.

I have to say I’m very much looking forward to see this now. Can’t wait for Saturday! :)

I am setting off now to see the 10:45 showing at my local VUE, have stayed away from reviews so will report back later.

Indiana Jones said:
I am setting off now to see the 10:45 showing at my local VUE, have stayed away from reviews so will report back later.

Nice one Indiana - looking forward to your thoughts! :thumbsup:

Sombody may have already mentioned this - but another version of WOTW was filmed at the same time as the Blockbuster. It is 3 hours long and sticks to the HG Wells 1900s London storyline (I guess like the musical version). It is only available on DVD.

Has anybody seen it?

It's supposed to be pants, made by "pendragon". Looks like the end of year primary school play version though.

Looking forward to seeing this even more now after looking at the review scores. I have not read the reviews yet as i dont want it to taint my opinion prior to seeing it.

I'm sure while watching it I'll be hearing Phil Lynott screaming

"The voice of the Devil is heard in our Land!!"

Can't wait!

...PJ :)

Oh dear ...

Well, let's start from the beginning: The opening (narration by Morgan Freeman) sounds corny and Tom Cruise, who plays a dock worker, isn't really believable, trying too hard. Dakota Fanning, who plays his daughter, is just screaming most of the time while her movie brother Justin Chatwin pretends to be a child-psychologist and wannabe-soldier.
The story is lame, Spielberg trying the typical broken familiy concept: dad a divorcee and looser, son a bad boy and the smart-ass daughter. None of them are convincing in their roles and certainly no-one is going to win an Oscar here.
But the movie also has more holes than Swiss cheese - yes, it's an action/sci-fi film but here I nearly suspect intention. The effects are ok but nothing we haven't seen before and the aliens in action are the only bearable parts of the whole flick.
But the worst thing is the happy end, it's so cheesy I nearly had to vomit.

The best movie ever? No, maybe not the worst either but it's bad, and finally proof that Spielberg is a highly overrated director.

* * out of 5 :thumbsdow

The opening (narration by Morgan Freeman) sounds corny...
The opening narration is, I believe, taken verbatim from the novel. If this is the case we'll take your definition of "corny" with a pinch of salt.

dad a divorcee and looser, son a bad boy and the smart-ass daughter. None of them are convincing in their roles and certainly no-one is going to win an Oscar here.
Strange then that many (professional) reviews have used words like "astounding" and "stunning" to describe Dakota Fanning's performance.

- yes, it's an action/sci-fi film but here I nearly suspect intention.
Anyone else have a clue what this means? :confused:

...and finally proof that Spielberg is a highly overrated director.
On look at his CV proves otherwise. If anything, Speilberg -at least in critical circles- is highly under-rated as a director.

I have just got back and me and my sis enjoyed it very much.
Sure there were some parts in it which you wouldnt miss if they had been cut and you knew that at some point you were going to see the Americans whoop ass but I still think that overall it played out very well and I am glad they kept the original ending, there were rumors they wouldnt as they didnt think people would understand it but I much prefer the original ending from the book compared to something involving a laptop and a suicide flight.

Also, I thought having the narration was a nice touch, maybe it would have been a little better if they had used someone else (narration in teaser trailer seemed better) but it was still nice to have it at the start and end of the film and overall I think the film was a great modern day retelling of the story.

Indiana Jones said:
...and a suicide flight.

...wasn't a crop-sprayer was it? ;) ...PJ

If all else fails you can watch the original (and best?) on C5 this Sunday afternoon. 15:00 start I think

Dr Diversity said:
...(and best?)

Don't take sentimentality too far!

Back in 197whatever when Jeff Wayne's album was released they also re-ran the original movie at the cinema. Whether deliberate or not the local paper reviewed the album and then went on to say something like "and if you want to see the visuals to accompany the album they are playing at the cinema this week" which led many people to believe the movie advertised was something different.

Obviously the cinema staff had taken a pummelling that week with many disgruntled customers because they resorted to telling everyone as they entered "you do know this is the original film that's been on TV don't you?".

Enjoyed the film but remember that the film they ran before it was probably just as entertaining, can't remember the title but some creepy guy walked funny and I think there was a silver ball or something which drilled into your head!

Them were the days!...PJ :)

PJTX100 said:
...the film they ran before it was probably just as entertaining, can't remember the title but some creepy guy walked funny and I think there was a silver ball or something which drilled into your head!

Them were the days!...PJ :)

I think you mean phantasm, rather good actually.

Maff et1 said:
I think you mean phantasm, rather good actually.

Yep, think that was it! Nice one! :smashin:

The guy deserved an oscar for walking like that, must've really had to concentrate.

It did have a very eerie atmosphere around it, but I couldn't really follow what was going on. Bit like Donnie Darko I suppose!...PJ :)

Ill keep it nice n simple.. was a good film, effects were excellent, but dont think i could sit through it again...

but worth watchin....

There u go, i think i should become a film reviewer :rotfl:

Excellent, great review mate :)

i can't wait to see this film this weekend.

Quite a bit of story and brilliant effects. Well worth a watch.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom