New war of the worlds. The best movie ever?

I will say i am looking forward to this big time, straight away i will say i have never read the original book or watched the original film, so i have no "its not going to be faithful to the book" problems i just want a great film to watch, i have been disapointed with alot of the blockbusters for a while now like Day after tomorrow, I Robot, Alexander, to name 3 of many,

The difference for me is this is directed by Steven Spielberg who i believe is one greatest film directors so i have huge faith that he is going to deliver a film i like, whether or not it follows the book i dont care personly as i never read it :)

WOTW on the other hand stems from a work of literature and hence should aim to put across said literature's themes.
Gosh - thanks for pointing this out to me Gorshin. Especially as I have already pointed this out to you, both here and on another thread. Nice to know you've been paying attention though. :smashin:

You however seem to have made up your mind that the film won't attempt to convey these themes. And all without seeing the movie. Did you get the crystal ball on E-Bay or Amazon?
If it ends up being an action film then perhaps Michael Bay should have directed/Bruckheimer produced. The trailers show just action.
The trailers portray a great deal of what is in Wells' novel. A sense of doom. Helplessness. Fear. Panic. Large scale destruction. The rout of humanity. Slaughter. The mass exodus from the cities. Perhaps you think these have no place in an adaptation of "The War of the Worlds"? Or maybe you've got a really clever way of portraying the themes of Wells' novel in a two minute cinema trailer?

Bearing in mind we are talking about two minutes of clips from a 2 hour-plus movie, I think there is adequate time for plot, character and all that other non-5.1 stuff.

Wells would turn in his grave
Yes. Myopia, artistic conservatism and closed mindedness would have greatly p****d him off. :smoke:

At the risk of getting back on topic...

The difference for me is this is directed by Steven Spielberg who i believe is one greatest film directors so i have huge faith that he is going to deliver a film i like, whether or not it follows the book i dont care personly as i never read it

Exactly. If this was some cinematic hack like Paul W.S. Anderson at the helm of this movie, we'd have every right to be concerned.

But we are talking about an enormously talented film maker, who has in his adaptations of works of literature to the screen, repeatedly shown a respect for and understanding of the literary source.

The odds are well stacked in its favour. Let's hope it doesn't disappoint. :smashin:

answer to the original question, er no, The Good the Bad and the Ugly is the best movie ever, not some CGI reliant film :thumbsdow

Guys, When I started this thread It was really to point out a trailer for a film which I belive could be more entertaining than This summers effort from mr Lucas :D

The best movie ever tag was menat to raise discusion about the film , not start arguments. :(

I for one am very much looking forward to this movie, alot more infact than I was for starwars and defenatly more than for independence day.

Lets hope Mr Speilberge delivers on the hype :thumbsup:

Also the itle of this thread is an actually question not a statement.

"New war of the worlds.The best movie ever?"

Original post below. :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok,
here is the trailer for the new war of the worlds movie.

Is it going to be the biggest blockbuster of the year? could it knock revenge of the sith Off of its top spot?

WAR OF THE WORLDS FULL TRAILER

Blondie said:
answer to the original question, er no, The Good the Bad and the Ugly is the best movie ever, not some CGI reliant film :thumbsdow

It's not even Leone's best film. That is either 'Once Upon A Time in America' or 'Once Upon A Time In The West'. Greatest film ever is Godfather Part 2.

And they're trying every trick in the book to make you part with your wonga. Even not showing what the aliens look like. They must think we're shallow mindless fools.

it makes a refrshing change for a trailer that leaves you with something left to watch when you actually go to see the film :smashin:

I draw your attention to the body of works by the great actor Bernard Breslaw, and put it to you that the finest film in the history of the universe is indeed Hawk The Slayer.

I'm looking forward to it and I'm not expecting it to be like the book, or the original film, which is now a classic and not like the book either.

I just know though that SS will put some of his trademark sentimental slush in as he does in all his films and they all would be better without it. But I live in hope.

Xusia Of Delos said:
I draw your attention to the body of works by the great actor Bernard Breslaw, and put it to you that the finest film in the history of the universe is indeed Hawk The Slayer.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Joe Pineapples said:
it makes a refrshing change for a trailer that leaves you with something left to watch when you actually go to see the film

I really hope that is true, as there’s not much in the trailer that is getting me that excited.

Tejstar said:
I really hope that is true, as there’s not much in the trailer that is getting me that excited.

The trailer looks very antiseptic imo. Where's the gravity or emotion? This should be a biblical level event, not Tom Cruise proctecting his little 'moppet'. God I hate that phrase! Kubrick would have been our man...

Originally posted by Xusia Of Delos

Sir, I challenge that statement on one point! So while still drawing your attention to the works of the great Bernard Breslaw, I put it to you that the finest film in the history of the universe is in fact, without a doubt...Krull.

btw, I think WOTW looks very promising. Spielberg + epic SF material = must see in my book.

I'll watch pretty much any old sci-fi clap trap. In this case, the turd is indeed polishable.

Gorshin said:
It's not even Leone's best film. That is either 'Once Upon A Time in America' or 'Once Upon A Time In The West'. Greatest film ever is Godfather Part 2.
You are kidding right :eek: :eek:
for one where's Clint :smashin:
:oops: sorry to go off track :thumbsdow

You cannot beat the Jeff Wayne musical version. If they made that into a film, it would be a hit.

verwood said:
You cannot beat the Jeff Wayne musical version. If they made that into a film, it would be a hit.
Guess you havent heard about the CGI version of War of the Worlds that Jeff Wayne is making, due out in 2007.

Indiana Jones said:
Guess you havent heard about the CGI version of War of the Worlds that Jeff Wayne is making, due out in 2007.

Now I'd buy that for a dollar.
They better damn well use the late great Richard Burton's voice from the album too (there must be loads of material from his original sessions that they could use), or I will be very disappointed. Just checked out the site too - www.thewaroftheworlds.com - some nice images on there that look very promising

Indiana Jones said:

Wow! That sounds great. I have always been a WOTW fan, so I can hardly wait!!

Most definately not the best movie ever. Never should have been remade. Now, Day of the Triffids has to be worth a remake!

Have you seen it then Dr. D?

SPOILER (ish):

A tantalizing glimpse of a Martian.

I do emphasise glimpse (watch carefully).

the_pauley said:
SPOILER (ish):

A tantalizing glimpse of a Martian.

I do emphasise glimpse (watch carefully).

This film has really been kept under wraps, prem was last night and still no proper reviews, even that early screening was canned in fear of piracy

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom